cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The NEW 303 Protectant

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
After talking to a couple of different vendors regarding 303 protectant, the formula has been changed. Has anyone noticed any difference in the quality or application of the product?
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s
17 REPLIES 17

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
SooperDaddy wrote:
Why tamper with something that is used by virtually all commercial and private air transport companies, the Navys Blue Angels, is proven to keep vinyl from fading and cracking 4 times longe....and is so safe that the only issue possible per the MSDS "slight eye irritation" COULD occur if splashed.

Now, first, understand that I think this is an excellent question and I fully agree with you that there when you got it right, you stop trying to improve it.

BUT.. I am not a "Bean counter" I am labor, not management, and to a management bean counter there has to be a way to "Make it for less" and thus improve profit..... Usually this reduces the quality, but if we phase in this new formulation slowly, they will never notice.

Witness Kentucky Fried Chicken, which you can no longer buy, KFC is NOT Kentucky Fried.... I had the pleasure of eating some of the last Kentucky Fried ever served.. (One "Franchise" was really an O&O (Owned and operated by the manger) had a fairly large sit down place with 3 walls covered at least 3 deep with "BEST IN THE BUSINESS" plaques from the Coronal himself When the new owners ordered him to change the formula to make it cheaper.. HE REFUSED, so they pulled his right to use the trademark.. I had the pleasure of eating there and can tell you his chicken was way way better than KFC.. I might add a federal court judge made the very same statement (There was some legal action).

It can always be made for less, by lowering the quality, and thus increase the profit. (or in my case, loose a customer).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

tankcj
Explorer
Explorer
I have used it for years also with great success on my boat interior. I found this but have not tried it. It sounds like it might be a good alternative to 303.

http://www.boatersland.com/bikm00205.html
2008 Beaver Contessa Pacifica 425 Cat with 448 hp and 1311 torque

becker
Explorer
Explorer
Have used it for years..... use it on everything..... great stuff.
2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42ft, 4 slides, 425hp clean air Cummins diesel
2013 Jeep Sahara 4-dr w/M&G Braking System
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All Terrain Towing System

jimhaz2402
Explorer
Explorer
My local RV tech says just do not spray 303 on anything you plan to paint later on!! It chemically bonds, so there's no way to remove it, and paint will NOT stick!

MrMudstud
Explorer
Explorer
So then, if China makes it now, we all know that it is not the same. China cut expenses by changing the product, just like with all the other products they make and we see on the shelves. They are good at making things look-a-like but not as good as USA products. It is ashamed....what the world coming too?

"No One Cares What You Know, Until They Know That You Care!"......."God Bless America"

2003 Pace Arrow 34W, F-53 V-10 22,000#, Avg 8.2 MPG
ScanGauge II, Voltage Booster, Progressive Industries EMS
Water Softener, Safe-T-Plus, Rear Trac Bar, 4 Koni FSD's

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
Upon further research for what it is worth:

Original company, 303 Products of Palo Cedro Ca has been bought out. Product was originally made there. Product is now owned by Gold Eagle Co, product is now made in China. It now carries a warning that there maybe chemicals that cause cancer and or birth defects in CA whereas no such warning was on containers before. The new 303 also advises to wear eye protection and gloves, the old did not. Old stock number was 30370, new stock number is 30320. 303 used to claim SPF 40 protection and that it was earth friendly (whatever that means), the new makes no such claim. Is it the same? Who knows. I am guessing it is not the same product, hopefully it works as well. One other thing I have noticed, the price is significantly LOWER than it used to be. ๐Ÿ˜›
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›

compint
Explorer
Explorer
I see on amazon what looks like different versions (30350, 30313, 30308), what is the difference and is each type for different applications?

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
I too have used the product for quite some time and like it. The change supposedly happened a few months ago, do not know exactly why the change, but there has been some kind of change, companies do not usually change product codes and MSDS's unless something is different. Just wondering if anyone has noticed it. Guess not.
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›

FormerBoater
Explorer
Explorer
Got a new bottle last week and used in on all the normal items (tires, wiper blades, leather couches, slide seals, refrigerator seals, dash switches, steering wheel, steering column, all vinyl surfaces inside the coach).

Bottle was redesigned...product seemed to be the same.

Been using it for 22 years on boats and the coach....everything always looks good and the UV protection is no myth!
Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

southpark
Explorer
Explorer
Whenever 303 comes up I'm always reminded of My Big Fat Greek Wedding where the father used Windex on everything.

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
okgc wrote:
SooperDaddy wrote:
303 was named 303 because it ws the 303rd reformulation of the product since during the development phase by the two Aerospace Chemists who came up with it.

So if the formula has changed shouldn't the product name change to 304? :h

My thoughts exactly!
The older I get....the better I was.

Bill & Terry
And our canine kids, Skippy & Peanut
2014 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 30T
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
SooperDaddy wrote:
303 was named 303 because it ws the 303rd reformulation of the product since during the development phase by the two Aerospace Chemists who came up with it.

So if the formula has changed shouldn't the product name change to 304? :h
2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with GMC Envoy
Alaska 2015

CJBROWN
Explorer
Explorer
Huge fan of 303 - goes on everything, cars, bikes, rv, anything with wheels.

I learned about it when I bought an inflatable boat a number of years ago. They said not only does it work well to protect the hypalon fabric of the boat but is the only protectant that will allow you to patch it. Any silicon applied can never be gotten completely out of the rubber and prevents a patch from adhering.

Now I just use it on everything inside and outside. A quart lasts me a couple of months, usually buy it at West Marine. Online retailers offer it a couple of bucks cheaper so if you're ordering other detail supplies anyway there's some savings there.
Chris & Sherry Brown
05 Itasca Sunrise 31W โ€ข '13 Subaru Crosstrek toad

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
SooperDaddy wrote:
In my experience on RV applications using on tires, vinyl awnings, abs plastic trims, vinyl et al is a sure way to keep your RV and other vehices looking new.

The roof on my limo cost me more than the car did to replace. I use 303 because it doesn't streak and for the alleged UV properties. And it's not over-the-top shiny. Time will tell about the UV properties, but if it helps protect that investment then I'm sold. Didn't consider using it on my RV until this thread. Tires aren't cheap. I'll give it a whirl on there too.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)