cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Services at nonselling dealer

setraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We are moving in next year from SE to NW. We will purchase new/newer RV in SE, and plan to travel for month or so on way to new home...Selling dealer will be out of picture and while in transit and when arrive will have to use local dealers for warranty, etc. What has been the experience, to include brand names, of those whom experienced repairs, warranty, etc from other then selling dealer,
40 REPLIES 40

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
usersmanual wrote:
I have been involved in the RV sales and repair business since 1985
we for the most part always make money on warrenty repair but not quit at the same rate as our door rate.Sometimes we are shorted on time by a manufacturer and the next time we short the manufacturer so it all works out in the end
I have dealt with many manufacturers over the years you have to know them all to play the game

Well, I have been involved in just the DEALER SERVICE end for 37 years and I can guarantee you do not make money on warranty. Not when you add in the cost of warranty clerks and all the parts order and returns and the lower Flat Rate times involved. There is NO game. Doug

I agree totally. Anyone who has had to deal with manufacturers knows it's their game in their ball park. They set the rules to their advantage and change them at will to make sure they protect the company's bottom line.

As an example GM came out with the 350 "diesel" in the early 1980's. Originally they paid about 27 hours labor time to remove, rebuild, and reinstall an engine.

When they started dropping like flies the company steadily reduced the time paid. Within a year the rate went from 27+ hours down to 9 hours. The job couldn't possibly be done in that amount of time. Each vehicle they took in for repairs cost the dealership 18 hours in labor time. The dealership I worked for did in excess of 200 units per year. That's 3,600 hours of lost labor time. At todays labor rates it would cost a dealer $450,000.00 in labor alone. That doesn't include the time the warranty clerks spent submitting the claims, or the shop supplies used.

How many years can a dealership sustain those kind of losses and survive?
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
jlud wrote:
Not making money on warranty is laughable. Even if you just cover the labor rate of the shop at say 80 bucks an hour while paying the tech 20 an hour your shop still takes in the rate. If they short you on the job, takes 8 hours but pays 4 I can see that, but overall a good dealership will have a solid income on parts and service.

My understanding is Warranty work generally doesn't pay the going hourly rate nor do they pay the full time allotted to the job. They also do not pay diagnostic time if required.
THere is also lots of forms and approvals associated with warranty work. Did I mention there are often 30/60 day pay cycles.
DEAlers are will to put up with the system for units they sold. But for units they did not sell, some deny warranty service altogether.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

the_trippers
Explorer
Explorer
I've read that Manufacturers pay $80/hr for their warranty work, but that dealers typically charge $120/hour, thus their disinterest in doing warranty work.

And typically the dealer will let warranty work sit for as long as possible to discourage return warranty work. Dealers are booked up with work that pays much better and without the manufacturer arguing with their charges.

I had to involve an attorney to get warranty work done after several return trips for the same issue and after many months of 'waiting for parts', and still the work was not done correctly etc...

On my last visit to a dealer, had the service rep suggest calling a mobile repair service instead of bringing to them. So that's my next call.
2018 Tiffin Allegro 32SA

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
setraveler: Mobile Techs advertise in almost every campground I've been in. Some are written up in www.rvservicereviews.com. Several I've used were former RV dealer shop guys. I had generator problems on my last long trip and used two. Both had trucks with everything imaginable in them and both were Onan trained. The one I use at our base camp does it all from hitches to electronics...in fact he's coming Wed to deal with a leak, water heater, and battery drain. He recently replaced all my awnings/slide toppers and repaired my AC's. He knows how to get warranty authorizations.

As I wrote earlier, my new in '08 rig has never been to a dealer's facility. For one, I had no issues when I was under warranty and now with age and 60K miles, I'm having a few. I call the Tech and he comes to the rig, sometimes the same day. If he has to order a part, it might take 3 days. The hardest thing about mobile techs is they have trouble working on a rig in a campground because other campers keep interrupting them to come work on their rig!

PS: I don't think they do engine, transmission, etc. I use an independent shop for that work.

Just my experience. Offered as a data point.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

jlud
Explorer
Explorer
Not making money on warranty is laughable. Even if you just cover the labor rate of the shop at say 80 bucks an hour while paying the tech 20 an hour your shop still takes in the rate. If they short you on the job, takes 8 hours but pays 4 I can see that, but overall a good dealership will have a solid income on parts and service.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
duplicate
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the best days in my RV life were when the warranty expired and I didn't have to mess with it anymore.

We have bought out of state before (Redwood 5er) and were welcomed at our hometown Dealer for warranty and maintenance. On the opposite end, we bought our current rig at Camping World, and we've been pretty much treated like subfungus from the day we made the decision. I wanted the vehicle, so I turned my cheek to the poor service and awful experience and I'm just glad I never have to return there, for any reason.

Even if you do get in to the Dealer, you really only have a 50-50 chance the work will be satisfactory. I've had good work done at the Dealer, and I've had work that was so poor I wondered what the fight was even for. 6 week wait just to get the privilege to park it on their lot so they can put it in que for next available tech, which may take 2 months. HA! The best quality work I have ever had was the work I did myself.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
setraveler wrote:
What is a "mobile tech". How do they list their services, region, state etc. How do you know they do authorized warranty work? How do you know they are trained and certified on the units-accessory-etc. First time I heard of them. Note was once Warranty Manager for major outdoor products Corp, so did see both sides of w issues... but at one time RV was one of worst going, more so when you find a $100K investment treated like a 20 year old used car. We will be making perm move so this is big deal.. probably should check to see if mfg reps in area we move? But find mobile tech in interesting..
Any details of such would be great, who, how and when type stuff.

mobile techs are sometimes authorized to fix appliances like suburban,dometic,norcold,onan,hwh,attwood etc but almost never the actual RV unit itself so if its a used unit u buy there is no warrenty and if its new it may be a thing a mobile tech can repair under warrenty

setraveler
Explorer
Explorer
What is a "mobile tech". How do they list their services, region, state etc. How do you know they do authorized warranty work? How do you know they are trained and certified on the units-accessory-etc. First time I heard of them. Note was once Warranty Manager for major outdoor products Corp, so did see both sides of w issues... but at one time RV was one of worst going, more so when you find a $100K investment treated like a 20 year old used car. We will be making perm move so this is big deal.. probably should check to see if mfg reps in area we move? But find mobile tech in interesting..
Any details of such would be great, who, how and when type stuff.

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
My experience is use mobile techs. Much more responsive and less expensive. Many are authorized to do warranty work. My '08 with 60K miles has never been to a dealer shop.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Getting "other" dealers to fix your rig might be a hassle. Especially warranty work. My experience...only once but it worked out OK....

When brand new (2 months after purchase) we took a first big trip to Florida. A fitting under the kitchen sink somehow "let go" and could not be fixed by simply tightening anything. The carpet was soaked. So, I fabricated a drain into a pan....at least that was something...and it worked fairly well. Had to empty the pan every few hours. Of course, this happened on a Sunday morning. "Coach-net" came with the coach (1 year). I called them, long story short on their return phone call, they told me there was a dealer not 3 miles away and to get there by 9AM. I was expected. Got there...2 hours later, back on the road, the thing fixed...and never leaked again. Is that an exception "to the rule"? I have no idea.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I've always had other dealers honor warrantees!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest you be upfront with your buying dealer and tell him you will be moving. I'm sure he won't be upset at not having to do any warranty work on your RV. ๐Ÿ™‚

You might try asking him for recommendations on a dealer where you're moving.

It would be more comforting to you if after receiving you new RV you could test it out good on a few trips before traveling across the country to get the kinks out. Then don't worry about it. If you have a need enroute it'll be worked out if they know the circumstances.

A good manufacturer won't leaving you hanging. The dealers will work with you on this issue.

Think of all the full-timers out there that buy and never return to the selling dealer because they travel constantly. We were one of them. We had only one warranty issue that we needed a Newmar dealer and when we contacted one which would be on our way as we were traveling, we were easily supplied with an appt. date within the week. They ordered the part from Newmar and it was waiting for them to install when we arrived. We left the same day. We had a couple very small warranty items and we ordered parts ourselves through Newmar and changed them out ourselves.

If you're buying used then get it thoroughly checked out before purchasing. Then you'll be on your own after purchasing since you wouldn't have a warranty. Mobile RV repairmen are a very good option to use. Most RV parks will have someone they use all the time or can give you names. Relax and enjoy your move!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
the trippers wrote:
Tried to get service at General RV in Draper, Ut, was asked if I had purchased RV at Generai, right after I said 'no', the service rep said 'no'.
Many RV Dealers just have too many of their own warranty issues to accept others.

unfortunately some Rv dealers treat people this way.Sometimes because there simply too busy like you said with their own sales warranty problems .We at our place try to look after everyone especially if there simply travelling through and need help.If its a local whom bought elsewhere we will fix but they wait till we have the time
its not the same as a ford or GM dealer where there compelled by contract to fix all GM vehicles

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
usersmanual wrote:
I have been involved in the RV sales and repair business since 1985
we for the most part always make money on warrenty repair but not quit at the same rate as our door rate.Sometimes we are shorted on time by a manufacturer and the next time we short the manufacturer so it all works out in the end
I have dealt with many manufacturers over the years you have to know them all to play the game

Well, I have been involved in just the DEALER SERVICE end for 37 years and I can guarantee you do not make money on warranty. Not when you add in the cost of warranty clerks and all the parts order and returns and the lower Flat Rate times involved. There is NO game. Doug

Doug please,what you may have experienced is what you did.We have always in the end as I explained earlier come out ahead in warrenty repairs.Please don't tell me what I have done or not done in this situation as you have not a clue as to who Iam and /or what RV dealership I co own with my business partner of 31 years
OK ?
thanks