Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

towing with Class A

mattdenryter
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,
I am looking to tow my boat behind my MH. The current hitch is rated for 3500 lbs. My boat weighs 4700lbs. I know one of the problems with towing with MH is the long overhang over the rear axle. If I change out the hitch, and still stay under my GCVW would I be able to tow my boat. I have also been looking at and reading about the trailer toad http://www.trailertoad.com/id80.html to help take off the tongue weight on the motorhome.
Thanks in advance
11 REPLIES 11

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
mattdenryter wrote:
That is why I was asking, if I stay under the GCWR of the MH with the 5000lb boat would I be ok? The dry weight of the MH is 14120, the GCWR is 21000, so a difference of 6880, so minus 5000 for the boat leaves 1880 in cargo and gas in the MH. If I stayed at or under the 21000, would I be ok?

it's the wet weight you should be considering, that's assuning you want to tow the boat while using the RV for it's intended purpose.

the maximum amount of weight you can safely tow will be the lesser of the following:

- the GCWR minus the actual weight of the MH as it is loaded for travel (food, fuel, water, LP, clothing, supplies, pets, people and misc. stuff); OR

- the weight rating of the MH hitch (Class II 3500-lbs, Class III 5000-lbs, Class IV 10,000-lbs); OR

- the weight rating of your towbar

load up the MH as you would for travel and then get individual axle weights at a certified scale. compare those axle weights to the published gross axle weight rating (GAWR) for that motorhome. the actual axle weight must be less than/equal to the rating for that axle. add the two axle weights to arrive at the total rolling weight and then apply the three conditions above. assume nothing.

as others have pointed out simply changing the hitch is not enough. you need to speak with someone about that who has no financial interest in the answer one way or another. i'd start with the mfg of your MH and see what they have to say.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Listen to most of this and you will sell the boat. My sons boat weighs just a little more than that and has been towed all over the East, mountains and all with a F-150 and a 1994 Diesel Blazer in addition to my DP. So unless there is some serious deficiency in the back frame of your MH you will be fine as most of that weight is on the trailer wheels anyway. I doubt Joc Nicholson (trailer toad owner) would reccamend one for something that light.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Remember too, the drive train may not be sufficient to handle the extra weight. Many transmission problems can be attributed to overloaded towing. There's a reason the mfg put on a 3500# hitch.....good luck...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
It's been posted on here before, but here it is again...work the numbers, the tow rating is the lower of:

1. GCWR minus tow vehicle's actual weight.

2. Hitch capacity.

3. Coach tow rating.

4. Chassis maker's tow rating.
2014 American Eagle

mattdenryter
Explorer
Explorer
Its a 1998 Georgie boy cruisemaster 3515.. P30 chassis and chevy 454 engine..

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
what year make and model MH?
What chassis?

some manufacturers (more often on C's than A's) used some pretty cheesy means to extend the frames to accomodate the house, and the beef behind the axle just isn't there, hence the low tow ratings.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
You need to weight the MH. I'm betting you're way heavier than you think you are! Do not base anything on the Dry weight.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

mattdenryter
Explorer
Explorer
That is why I was asking, if I stay under the GCWR of the MH with the 5000lb boat would I be ok? The dry weight of the MH is 14120, the GCWR is 21000, so a difference of 6880, so minus 5000 for the boat leaves 1880 in cargo and gas in the MH. If I stayed at or under the 21000, would I be ok?

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
You need to consider the GCWR of the MH also. There's more than one reason they rated it at 3500#. Just changing the hitch out doesn't provide more TT capacity.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

mattdenryter
Explorer
Explorer
Yes the trailer has brakes on it..Does anyone have any experience using a trailertoad to help eliminate the tongue weight on the motorhome. If so just wondering what your thoughts are, as these are not cheap. they run about $3000. Wondering if it is worth the money.
Thanks

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
You should be all right provided the frame members where you will weld the new hitch can handle the weight. You do have electric brakes on the trailer, I presume. Make sure the electrical connections for the trailer connection on your motorhome accommodate the trailer braking system. I would go for at least a 7,000 pound hitch and preferably a 10,000 pound one to have margin for stresses.
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA