cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Monitor System with Factory car sensor?

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a new toad. It has its own Tire Monitoring system installed. Is there a Tire Monitor system for the RV that will work with the original monioring system that came with the car? Its a Chevy Equinox.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox
14 REPLIES 14

Crespro
Explorer
Explorer
For our Buick I ordered new sensors with metal stems. The local tire dealer installed and programmed them -- no added charge for programming.

We needed the metal sensor stems because I use a Pressure Pro TPMS with repeater in the rear closet. The Pressure Pro toad sensors work fine and there is no conflict with the car system. IMHO, this is the proper system.
Crespro 2021 Grand Design 310GK-R, 2020 F250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
My 2012 Explorer has a TPMS and I still use a TST 507 when I tow it. The TST doesn't affect the OEM system, I just screw the TST sensors on the valve stems and they read on my receiver in the MH.
I take them off when not towing the Explorer.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Beacher wrote:
CT_WANDERER wrote:

Hi Gary,
There is no TPMS for the Motorhome that can read the OEM car sensors. They run on different frequencies. Most people use a TPMS and add sensors to the toad vehicle. You will need to use a repeater or signal booster to ensure good reception
Thanks,
Mike Benson
TST 770-889-9102

Has anyone hacked an aftermarket TPMS to read the OEM sensors. If it's simply an issue of frequency....

Someone can hack it.

It's not that simple at all. There are frequency differences as said, and coding differences as well. Even different monitors and sensors within the same brand are not necessarily able to cross read. The TST model 507 monitor for instance, cannot read the model 510 sensors, and vice versa. Add to that the OEM vehicle systems that don't transmit a signal at all, instead using wheel speed differences, and I think you can see the problems in creating a "universal" monitor.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Beacher
Explorer
Explorer
CT_WANDERER wrote:

Hi Gary,
There is no TPMS for the Motorhome that can read the OEM car sensors. They run on different frequencies. Most people use a TPMS and add sensors to the toad vehicle. You will need to use a repeater or signal booster to ensure good reception
Thanks,
Mike Benson
TST 770-889-9102

Has anyone hacked an aftermarket TPMS to read the OEM sensors. If it's simply an issue of frequency....

Someone can hack it.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe there is a system out there that comes with up to 8 or 10 sensors for dually trucks with a trailer. The MH would be the Dually (TV) and the toad would be the trailer. I read an article on it somewhere!

Here is a link to one for sale. TST 10 tire TPMS.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

CT_WANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
mandmlikerving wrote:
CT_WANDERER wrote:
hershey wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I assume that you are asking if you can use the TPMS in the RV to monitor the TPMS system in your Toad. I do not know of any RV system that allows that.
I guess I wasn't too clear. But: yes, thats exactly what I'm wondering. I don't have a TPMS on my MH now but I thought that if one was available that would utilize the existing tire sensors it might be a nice addition.

You will not be that lucky. I use the TST TPMS. I pull a 2013 Jeep Wrangler that has OME TPMS. I installed the TST on the Jeep. It reports to the MH. When not towing the OME system on the Jeep works as it should. It would be nice if the maker's of the units used in the MH would take to the tow OEM systems.

OH as a side note, I am finding out there is a difference on how the Jeep system and the MH system works, far as how to adjust air pressure, how fast it updates the information and moving tire around.

Gary

Hi Gary,
Thanks,
Mike Benson
TST 770-889-9102

That is what I think I said. Your TST system was added to the Jeep and it reports to the MH TST monitor. And the factory system reports to the Jeep. As far as the booster I have not need it for two years. Gary

mandmlikerving
Explorer
Explorer
CT_WANDERER wrote:
hershey wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I assume that you are asking if you can use the TPMS in the RV to monitor the TPMS system in your Toad. I do not know of any RV system that allows that.
I guess I wasn't too clear. But: yes, thats exactly what I'm wondering. I don't have a TPMS on my MH now but I thought that if one was available that would utilize the existing tire sensors it might be a nice addition.

You will not be that lucky. I use the TST TPMS. I pull a 2013 Jeep Wrangler that has OME TPMS. I installed the TST on the Jeep. It reports to the MH. When not towing the OME system on the Jeep works as it should. It would be nice if the maker's of the units used in the MH would take to the tow OEM systems.

OH as a side note, I am finding out there is a difference on how the Jeep system and the MH system works, far as how to adjust air pressure, how fast it updates the information and moving tire around.

Gary

Hi Gary,
Thanks,
Mike Benson
TST 770-889-9102

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
After all of this,I would still call GM to ask if they have a portable receiver for this system or know if any existing ones will work. You could then equip the motorhome accordingly.
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are basically two systems used on cars.. ONE measures the rotational speed of the tires.. If one is spinning faster than the rest either you are on ice or that tire is low. (Uses ABS sensors)

The other is a pressure sensor inside the wheel/rim assembly. There used to be an RV system (Smart Tire?) that worked like this it is no more however.

MOST RV-TPMS systems screw on the valve stem.. And cause no interference to the car's native system.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CT_WANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
hershey wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:

Gary

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've used the TST TMPS for the past several years. My HHR had OEM sensors and they didn't interfere with the coach TMPS. I now have a new Equinox which I've towed from one side of the country to the other. Same thing, no issues. They operate independently of each other. I have the 507 system but previously had the 510. Either work well....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Each car maker uses their own TPMS system with variations even among models. Not all of them use transmitting sensors. There are no RV TPMS monitors that will work with any of the OEM sensors. You can however, use aftermarket TPMS sensors on your toad and RV with no interference with or from the OEM system.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate