Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing - Cargo - Fuel Type - Egads

PNW_Wood
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

New member first post. Never had a MH and we are thinking about what it looks like to be an owner. I've read through some of the intro's and FAQ's, thank you so much for taking the time to put all that information together. I'll refer back to it numerous times I'm sure

We plan to buy a house in Mexico, along the Pacific Riviera between Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. The discussion as it goes right now is to spend 8'ish months down there, then come back into the states for 4'ish months. We have family in Pacific NW and Texas (and AZ actually). We'd spend the June through Sept months in the states visiting family, staying away from the intolerable heat of coastal MX.

Having an RV and using that as home base when we are in the states seems to make a lot of sense to us. It allows us to bring our dog, car, etc., not have to pay for a place in the states, blah blah.

In the research I've done so far it seems ULSD is not an option in Mexico and it seems it won't be for an undetermined amount of time... so that puts me in the gas world. Fine

I plan to tow a Jeep. My impression from what I've been able to glean so far, is only the tongue weight ads to the cargo payload? Can someone confirm this? Other weight issues for towing is simply to make sure the hitch is rated to handle the weight of the toad???

For those with gas rigs - is cargo weight a constant balancing act? It seems like there are real narrow margins when it comes to the gas rigs. We aren't hauling kids and toys, but I imagine with all the variety of things you can take... camp gear type stuff, that all ads up quick. Have you gassers had buyers remorse for always being up against capacity?

So far the Coachman Mirada and Fleetwood Bounder or Flair have interior layouts that look attractive. I've not sat in any yet, just looking at floorplans and pictures. Any comments from owners on these manufacturers and models?

Thanks for feedback. Sorry for the long post, figured some context on me and our plans might help with your answers
15 REPLIES 15

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pre emission diesels do not necessairly require ultra low sulfer diesel. Is it preferable? I guess, but not abaolutely necessary.