cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires

dumboat2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info on the generator. We just purchased a 1997 Coach House 192 ks on a Dodge 3500 chassis. I need new tires for my rig. As I have gone back several months on the forum, the recommendations have been the Hercules and Michelin LTX M/S2. We have no Hercules dealer within 120 miles, but we do have a Michelin dealer and right now they are my #1 choice. I have Open Country on the van now and experience a lot of sway. Do you have any other suggestions before I purchase the Michelins or any other info in general about van camping or specifically to the Coach House and Dodge. Thanks. Jerry.
30 REPLIES 30

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
Dandie Dinmont wrote:
Purchased Cooper Tires in Visalia,Ca in November 2009.

Replaced the original tires (Hankook) with Cooper Discovery

The tires offered a better road handling and feeling of security
on windy days.

Now, need to replaced all 4 tires - Is there anything new on the
manufacturing of tires?

Thanks,
Len

Hi folks from Sidney. I always use Michelin LTX and my current ones are new M/S2. Come on over to our place in Cobble Hill and you can admire our tires AND aluminum wheels. Cooper tires are good too, of course. I get my tires from KAL TIRE and I get free tire checking, pressure adjustments, flat replacement and, on my BMW I get free tire.wheel switching every season--no charge. I know some say Michelin tires have soft sideswalls but they have tires for off road and for rvs they are good. Cheers.

AL

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
"Climate and tire wear
Water acts as a lubricant. Tires that often travel over wet pavements can show up to 30 percent longer treadwear than tires that run only on dry pavements. Temperature is also a factor. When the temperature increases, so do treadwear rates. For example, when roads are wet, fleets typically obtain better tread-weari n the fall and winter verses spring and summer.
Driving technique plays a major role in maximizing tire life, but so does where the vehicle is driven."

This is one reason we get so many different opinions regarding a tire brand, and tire ware.. One person, living in a cold area, may get 60K and another living in a hot area 30K.
Here in AZ we can count on about 30% less tread ware, and recommendations are replacing tires every four year.

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
See my post in this thread with the link to Goodyear Adventure (Kevlar side walls)

Dandie_Dinmont
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased Cooper Tires in Visalia,Ca in November 2009.

Replaced the original tires (Hankook) with Cooper Discovery

The tires offered a better road handling and feeling of security
on windy days.

Now, need to replaced all 4 tires - Is there anything new on the
manufacturing of tires?

Thanks,
Len
Len, Rebecca & MacDuff

KK_R
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the early planning stages of looking into replacement tires for my Roadtrek. My current favorites are the Cooper Discoverer HT and (probably even preferred) the Discoverer HT3. Any thoughts or feedback from anyone?

These are moderately priced tires. Coopers have a bit of a reputation for not lasting as long as their tread-wear guarantee, but my tires always age out well before their tread is gone, so no problem for me if I "only" get 40,000 out of them.
KK&R
2004/03 Roadtrek 200 Versatile

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
I have Toyo Open Country tires on my class b van. They ran great for about 20k miles and then started running rough like they were out of balance. Had them rebalanced with the same rough riding results. Had to replace one tire because it was so rough. It had about 27k miles on it.

In January, 2014, Bought a new Prius v which came with Toyo tires. At about 25k miles I'm having the same rough riding scenario as the Toyo's on my class b van. I won't buy anymore Toyo tires!

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
As I posted last month, we had Toyo Open Country tires on our PW Excel and were quite happy with them, handled better than the Michelin tires that we replaced due to their age (they were about 8 years old). We sold the PW a couple years ago, but that was mainly because we wanted a bigger rig, got a smaller Class C. Toyo tires are very popular around here in the NW, partly due to the excellent service provided by the Les Schwab company, probably the biggest tire dealer out here.

ROADTREKKER2000
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2000 Roadtrek Popular 200 came with Firestone tires, which were very bad and were replaced in less than 2 years.

We now have LT245/75R-16/10 120/116S OPEN COUNTRY AT tires from LES SCHWAB. After 13 years of use, they still show no tread wear and they are very smooth running tires. I am replacing them this Saturday with the very same tires, not because of wear but for concern over UV affect upon the rubber. In my opinion these are amoung the best light truck tires in the market.
Papa :C, Lois ๐Ÿ™‚ Griz ๐Ÿ˜›

2000 Roadtrek 200 Popular

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
If you are a member of FMCA you can take advantage of the Michelin Advantage program. They offer the Michelin and BF Goodrich tires at great prices. It is worth the membership, plus they offer many other great advantages
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

401nailhead
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the top 1% of the buy American crowd, but I have a mechanic who swears By Toyo tires and their good wear track record, and have bought them from him for several of my vehicles. I drew the line when he suggested putting Toyos on my vintage Buick Wildcat (that is just wrong), but I think I agreed on everything else. He just sold me 2 Toyos for the front of the 1996 Chevy van RV, and I'm considering the back two soon. I'm very pleased with them so far. He tells me they run forever. What I don't know though is how resistant they are to dry rot on the sidewalls. I will know more about their ride soon. I can say, my mechanic has nothing but good to say about Toyos. If anyone has RV-related feedback on Toyos, I would be interested to hear. If you put miles on fast, at least look into the Toyos.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
overbrook wrote:
Also note that Michelin recalled 1.3 million LTX MS tires because the tread might come apart. You can read more about this in the NTSHA document from Michelin announcing the recall at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM447539/RCDNN-13T012-5467.pdfBill

During a search on Cooper tires I found this post. That is the exact same tire and date codes as my BFG Commercial T/A's and sister tire of Michelin. One threw a tread and 2 had internal broken belts. No warranty because they were on my 5er.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

TinyoneRV
Explorer
Explorer
I know I have Cooper tires on my 04 Roadtrek 190P but I don't remember the exact one. However, I've been very satisfied with the tires having put over 50,000 miles on two of the ones on there now. Replaced two last fall after a bad chuck hole split one and will put two more on this spring. Seems to be a good tire at a good price.

KK_R
Explorer
Explorer
Thoughts on Cooper tires? Specifically the Cooper HT3 or Discover HT

I'd also be interested in any feedback on the Coopers, particularly the Discoverer H/Ts.

My Biases: I think of Cooper as a good solid, American tire maker (though I haven't checked to see where their tires are actually made). I currently have Yokohama Geolanders on my 2003 RT 200V (Chevy). Though a midline tire, I have had absolutely no problems with the Yokes. They still have one-third their tread left, but are five years old. I normally replace my RT tires after 6 years.

Checking at my local independent tire store that I trust pretty well, they suggested the Cooper Discoverer H/Ts as a replacement. Their quoted price was to me ridiculously low. It's not really about price, but I just don't feel the need to buy the absolute top line everything for my replacements. I try to buy what I feel I really need at a good/fair price. So the Coopers appeal to me. I looked at Tire Rack for their reviews and evaluations, but they don't seem to carry Coopers. When it comes time to replace, I'll probably consider the Michelins (LTX M/S2s) and others, but I don't like to "overbuy."

Just to show I am not anti-Michelin, the only tire I considered for my Acura TL was the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3, but that is for an ultra high performance tire (even though I don't even drive half the speed of the Pilot Sport's speed rating.)

Sorry I seem to have more questions than answers, but I am interested in Cooper Discoverer H/Ts, too, and would love any feedback.
KK&R
2004/03 Roadtrek 200 Versatile

dumboat2
Explorer
Explorer
Thoughts on Cooper tires? Specifically the Cooper HT3 or Discover HT