cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thor Class C Chateau 23E ford e350 chassi

dgantz
Explorer
Explorer
Every forum stresses tire pressure and get it weighed......well I just got back and now I'm really confused. My Thor Cls C drivers side frt is 1780 lbs, rear dulie 3580, pass side frt is 2060 and rear dully 3040. Total wt 10260. So with Michelin LT225 75R 16 I should run about 55 psi in frt and 50 rear, is this correct?
8 REPLIES 8

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is the Front Axle Capacity (GAWR-Front) of your Ford Chassis? I'm not a betting man, but I'd bid high that it's 5000-lb. At 75, your tire size supports 2560 Single. 4620 total, safe for a full load of 5000.

Now, what's the Rear Axle Capacity (GAWR-Rear)? I'll bid that it's 4300 (dual at 62-psi) time two, or 8600 GAWR-Rear.

All Thor is doing is reiterating Ford's recommendation for a MAX-loaded copy of your chassis. Which is loaded lighter. Adjust pressure to actual load as noted above.

And Desert Captain is SO RIGHT. Beyond wildest imagination. Just had all new tires installed, and the shop "sidewalled" them. 80-psi all around. In contradiction to written pressures I'd given them, based on load. Up on a high bridge, in crosswinds, we almost lost it. Just about couldn't keep it on the road. Stopped right after. Sure enough, 80-psi front. Dropped them to 65-psi. That's per the weight chart and we have 4600 on the front axle, way more than you do. The controllable drive returned with the 65.

We've told you how this works and why. You pays your money and you takes your choice.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
My E-350 24' C weighs 10,050# fully loaded for travel. I am running Michelin M/S 2's (same size as yours), with all 6 at 60 psi. This gives me a 20-25% cushion above the weight they carry. The ride and handling is out standing. Putting 75 in your front tires is a very bad idea that will probably have a seriously negative impact on handling not to mention ride quality.

As always.... Opinions and YMMV.

:C

x 2 +++
As I suggested earlier 60# all the way around. 65# in the rear shouldn't be an issue, but 75# in the front- that could definitely be an issue.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
My E-350 24' C weighs 10,050# fully loaded for travel. I am running Michelin M/S 2's (same size as yours), with all 6 at 60 psi. This gives me a 20-25% cushion above the weight they carry. The ride and handling is out standing. Putting 75 in your front tires is a very bad idea that will probably have a seriously negative impact on handling not to mention ride quality.

As always.... Opinions and YMMV.

:C

dgantz
Explorer
Explorer
Thor sticker recommends 75 frt and 65 rear, thats what i'm going to try.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got a slide on the Driver Side? Did you have People aboard as well as your travel load?

If you want, I can pull up a chart and do the lookups, but basically this is why the Michelin chart is by "corner" and not just "axle."

Recommended pressure, given you weighed it loaded (cargo and crew), would be whatever the Single part of the Chart specs for 2060 for BOTH fronts. And for BOTH rears, whatever the Chart shows for 3580 Dual.

Rear pressure a little higher than charted numbers won't affect much, but try to keep front as close to what the chart says. Any excess front pressure affects tracking.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Using your weights, your MH weighs 10,460#, not 10,260# ??? In your case the rates you're suggesting are adequate, according to load rating charts, but I would probably run 60# all the way around. I believe 60# should be the minimum pressure to run in an 80# max rated tire.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
I would do what the manufacturer recommends.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Sloop_Smitten
Explorer
Explorer
What does the sticker say on the driver side door beam?
What rating tire are you using? (C, D, E?)
What is the maximum pressure listed on the tire?
Are you using the same tire rating as is listed on the sticker?

I don't like to run over 25% less than than the maximum rating on the side of the tire. I have similar "E" rated tires and similar weight as you. I run 60 in the front and 65 in the rear and the ride is not too harsh or soft. Tires are rated max at 80. The sticker on the door frame is for "D" rated tires and it recommends 50 front and 55 rear. If you have the same rated tire as the sticker calls for I would use what is listed on the sticker.
1992 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye 24' M/H
Ford E350 Chassis, 7.5L Engine, E40D Transmission
My other motorhome is a 1978 Catalina 25 Sailboat
Cruising Califonia, Sailing the Pacific!