cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing both car & Harley

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 35' Class A with a 5K towing limit, tow my Ford Edge with a Tow Dolly, and would love to take my Road King along. Best option appears to be installing a hydraulic lift on the RV to accommodate the HD, but the life weighs in around $1000 lb., the HD about 800, and of course, then, there's the car, and I'm thinking it's just not possible...

I've contacted the MH manufacturer, but haven't gotten an answer yet...

BTW, I do have a covered trailer I tow the bike in when behind the car, but it'd be a real challenge doing so with the rig...

Is there an easy solution, or do I consider a larger rig with the capacity to tow more weight?
28 REPLIES 28

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dolly towing you are already likely over your weight limit.
Upgrade to a DP and double your tow rating.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
johntank wrote:
GottaRunGottaCamp wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
1800 lbs that far back is going to put 2500+ lbs on your rear axle and take 700 off the front = NO WAY is this going to work. They make toe dollies that you can put the cycle in front of the car.

Like Ivylog said;

I hope you never have any t-case problems as Jeep per the owners manual does not recommend towing a Jeep with 2 wheels off the ground, it's either a 4 wheel flat tow or on a trailer. Just for your information

If he removes the rear driveshaft, the Jeep is good to go.

Either that or a driveshaft disconnect (pricey as far as I know and prone to problems if not adjusted correctly), but I would say most people would not want to lay on the ground to do the remove of the driveshaft, then one has to think how to keep the t-case oil from leaking out, one could tie driveshaft up to the side to prevent this but is a lot of work. Was just trying to tell him that towing his Jeep that way could cause a problem with the t-case.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Most F150 are at about 4500 dry. Add HD, Ramps and fuel and I'm betting that won't work.

I think you need a lighter vehicle with the GottaRunGottaCamp style solution.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ivylog wrote:
1800 lbs that far back is going to put 2500+ lbs on your rear axle and take 700 off the front = NO WAY is this going to work. They make toe dollies that you can put the cycle in front of the car.

The OP said they have a 35’ Class A with 5k tow limit. That screams ‘gasser’.

A 35’ gasser is going to have a 12+++++ foot rear overhang.

I doubt it would have a 350 pound tongue weight allowance.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
johntank wrote:
GottaRunGottaCamp wrote:
Ivylog wrote:

Like Ivylog said;

I hope you never have any t-case problems as Jeep per the owners manual does not recommend towing a Jeep with 2 wheels off the ground, it's either a 4 wheel flat tow or on a trailer. Just for your information

If he removes the rear driveshaft, the Jeep is good to go.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
GottaRunGottaCamp wrote:
Ivylog wrote:

Like Ivylog said;

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Swap the car and dolly for a F150 with 4wd, flat tow it, and put the HD in the truck bed.

That would be my recommendation, as well.
Now how to easily get the bike in and out of the truck bed, is the question and if mine, I'd just have to find myself a little knoll or hillside somewhere and the way I used to load and unload golf carts in my F-150.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Swap the car and dolly for a F150 with 4wd, flat tow it, and put the HD in the truck bed.

A Harley in the back of a F150 is going to be a pain to load and unload. I did it when I pulled a camper with lighter weight bikes and a 4 foot wide ramp. You really need a loading dock. Also I think it would be pushing the weight limit of the 5K hitch.

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
Dual Use Tow Dolly
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

GottaRunGottaCa
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:

Like Ivylog said;

2016 F350
2019 Heartland Torque TQ-371

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
don't forget the weight of the dolly. you could save the dolly weight if the car could be flat towed. and then remember that your max towing weight is not 5K, that's the max weight the hitch can handle. but if your MH's actual rolling weight (actual combined weight of the load on each axle) is more than the combined axle weight ratings you need to deduct a pound for every pound you're overweight.

in general, the maximum amount of weight you can safely tow will be the lesser of the following:

- the GCWR (gross combination weight rating) of the MH minus the actual weight of the MH as it is loaded for travel (includes fuel, fresh water, food, clothing, people, pets, supplies, etc.) actual weight = the combined weight on the axles.

- the weight rating of your tow bar

- the weight rating of your hitch

good luck.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
“I've contacted the MH manufacturer, but haven't gotten an answer yet...”

IF you get a response I’ll bet the answer is...5000 maximum!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad