cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Space behind couch-too much

bvail
Explorer
Explorer
Removed couch from 1997 Bounder to install carpeting. When I went to remove it, I noticed the forward bolt behind the driver seat was in front of the couch frame, just sticking up. The other side behind the dinette was only secured with one bolt in the rear. After carpeting and upon reinstall, I see why one of the prior owners did that. It appears that there is too much space behind the couch and by the holes in the wall it looks like some trim piece or something is missing. The two bolts behind the driver seat are permanently attached as they are not reachable or seen below. The other side bolts are in one of the compartments and could essentially be moved back. Does anyone know what was in those holes behind the couch? Should I leave it where it is (from factory) or move it to where prior owner had it? It also looks kinda squishy with the driver seat right there with the couch further forward. Any idea on a trim piece or something for the rear that will not interfere with making it into a bed?

1997 Fleetwood Bounder
2008 Harley FLHTCUI anniversary edition
19 REPLIES 19

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Your decor is the same as mine. The J-couch and captains chairs use the same fabric as my Bounder. And I am pretty sure that what's missing is a long shelf that suppose to be under the window.

What goes there is a handy shelf that runs from the dinette up to just behind the driver. Gives you a nice place to put your coffee as you gaze out the window at a rain storm.

The shelf is 3/4" thick particle board with a slot for a vinyl trim piece that when installed extends a little above the edge of the shelf, to keep things from falling off the shelf. Mine also has a thin vinyl cover that's glued on top of the shelf. The shelf is around 3-4" wide and 12' long.

Those holes are where the right angle bracket that holds up that shelf are attached.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
As it appears that driver seat cannot lean back or rotate, my bet is that is not the original couch.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

ets1996
Explorer
Explorer
I dont know about the holes in the wall, but possibly the bolts sticking up through the floor may have been for seatbelts. I see the stickers that says not to be occupied while in motion. My Rexhall has aleast 3 seating areas with belts installed even though the sticker is there.

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
I'll "guess" a previous owner may have removed the couch and placed something else in that space. When they sold the RV they reinstalled the couch.
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · W3TLN · FMCA 335149 · Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
the couch might need that room to flex when opening. watch the space as you roll the couch down into the bed position.