cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing w/a '88 dodge xplorer 230 xl

71choptop
Explorer
Explorer
Have been looking at a '88, 42,000 miles. Noticed that it does not have a hitch. Was told by an explorer owner that the material used to extend the length of the van, frame rails, are not as heavy as the the metal the the van is built on, I would need to reinforce the extension pieces in order to install a hitch, will be pulling a motorcycle trailer for (2) bikes.

Anyone have any experience w/this ? Thanks in advance.
The older I get, the better I was.
6 REPLIES 6

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
JonHartPhoto wrote:
Hey man, I recently purchased the same year and make, mine came with a hitch that states a 4000 towing capacity!

The hitch is not the place to get educated on towing capacity. The owner's manual is. I'm not saying you're wrong, but what the hitch is rated at and what the vehicle is capable of are often two different things.

Eric
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 2000 lb boat with my 1997 230 XL.

JKFlipFlop
Explorer
Explorer
I was reading up on my 89 last night and it looks like these are not capable of towing very much at all. I am sure the 88 is the same.

GVWR is 7500#. I am pretty sure these vans weigh around 5500 loaded up which doesnt leave much room for towing. Mine has a class 2 hitch on it with a maximun tongue weight of 350 pounds and max towing capacity of 3500#.

I was hoping this can would at least be capable of pulling a 5-6k TT, but apparently it is for light weight towing only like small boats/jet skis I guess.

truepath
Explorer
Explorer
Have a welder who builds and installs hitches take a look at it. Chances are pretty good that you will be able to install a hitch without a lot of trouble.

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
That was quick and easy.

JonHartPhoto
Explorer
Explorer
Hey man, I recently purchased the same year and make, mine came with a hitch that states a 4000 towing capacity!