cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing both car & Harley

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 35' Class A with a 5K towing limit, tow my Ford Edge with a Tow Dolly, and would love to take my Road King along. Best option appears to be installing a hydraulic lift on the RV to accommodate the HD, but the life weighs in around $1000 lb., the HD about 800, and of course, then, there's the car, and I'm thinking it's just not possible...

I've contacted the MH manufacturer, but haven't gotten an answer yet...

BTW, I do have a covered trailer I tow the bike in when behind the car, but it'd be a real challenge doing so with the rig...

Is there an easy solution, or do I consider a larger rig with the capacity to tow more weight?
28 REPLIES 28

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
TNGW1500SE wrote:
JoeH wrote:
I put my Harley in the back of my F-150 all the time. I use a Rampage lift.

$2,895.00 plus shipping. Wow!

Found mine on Craigs list for less than $500----
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
obiwancanoli wrote:
Good info., thank you, Scott, very thorough. I'll be looking at this in more detail, as your post gives me hope I can accomplish my goal. The idahotote site was interesting, but I already have an enclosed trailer for the bike. Problem with that is lining it up - or rather, lining up the coach - to connect the two.

Rather than the challenge of backing up the coach to a hitch, I'm assuming there must be a way to maneuver the trailer to connect to the hitch, manually. The trailer's too heavy to do so alone, and by hand, but if there were something like, say, a hand truck, or easily maneuvered way to move the trailer to the hitch, that would work for me, too....

Obiwan,
You're more than welcome Sir. I don't know how close you looked at the Idaho Tote but, it's not a normal SINGLE ball type trailer hookup. It connects at TWO points on the back of the coach. When towing it, all moves is up and down, not sideways like a regular trailer. The pivoting dual wheels do the work of moving sideways. And, like stated, you can tow behind it. And, while it's darn near impossible to back up a toad, if the toad is removed, you can back up an Idaho Tote, straight and in turns, very, very easily. But, it's just another option. If you have any questions, surely PM me and I'd be glad to help.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
Good info., thank you, Scott, very thorough. I'll be looking at this in more detail, as your post gives me hope I can accomplish my goal. The idahotote site was interesting, but I already have an enclosed trailer for the bike. Problem with that is lining it up - or rather, lining up the coach - to connect the two.

Rather than the challenge of backing up the coach to a hitch, I'm assuming there must be a way to maneuver the trailer to connect to the hitch, manually. The trailer's too heavy to do so alone, and by hand, but if there were something like, say, a hand truck, or easily maneuvered way to move the trailer to the hitch, that would work for me, too....

mdanielson55
Explorer
Explorer
BUY A open car haulin trailer around 18ft put bike cross wise on front and auto pull it up un the rear

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW...this subject was covered a few years ago...a simple to use math formula was given to determine weights of a hydraulic lift plus the bike...I used it and found the following:

The lift + the bike (raised 3 feet) would load my rear axle to within 300 pounds of "max". Not too bad. HOWEVER, it would take 700 pounds off the front end. Not good. Bottom line...for a gasser (like mine) no good. These hydraulic lifts would be fine for a DP tho....
I copied the formula and stashed it after I used it...now I can't find it to give to you.

There are quite a few "dolly type" motorcycle carrier/tow car 4 flat items out there. Time to use Google.

g'luck!

mikey52
Explorer
Explorer
I put my motorcycle in the back of my GMC Canyon 6 foot bed. I bought a set of ramps which fit in the back of the truck with the motor and it is very easy to load and unload the motor. I like the idea of not having the lift on the back of the motorhome as we are close to the rear axle weights.
2013 Discovery 40x
2016 GMC Canyon
2011 BMW R1200RT

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
obiwancanoli wrote:
Ok, so my coach is a Newmar 35' DP Ventana LE. I admit to guessing the weight of the lift, and so, it was me, sir, who was clueless... I'm familiar with the Hydralift, and feel that might be a solution, but it means buying a new or another vehicle. Not sure on this yet...

FWIW, I'd also plan to take only the HD, and wondered if a lift on the rear DP, and the bike, would be too much weight as well. To be completely candid here, I am relatively new to the lifestyle - 7 months now - and still have a lot to learn. But that's why I'm here, and posted my query, so, keep in mind this isn't a political debate, and offer a bit more respect than my "clueless" perspective might otherwise inspire. Thanks.

Obiwan,
My comments were not directed at you. There are many on RV forums that are safety police, weight police and more and never done anything outside the box. And as such, have tendency to illicit advice that they, in fact, have never ever dealt with. And, there are ones that think ALL COACHES are built the same. Well, for those of us that ACTUALLY have done things outside the box and experimented with all kinds of situations, we've gained experience on what works and what doesn't. The manufacturers of most coaches pretty much know what they're doing and, post limits on what their coaches can do, what they can't and what kind of limits are on them.

But, if one has worked with heavy equipment, alterations, modifications, suspensions and more for most of their life, one can sometimes, exceed posted limitations with somewhat of an education/experience level that lends assistance. So, with all that being said, and as stated previously, we've done what you're thinking of doing. AND NO ONE DIED in the process due to the fact that SOME of the limits were exceeded.

Do I advise this kind of thinking, well, not really. I look at this kind of situation as, it's my coach, if I break it, I HAVE TO FIX IT. Now, again with all that being said, I appreciate you posting more info on your particular coach. Your coach is only moderately shorter than ours.

Did our coach survive with the lift and the weight of a Honda Goldwing? Yep, sure did. And we'd still be doing it today if not for one thing. TIRES! I was 2,600 lbs. over the weight limit on the four tires on the back. Using advanced math, that's 1,300 lbs. per side. Even more advanced math shows 650 lbs. per tire, over its rated weight. Did it work? Yep, sure did. As stated we traveled all over the western U.S. with that setup. WE towed an '04 Jeep Rubicon along with carrying the bike.

I have to tell ya, it was absolutely great having both of those toys with us for all that time. We love both methods of fun and transportation. But, as stated we were over the weight limits on the rear tires. So, being that, if one of my rear tires blew, the other would be instantaneously ANOTHER 650 lbs over what it was already over. So, after some discussions, we abandoned that proven game plan for an alternate way of getting the job done.

We have two toads. One is a '15 Jeep JKUR and the other one is an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab. When we decide we want the bike along on our trip, we hook up the truck. I setup, a Rampage lift/carrier in the back of that truck. The way I did it was so that it's instantly removable. I won't go into that unless you, or someone asks. Suffice to say, when it comes time to load that lift into the truck, from start to finish and, is ready for the bike, it's about 6-8 minutes, tops.

And, when we're back home, it's about 6 minutes and that lift is out of the back of the truck and the truck is now a truck again. But, when it does carry the bike, it's pretty neat. I ride the bike up to the prepared lift, park it, strap the front to the lift, press a button on the winch and the bike starts traveling up the lift.

After a few seconds of travel, the bike levels the lift out and finishes its travel into the back of the truck. Once it's locked in place, I add about four more tie-downs and that bike ain't going anywhere the truck isn't. The truck is exactly 5,300 lbs. I weighed it. I advise this wholeheartedly. Do not, repeat, DO NOT take the word of any printed matter when it comes to ACTUAL WEIGHT of your toad or, intended toad. GO WEIGH IT! This way you'll know for sure.

The bike is close to 900 lbs and the Rampage lift is right close to 275 lbs. So, all in all, I'm dragging right close to 6,500 lbs. behind our coach. As state, the engine in our coach is the CAT C-7 330HP. Its labeled as 860 ft.lbs. of torque. The coach, the last time I weighed it, was right at it's GVWR which is, 27,910. When the truck and bike is hooked to it, that coach does great. It's not a speedster by any stretch but, it does a great job of getting the whole Amtrak where we want to go.

So, can you do this, yep. You may have to investigate different game plans but, you can get it done and it will work. One of the links below is a definite way to go in your case that will not tax your GVWR of your coach. You will have to consider the hitch limit(s).

http://www.idahotote.com/

There others that build the same kind of system. Here's another one:

http://www.cruiserlift.com/id77

I'm considering the second one due to the fact that we'd like to bring along our Jeep JKUR along with the Wing on trips. We'll see.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so my coach is a Newmar 35' DP Ventana LE. I admit to guessing the weight of the lift, and so, it was me, sir, who was clueless... I'm familiar with the Hydralift, and feel that might be a solution, but it means buying a new or another vehicle. Not sure on this yet...

FWIW, I'd also plan to take only the HD, and wondered if a lift on the rear DP, and the bike, would be too much weight as well. To be completely candid here, I am relatively new to the lifestyle - 7 months now - and still have a lot to learn. But that's why I'm here, and posted my query, so, keep in mind this isn't a political debate, and offer a bit more respect than my "clueless" perspective might otherwise inspire. Thanks.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:
wildtoad wrote:
Swap the car and dolly for a F150 with 4wd, flat tow it, and put the HD in the truck bed.

A Harley in the back of a F150 is going to be a pain to load and unload. I did it when I pulled a camper with lighter weight bikes and a 4 foot wide ramp. You really need a loading dock. Also I think it would be pushing the weight limit of the 5K hitch.

Oh no it's not. Geeeze, all you have to do is look around on the i-net for about 30 seconds and you'll find a number of lift/carriers that go into the back of a pickup that make loading and unloading of large touring bikes very easy.

We used to carry our '08 Honda Goldwing GL 1800 on a Hydralift on the back of our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. And who ever told the OP that the lift was a THOUSAND POUNDS WAS/IS absolutely CLUELESS. The actual HYDRALIFT brand lift is right at 375-400 lbs. We carried that bike on that lift, on that coach for well over 8,000 miles and never, EVER had any issues what so ever.

No wandering, no porpoising, no ill-fated handling AT ALL. The front of our coach went up a whopping 1/16th of an inch when the bike and lift was on there. Does it add cantelever weight back there, yep, it sure does. But, as stated, on our diesel, due to the ride height sensors, the coach rode at the same EXACT height with the bike and lift as it did WITHOUT THEM.

But, since the OP does not state just what kind of "35'" coach he's got, I'd bet a 35' coach in his application, is a gas unit, just guessing.

If that's the case, Yep, I'd go with another form of bringing all the toys along. One in particular is the toy tote. It's a form of dual wheel, swivel wheel trailer that, IS NOT A TRAILER!!!!!! It attaches to the back of the coach with TWO mounting points. It is considered to be PART OF THE COACH, and not a trailer. And, you can tow a toad with it. That would get the OPs bike AND his toad without overloading the hitch on the back of the coach.

Using a 4x4 truck as a toad, and loading the bike in the truck, is not rocket science, no LOADING DOCK is needed! But, the weight of any 4x4 truck that's capable of being flat towed, is considerably more weight than the OP may be willing to deal with.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

Jasonmize
Explorer
Explorer
I too hope that you don't have any T-case problem.

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, all, for your comments. The answer I got from Newmar was, "I wouldn't recommend it", when I asked about the bike, the car, and the tow dolly. They (naturally) suggested a longer rig with tandem axles.

I agree with the flat tow, but it looks like the best - if not only - solution is a tandem axle that can support the bike/lift weight, and flat-towing a 4WD. But just bought my rig, and longer than I initially planned, so, the HD will have to stay home, or get towed behind the car. I can live with it... was just thinkin'...

I knew about the Rampage Lift, may consider that, if the GCWR will support it, but not hopeful...

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:

$2,895.00 plus shipping. Wow!

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
TNGW1500SE wrote:
wildtoad wrote:
Swap the car and dolly for a F150 with 4wd, flat tow it, and put the HD in the truck bed.

A Harley in the back of a F150 is going to be a pain to load and unload. I did it when I pulled a camper with lighter weight bikes and a 4 foot wide ramp. You really need a loading dock. Also I think it would be pushing the weight limit of the 5K hitch.

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
If he removes the rear driveshaft, the Jeep is good to go.

That's a big IF, and a pain to do.

In the picture above, that jeep should be a flat tow, and the bike on a lift.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.