cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

short Class B for fulltime solo travel

OnTaMove
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for a short Class B for fulltime solo travel. Google showed me the Roadtrek Versatile, which is a tad under 19'. Any experience with it, or thoughts about other models I should look at?
41 REPLIES 41

KarlV
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
I don't see how a B or C is any different than full-timing in an A. All of the same rules apply just in a smaller space.

Dave

It could just be industry hype trying to upsell customers to a bus. From my time selling RVs, my observation was that the big buses are sturdier and can take the abuse of the road better than smaller units. Also, at that time, almost the only RVs you could buy with a diesel were Class A. About the only class C diesel available at that time was the Jayco Seneca, which were back-ordered for nearly a year. Diesels can usually last longer than gas engines, and pull/push better up steep grades with all that weight. About the only Class C RVs that had a durable reputation then were Winnebago, Bigfoot and maybe one other. I've got no reason to think anything has changed in that regard except that Bigfoot quit making motor homes.

bagman
Explorer
Explorer
I would go for the Pleasure Way Ascent!
Land of Opportunity & Liberty 4 ALL!

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see how a B or C is any different than full-timing in an A. All of the same rules apply just in a smaller space.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

KarlV
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth, Class B and most Class C motor homes are not designed for full-time living. Make sure that it's kept clean, maintained and aired out. And it's not a bad idea to utilize campground toilets for any serious business, to avoid fecal matter from caking up in your holding tank. You can also get algae growth in your water tank, so it should be periodically sanitized with a small amount of bleach.

KarlV
Explorer
Explorer
Before trading in our Class C Bigfoot for a smaller RV, we looked at several makes/models. We ended up buying a new 2010 Pleasure-Way Excel (Ford E-350) instead of a Roadtrek for the following reasons:

Better fit and finish: Pleasure-Way puts a lot of thought into their product, and they use quality finishes. No rattle, squeak or bang after eight years of use. We found that the Roadtreks we looked at did not measure up and were more expensive.

Service: When you call the 800 number, you get a human who passes you to the technical staff who are extremely knowledgeable and helpful, even after eight years ownership.

Downside: Pleasure-Way (like Roadtrek) has gone exclusively to the Sprinter chassis, which I think is overrated and overpriced. A new Plateau can run you $150,000 (you're paying a lot of money for that Mercedes hood ornament). The height of these things has to be a problem in crosswinds, IMO.

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
Shearwater wrote:
Personally, I would avoid the Promaster models - Fiat and Chrysler in general have the worst repair records of any company.

Oddly, watching the reports of dozens and dozens of owners on the Facebook pages for Promaster based RVs, they are invariably happy with their conversions and have had few issues. Those issues that they have had have been promptly fixed by dealers with a few exceptions. (some Dodge dealers don't have the proper lifts as yet)

From my reading, I would say that there seem to be far fewer problems with Promasters than Sprinters in the last couple years. Not scientific... just based on complaints and questions from owners online.
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
I second the post about sportsmobile. They will build on any platform you want and will put in exactly the furniture you want and nothing you don't. Check out their website. You can get the exact price for any configuration you want.
Personally, I would avoid the Promaster models - Fiat and Chrysler in general have the worst repair records of any company.
Advanced RV Sprinter

OnTaMove
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, those are two good suggestions!

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
OnTaMove wrote:
"Pleasure Way Ascent"
Thank you. 19' 7" - also definitely belongs on my list!
MSRP starts at $129,155.00. Does anyone know what they actually sell for?

Historically, Class B's have sold at around 12-18% discount.

Odd that no one has mentioned the Promaster based RV's. In the under 20 foot, they are the most appealing options to me. Roadtrek has the Zion SRT and Simplicity SRT had two different price points. For those of us who avoid diesel like the plague... especially now with all the pollution control system issues... they are the same length as the Chevies, but give more interior space.
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
We have the RT190 Versatile. We have room for two, and stay pretty comfortable. We haven't been in it full time though.
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
SPORTSMOBILE..:) Design your own.
Ray

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Roadtrek 170. There are 2 of us, but we chose the 170 for its shortness because of maneuverability. We test drove other longer Bs and the turning radius turned us off.

One thing to make sure of is that the front seats swivel around to face the back so that you can keep the back bed made up. We were in a Pleasureway B where the seats didn't swivel and the couple had to fool with the bed morning and night.

Another thing to look at is interior storage. Comparing our 170 to that Pleasureway - they had lots more cupboards than ours, but theirs felt closed in - I would get claustrophobic. Depends on what you want and I would think for fulltiming more cupboards are better.

Good luck!

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
OnTaMove wrote:
What are the pros and cons of gas vs diesel?

Google "pros and cons of gas versus diesel?" and find out.
It's been discussed/debated, ad infinitum, on this and every other forum known to man.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

OnTaMove
Explorer
Explorer
"Pleasure Way Ascent"
Thank you. 19' 7" - also definitely belongs on my list!
MSRP starts at $129,155.00. Does anyone know what they actually sell for?

OnTaMove
Explorer
Explorer
What are the pros and cons of gas vs diesel?