cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Residential vs Repair RV Fridge

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Another problem here and found out on the land yacht's maiden voyage that the 4 door Norcold in never cold and now using the freezer area for the fridge.
So, I know this has been around a number of times
and have even commented on the numerous threads, myself, but there may possibly be another problem to contend with here.
We're at LazyDays for the weekend and more info mostly I ask at the expert desk in the store here, about their labor and procedure for replacing the Fridge with whatever. He says that firstly, the windshield must be removed for getting it out and getting the other in and they will undoubtedly break this $3K windshield in the process.
I find that hard to believe for a given an something the customer will be stuck with.
Now after taking some measurements with the coach entry door removed it's 27" and with some rough measurements of the fridge, I can't see where it can be more than 23" deep max., so I don't get where this guy is coming from.
Anyway, if anyone knows of someone and in SW Florida or elsewhere, please advise. I may be able to do this myself with a little help, even at my age, but need to explore all these possibilities first.
Also where are those that are replacing just the cooling units and especially the Amish type, getting this done?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)
42 REPLIES 42

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
Owning a Winnebago with a glued windshield taking the windshield out is a no go for me.

Not many have to go that route and as long as you don't go talking to someone at the expert desk at Lazydays. First thing out of his mouth, was, we'll undoubtedly break your $3K windshield and the only way to do it. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry or that one.
Ours will actually go through the door, but maybe better to use the huge passenger side window for this and what is actually recommended by most installers, depending on who you talk to.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Bill1374 wrote:
Tropical, I've been in rvs since the early 70s and this is the first Dometic I've had quit on me. I'm the second owner of this coach so I don't know it's early history. And yes, it's the double door similar to the Norcold. Even a bit pricey, I'm content with my decision to repair.

Can't knock that. Our 98 is still going strong and will freeze out if not careful. With NC, it's not a question of repair, it's for similar functionality, so rather than a expensive replacement that may or may not work well, the res. models seem like a logical way to go at 1/3 the cost and especially if you're already equipped with the battery power and inverter setup, which we are. I even have the inverter setup in our old 98 tropical and do wish someone would come and buy this fine old rig.
Having said all this, I have the NC set on high and down in the mid 30's empty and no door opening to speak of, so soon we'll see, but I think I already know the eventual answer.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Owning a Winnebago with a glued windshield taking the windshield out is a no go for me.

Bill1374
Explorer
Explorer
Tropical, I've been in rvs since the early 70s and this is the first Dometic I've had quit on me. I'm the second owner of this coach so I don't know it's early history. And yes, it's the double door similar to the Norcold. Even a bit pricey, I'm content with my decision to repair.
KZ Montego Bay in Florida
Rockwood lite up north
2016 HD Street Glide, 12 Fatboy for cruisin

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
cruiser51 wrote:
I have an 06 Rev Le E bath & 1/2, I also removed the norcold through the front door and brought my new RF18 in the same way. I lowered the floor about 2 inches and took the rest from the top. We love it! I would be more than happy to help you with it but I am in WI, unless you are heading this way. I could show you a pict but I cant upload it here. If you have any question just ask.

Oh and by the way, including any other members, that may be interested in uploading photos here....
PHOTO UPLOAD

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
cruiser51 wrote:
I have an 06 Rev Le E bath & 1/2, I also removed the norcold through the front door and brought my new RF18 in the same way. I lowered the floor about 2 inches and took the rest from the top. We love it! I would be more than happy to help you with it but I am in WI, unless you are heading this way. I could show you a pict but I cant upload it here. If you have any question just ask.

Thanks and will send you a PM with my email addy...

cruiser51
Explorer
Explorer

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
I have been doing lots of measurements lately. I found the RF18 is tall so installing it in a slide or over a furnace poses some challenges.

Check the dimensions on the RF220NCTABC. It is much shorter but deeper. The width should not be a problem either.

It is 65 inches high, 29 inches wide, and will take 33-36 inches of depth.

The weight is comparable. I am amazed that this refer has so much room.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Bill1374 wrote:
I'm going through this same dilemma now. I have decided that since I spend 4 to 5 weeks each year without hookups, I'm staying with the Dometic and just going to replace the cooling unit.

Bill

You have a Dometic 4 door that looks like the Norcold 1200 or what?
I have an old Dometic that's just great in the old coach, so had all the faith in the world with this brand and especially since the original 98 ac's are still going strong and the original awning still looks as good as it ever did.

Bill1374
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going through this same dilemma now. I have decided that since I spend 4 to 5 weeks each year without hookups, I'm staying with the Dometic and just going to replace the cooling unit.

Bill
KZ Montego Bay in Florida
Rockwood lite up north
2016 HD Street Glide, 12 Fatboy for cruisin

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tinstar wrote:
Executive,,,, I read your write-up on your Samsaung install. You said the weight of it was around 450 lbs (loaded). I think the Samsung 17.5 cu.ft. is only 230 lbs. (actually lighter than the Norcold @244lbs). Do you have that much food with you are did you get a different model fridge? I know you're a full timer but over 200 lbs is still a lot of food.

My wife is Italian....need I say more...????:B:B:B:B.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
TANDDANDBIGE wrote:
Not any help.. but... Who was the wise one that started installing refrigerators on top of furnaces and hot water heaters????? I have seen both and can only shake my head.......

Former WV native says, it is what it is and it was never expected that one would want to change it out to a residential at the time of install. Nowadays, you may get a residential with a new purchase and again, if it fails, you're expected to replace it with what came with it or close.
I'm already thinking Dometic if we go the RV route and again, the one in our old 98 rig, can't be beat.
Gonna really miss old Bessie and for a lot of reasons, but I'll get over it, I'm most sure....lol

TANDDANDBIGE
Explorer
Explorer
Not any help.. but... Who was the wise one that started installing refrigerators on top of furnaces and hot water heaters????? I have seen both and can only shake my head.......
2002 HR ENDEAVOR 40'
2007 FORD EDGE TOAD

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
OP, you must not have read my previous post or the post on my DIY install. I found a Whirlpool 21 CuFt top freezer unit that came within 1/2" height of fitting where the 1200 goes. At 21 CuFt it's not a counter depth (24") unit so with the kitchen slide in the doors will not open all of the way.
By removing the plywood floor and putting side rails in for the refer to sit on (much the same as DSDP did) I was able to save the drawer below that the DW wanted. HERE is my DIY install with model numbers.

Actually I did read it and with great interest, but unfortunately the galley slide isn't across from the fridge (check out the 40E floor plan and brochere) and DW is set on having double doors, that don't swing out so much, otherwise I'd have a 10 cu ft, short depth, 24in wide single door apartment model in there and be done with it. Fridge's aren't on my priority list in the least bit and would rather concentrate my efforts elsewhere. Have never understood why they're so big, unless to impress and for the WOW factor. I mean there are food stores everywhere, so why store enough for a month of Sundays. Don't even like ice makers and would just as soon store a bag full of ice. This business of water in the door, is for what and maybe for not opening the door so much if you have one of the infamous NeverColds. They should be hanging their heads in shame, with all they put out there on the public and think I'll attempt to give them a call tomorrow for some possible answers.
Don't really mean to rant so much, for someone who's actually seeking help and advice here, but thanks for the opportunity anyway.