cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running engine when stopped

Morden
Explorer
Explorer
Class B without a generator. If I leave the vehicle engine running until we go to bed will this do any harm? My thinking is that this will maintain battery power for overnight. I realize it will consume fuel but that cost should not be an issue. The primary battery consumption at a truck stop overnight will be lights and furnace (if used) and perhaps TV on an inverter.
30 REPLIES 30

Kimbopolo
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 really solid AGMs. But if I'm sitting in one place for more than 1 day, they must be replenished. I either run the genny for an hour or (if it's a quiet campground with quiet neighbors) run the engine for 15 minutes twice a day. Both methods seem to give me the boost I need. (Sorry I can't quantify the amps - too busy having fun to unpack the manual voltmeter).

Of course, it's just me and my power usage is minimal.
2010 Roadtrek 190 Popular
http://www.kimbopolo.blogspot.com

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
Morden's B is a 2000 Ford Excel and I don't know if engine idling is a good thing or not. Someone with knowledge could answer that. As I mentioned earlier, good battery management and knowing your capabilities is the answer. I suppose if you had charge your batteries in an emergency situation you could, first, just drive around and find a reason to go some place. Or secondly, treat it like you would a generator. When I did run my generator I closed the windows on the exhaust side and did not occupy my B in a sleeping or closed in living situation. With the generator below the bed/sofa it would have been a magic fingers experience anyway. We set up outside and usually our generator running was for a short period of time to brew coffee connected to an AC outlet. Running the engine, however, does not give you AC outlet power so it would only be done for battery charging. But if it is OK to do so, just do so while outside the B.

In our next B (Sprinter) we will have fast idle engine idling capability for up to 2 hours and it will run the air conditioner and AC power with a second alternator and high capacity inverter. I don't anticipate using the feature except in an emergency low battery situation, if ever. And, if so, would treat using it in a similar manner I described.
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

jjson775
Explorer
Explorer
You can easily camp overnight on one battery, did it many times in a PW Excel. Never had or needed a generator. If you ride around during the day visiting a national park, for example, it will keep the battery charged. Bad idea to leave the engine idling.

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with VE3ESN. With one 95ah battery I can dry camp anywhere and as Davydd says, with judicious use of power, shouldnt be a problem, especially with 2 batteries. I usually start my generator in the morning and recharge the house battery, if I am staying in one place for several days and not at an RV Resort. If I need power for the microwave, tv or other heavy uses I run the generator. Problem for some is that running generators must be in areas where local bylaws are not prohibitive, where rv neighbours dont get mad and if in a national/state park, rules dont prohibit use--when YOU want to start the generator. Until I trade up, I still manage with my basic unit.

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
We take winter trips to southern destinations from our Oakville location and have never stayed in a motel even though most campgrounds in the north or near north are closed. We do stay overnight at Flying J's, Walmarts, etc. and have never had any problem with insufficient energy at night even with our cheap and puny 95 A-h type 24 marine/RV flooded-cell house battery from Costco. All our lights have been upgraded to LED types, and we'll watch a minimum of TV to save the energy for the furnace blower and water pump. For safety issues, I would never contemplate idling the engine for such long periods even if the alternator could supply enough energy to keep the house battery fully charged (which I doubt it would).
Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)

BigDan1
Explorer
Explorer
2 auxiliary batteries , a solar panel 145W , leds instead of bulbs ...

been on this for 3 years ...never had any problem
but then I dont run a microwave or A/C when boondocking

dfinitely not a good idea to let it idling .......

jjrai
Explorer
Explorer
We have a carbon monoxide detector. We idle for naps in cold weather. Just a couple of hours, generally. I would not do that without the CO detector.

booster
Explorer
Explorer
TerriRa wrote:
I am a bit confused about some of the replies here because I am currently planning to buy a new Roadtrek with the E-trek package. From my understanding, that means that the generator actually runs off of the engine. So in that case, I assume the unit is *designed* to allow the engine to be run while sitting still, correct?

There has been a lot of discussion on this topic, especially the idling of the etrek or any other newer Sprinter more than an hour or two, regardless of hazard.

I don't think running a van while inside sleeping is a good idea, but I would say the same for running the generator, as both could put CO into the van if there is a leak. Many folks do run the generator all night and are still alive, but there is a risk involved IMO. If not sleeping not as big a deal.

TerriRa
Explorer
Explorer
I am a bit confused about some of the replies here because I am currently planning to buy a new Roadtrek with the E-trek package. From my understanding, that means that the generator actually runs off of the engine. So in that case, I assume the unit is *designed* to allow the engine to be run while sitting still, correct?

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still stuck on the fact that you want to leave a vehicle running all day with your family in it?

Thousands of people die a year from doing that and often from a shorter amount of time. None, zip, nada of any type of advice offsets ever leaving the motor running all day while you are in it.

An RV is not some magical vehicle that doesn't have the same carbon monoxide dangers as a car does.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
Excessive engine hours will take a toll.

Morden
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all - great help - I think we'll be fine.

> Pleasureway Excel wide body 2000
> All overnight without power will be at a truck stop / Cracker Barrel / etc.
> Fridge on propane
> Furnace off or very low
> Hopefully not much below freezing on occasion
> Almost always only one night followed by a day of driving

Happy travels ......

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I did in my small C, partly to reduce battery drain, was to relocate the furnace thermostat. I put it where's it's easy to reach from the head of the bed. (This was also done to reduce or eliminate the blasts of furnace noise that awakened me too frequently at night.)

Now I usually go to bed with the furnace off. I can heat the coach up before getting out of bed. If the cold wakes me, I can easily turn it on for a few minutes, then off.

Jim, "The past, the present, and the future walk into a bar. It was tense."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
Morden,

You have two house batteries so are well covered for lights, TV and furnace use overnight. It might help if you said what Class B you have as I suspect if it is only a year old it may already have LED lighting and all these suggestions may not be necessary. Regardless, if you don't have LED lights, with two house batteries, changing them out would only be a slight bonus. We still have halogen ceiling lights.

Just practice conservative use. Don't leave lights on unnecessarily. For sleeping you don't have to run a furnace all night long or you can lower the temperature setting to as low as you can tolerate with the sleeping blankets you have. We use sleeping bags rated down to 20F so never turn our furnace on until just before climbing out of bed in the morning. You only need to turn on your hot water about 20 minutes before using it. Don't leave it on constantly. One thing you didn't mention was your refrigerator. If it is a three-way then simply run it on propane.

With our current 2011 Great West Van Legend we have two house batteries and a generator, but over 4 years and 65,000 miles we have but 14 hours on it. We have dry camped up to 5 straight days several times. Our generator use has never been to charge our batteries. It has been mostly for testing and exercising before trips and to brew coffee in the morning. Unfortunately, unless you have a large inverter you will not be brewing coffee by running your engine. Since you mentioned truck stop, that implies to me you will be driving that day you stop and when you get up in the morning. Driving will more than charge your batteries.

I guess what I am saying is, bottom line, you should never have to idle your engine to charge batteries while stopped. You will learn that with experience.
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B