cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roadtrek Zion dual dumping system

gerrym51
Explorer
Explorer
Roadtreks Zion come with the first Dual dumping system in a b.

it has both a macerator and a dump port gravity drain

zion system
28 REPLIES 28

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
I installed it on the large black tank, and it had a quick disconnect. I had to crouch down to connect the water hose. On the 190 P you still have to hose out the smaller tank once in a while.

The piece of clear hose stays connected to the Tornado, and you mount the other end in a convenient location. Mine didn't have the vac breaker.
Of course you have to get under the van for the install.

Explorer
Explorer
Arizona Kid wrote:
I used a Tornado flusher. Made things very easy.
Tornado tank rinser.

Did you have this installed into your black tank - and how did you make the connection accessible without crawling under the van?
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
I used a Tornado flusher. Made things very easy.
Tornado tank rinser.

Explorer
Explorer
loving retirement wrote:
wincrasher65 wrote:
Seems like a waste of money to me, as well as unneccesary complication and future maintenance issue. If it will drain by gravity, why would you need a macerator?

After checking it out, this arrangement appears to be less complex than Roadtreks previous masceator setups and offers the advantage of a dual dumping system. Moving the black tank gate value to the side of the Zion has eliminated the long control rod for the black dump value which broke on my setup. I could find nothing about a gray tank gate value - where is it?

In the short video about the dual dump system, just off to the left there is a quick glimpse of the grey and black tank gate handles. The video never shows these being pulled and only shows opening a gate for the gravity dump which seems to be done in addition to pulling the usual handles.

Explorer
Explorer
booster wrote:
avanti wrote:
Could somebody explain the "back flush" concept to me? How is it better than sticking a hose down the toilet?

You can just hold up the slinky and put the water right into it to fill the tanks. The water running backwards often will get more stuff broken loose or debris dislodged if it is stuck.

Plus, no hose or buckets to drag into the van.

Absolutely! I have to do it now with a hose that comes through the van to the toilet. The last trip of the past season when we had to do this it was pouring and it never got done. And it never really works very well anyway. It would have been so much easier to have the ability to connect a hose to a slinky outside and just turn on the water.

booster
Explorer
Explorer
avanti wrote:
Could somebody explain the "back flush" concept to me? How is it better than sticking a hose down the toilet?

You can just hold up the slinky and put the water right into it to fill the tanks. The water running backwards often will get more stuff broken loose or debris dislodged if it is stuck.

Plus, no hose or buckets to drag into the van.

gerrym51
Explorer
Explorer
1775 wrote:
The dual system sounds great to me. I have the standard Roadtrek macerator and it has been fine but there is no way to back flush the black tank through the hose and I would like to have that ability. A gravity system can always have a portable macerator added.

I would like to have this new system retro-fitted to my 11C190P but it sounds like Roadtrek is not going to make that available.

I got very interested in the Zion until I learned there is no outside storage compartment - no place for a wet/muddy hose, power cord, etc. other than inside.

Robert-i'm going to fit a plastic box in the gap between driver side couch and back door on the zion-i think it will hold some stuff. other than that i guess it's a plastic box inside a drawer-what can i say-i love the zion-lol- most of the sprinter models are like that if e-trek package

avanti
Explorer
Explorer

loving_retireme
Explorer
Explorer
wincrasher65 wrote:
Seems like a waste of money to me, as well as unneccesary complication and future maintenance issue. If it will drain by gravity, why would you need a macerator?

After checking it out, this arrangement appears to be less complex than Roadtreks previous masceator setups and offers the advantage of a dual dumping system. Moving the black tank gate value to the side of the Zion has eliminated the long control rod for the black dump value which broke on my setup. I could find nothing about a gray tank gate value - where is it?

Explorer
Explorer
The dual system sounds great to me. I have the standard Roadtrek macerator and it has been fine but there is no way to back flush the black tank through the hose and I would like to have that ability. A gravity system can always have a portable macerator added.

I would like to have this new system retro-fitted to my 11C190P but it sounds like Roadtrek is not going to make that available.

I got very interested in the Zion until I learned there is no outside storage compartment - no place for a wet/muddy hose, power cord, etc. other than inside.

BudJ
Explorer
Explorer
avanti wrote:
IMO, anyone who doesn't have a permanently-installed macerator is a dangerous masochist. It is less about convenience than about having a totally-sealed system. I agree that a gravity backup is a good thing, but I would never use it except under extreme duress.

I agree avanti. Having sh*t everywhere with, from a macerater must be some form of "extreme duress".

Bud

avanti
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, anyone who doesn't have a permanently-installed macerator is a dangerous masochist. It is less about convenience than about having a totally-sealed system. I agree that a gravity backup is a good thing, but I would never use it except under extreme duress.

BudJ
Explorer
Explorer
With my Roadtrek, dumping is a pain in the ......, and I can't use raised dumps. So the Zion, solves the pain in the, and the raised dump problem. Some B are better than my Roadtrek for dumping.

So ok, Roadtrek could save a little on expenses and just have the nice gravity dump. If someone has the application to use a macerator and dump in their toilet at home or wherever, they just use a portable macerator.

But think about it, with a $100,000 B, the slightly less cost would not offset the perceived advantages many folks will have.

I think that Roadtrek made the right marketing decision.

Whatever your preference, Roadtrek has got it covered with the Zion.

Bud

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
NCWriter wrote:
Arizona Kid wrote:

....many dumps at campgrounds are too high to use the gravity dump...

I'm curious, where have you encountered this? After staying in more than 100 campgrounds in the US and Canada the past five years, I honestly can't recall any with dumps impossibly high for gravity systems.

I have been to several places where there is a curb that the hose has to go over before going into the dump hole. Ive had to walk my sewage to get it out of the hose. Some other place were just higher than the Rt dump hose, and I had to dump on the way out of the park. Roadtrek's drain in the Chevy, and Dodge is very low.