cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer fire RECALLED ITEM

dancoppins
Explorer
Explorer
Just before Christmas our 2010 Carriage Cameo Fifth Wheel sustained an electrical fire. The cause of the fire was determined to be a defective IOTA Automatic Transfer Switch located within the belly of the trailer. All the electrical power turned off and both the 50 AMP and GFI circuit breakers, transfer switch as well as the microwave/convection oven were toasted. Thankfully we were in the trailer when the MicroWave/Oven turned itself on and began arcing, and smoking with wires burning.

When the repairs were made I found out the switch had been recalled (we were never notified)and was a fire hazard. The repairman said this is the most common cause for a fire in a trailer. The wires come loose and overheat. He suggested to annually check this switch to make sure connections are tight. All has been repaired and we are now fighting with the insurance company to be reimbursed.......Time will take care of that issue.:M
7 REPLIES 7

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
This makes me boiling mad....Monaco never reached out to me about this but yet Navistar reached out to me about a brake pedal recall years ago...I intend to call Monaco and check this as I have this exact switch...no trouble with it but again why play with fire?..My biggest fear by the way is if it happens and my dogs are inside without us such as an excursion....

SHAME ON NAVISTAR AND SHAME ON ASV as they purchased the company lock stock and barrel
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I think you had 2 problems. The Transfer AND the Microwave. The Transfer switch(even defective) would NOT cause the Microwave to come on and cause arc'ing and smoking wires. REPLACE the Microwave if you have not done so already. Why is your Insurance balking? Carriage is out of business and that is why you probably did not receive the recall notice. The recall is subject to infighting. Iota claims the reason is because the OEM's did NOT correctly torque the screws for the 120 wire connections and because they were not tight to specs could work loose and that is why Iota states they are not responsible for a recall. Some OEM's that used Iota made the decision to send out a recall and replace the Transfer boxes on their dime. Some Oem's did not do that. Doug

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Loose wiring, bad contacts, 120 voltage with high am draw in a small enclosure are some of the reasons I did away with our auto transfer switch and installed a sub-panel.
I have to do the switching but less chance of failing.

OP
Hope the insurance company gets their act together...shouldn't have to fight with them.

Thanks for the reminder. Checking wiring terminals Main Panel/Sub-Panel & power cord receptacle) has become part of our quarterly maint. routine/checks as we travel/move frequently
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the info. We have a TT and when I looked at the recall list ours may be one. I will call Monaco tomorrow.

booty51
Explorer
Explorer
Fire in an rv of any type can be deadly as we all know. I don't care what type it is , maybe a heads up for all of us to just check xfer switch connections from time to time . I think I will check mine next time I am preparing to use it!

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Actually Guys, this should be posted any place that MIGHT have that transfer switch. It should include the make and model of the recalled transfer switch.

I don't know if they will let you multi-post the same item to:
Class A
Class C
Fifth-Wheels
Travel Trailers
Toy haulers
General RVing Issues

And anything else where it might save some grief.
That's my take...

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for your incident and best of luck getting good resolve from the people responsible
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape