cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire Trade-in Value

Alfred622
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone gotten a "trade-in value" for their tires? Here is the situation.

I have 6 Michelin XRV 225/70R19.5 tires on our RV with about 25,000 miles. Date code is 4904 - so they will have their 10th birthday in a few months.

They maintain their inflation exceptionally well (add air every 3 YEARS or so - probably due to air lost when I read tire pressure frequently), they are stored inside a steel building resting on concrete, and they have not suffered any injury that I know about.

Every summer I have them inspected by a Michelin dealer. Each time he has said they are in great shape - no need to replace them. I was told that again this year.

I contacted the Michelin factory representative. He recommended replacing due to aging (10 years). He said the tires can look fine, but at this age they can rapidly deteriorate over the course of a few hundred miles.

My Michelin dealer is ordering the tires for me (FMCA Advantage program). Should I seek any value from these great tires on trade for the new tires? Is there a market for these used tires at all?

Thanks for your advice!
Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....
34 REPLIES 34

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Your tires are worthless in 2010 they should have been replaced, tires are good for 6 years max with out being used as in parked.

I am replasing tires that I installed in 2007 and maybe have 6 to 8 hundred miles on them last trip right inside sidewall blew out, I will destroy the tires rather than having someone maimed or killed because the tires where used by an inosent person.

Replace the tires and cut the old tires on the side wall so that they can not used.

navegator

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
They are worth what you can get but that in these parts seems to be $50-$100. A guy bought my 9 year old pulls and put them on his MH after he as a bad blown out with the 16 year old OEM tire. On our F700 Ford truck 1998 is the oldest caucus but it has been recapped. Around here is common to find farm trucks with 25+ years old. MH's typically are under tired so hence more blow out from blow outs and they are never ran or parked like trucks.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
10 yr old tires........not worth nothing.

You don't want to use them....why would anyone else :H
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

happy-2
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the time they are not worth anything,after 5 years they can not be recapped. I drove truck for 30 yrs and never put used tires on my truck,its not worth the chance or time to fuss with used tires.I just replaced all my Michlins with Toyo 22.5 read all the reports,better than Michlin.Better price to.

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
If your dealer doesn't offer you anything for them, put them on Craigslist. There are OTR drivers that are always looking for trailer tires.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited