cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tow Vehicle Problem

kidkasha
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 2012 ford fusion with my 1999 Fleetwood diesel Discovery.At the end of a 4-5 hour drive , with a connected tow line the car battery is dead. I have to jump start it to get it running. I use the Blue Ox braking system that is installed in the car. The air, radio and head lights are all turned off and it still happens. I have tried removing the fuse from the battery connection, and get the same results. What have not done? any answer would be appreciated
4 REPLIES 4

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm assuming you are following the directions listed in your owners manual...correct? Supplemental braking devices that plug into your toad's cigarette lighter do draw a lot of amperage from the battery and in these cases, you really need to have a 12v line from the motor home's battery(s) to the toad's battery. Most motor homes have this wire going to the 7-pin connector, but may not be connected. Check the voltage on, I believe, pin 4.

Good luck

Ron

ps... the "tow" vehicle is the vehicle "doing" the towing...not the one "being" towed. Hence the name "toad".
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your battery is weak and you use a supplemental braking system, that can be a good size draw in a day long drive. Be sure you have a charge line and good battery. Here's to happy towing!

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
What mountain air said, plus you do have a charge line from the MH to the toad, right? I just may be that the toad battery is failing.
Wildmanbaker

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you don't get a good answer, Install a diode in the charge line from the rv and if the power from the tow is flowing back to the Rv that will stop it.

You have check to ensure that you have power 12v from the RV to the tow vehicle. the Blue Ox braking system does use power from your tow vehicle. I am assuming that the connected tow line is 12v from the RV to the tow vehicle's battery.

That line also should have a fuse , ensure that it is not bad.