cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling in cold weather

Cubanredneck
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning the wife wants to plan a trip this Christmas and I am kind of hesitant due to the weather. In particular the freezing temps overnight. We currently only travel in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, The Carolinas and Louisiana. So when she told me she wanted to go to Pigeon Forge, Gatlingburg, Nashville and Memphis I was concerned. Being a born and raised S. Floridian i am not currently prepared for travel in areas that could or will go below the freezing point. I guess my question is would i have to do something special to ensure my plumbing is not compromised? I saw Antifreeze for the plumbing system but i would assume that would only be used to winterize the coach not for use while traveling as it would render the water useless correct? Will leaving all the faucets cracked open at night prevent a line rupture? Sewer lines will freeze? Black and Gray Water tanks? Any help and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

CubanRedneck
Danny & Ali
Daniella Grace & Abigail Hope
Storm the destructive American Bulldog
2007 Itasca Sunova 35J.
2011 Ford F150 4x4
2017 Honda CRV
18 REPLIES 18

Cubanredneck
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info! Reservations have been made, RV has been checked, New tires have been installed all that's left is to jump in and go.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Danny & Ali
2007 Itasca Sunova 35J.
2011 Ford F150 4x4
2017 Honda CRV

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
We travel in Jan out of Denver area every year and sometimes get into 10 degrees weather but by keeping the heaters on and all the other things to do as stated by many folks above it is no problem. Go and enjoy your winter trip.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Danny, I own a 04 Winnebago Adventurer (gas coach) and all my tanks and storage compartments are heated. All I have to do is keep the propane tank full, I have a heat pump so it cuts out the electricity around 33* and the propane fuels the heat pump from there. Also don't let your gas tank get below 1/4 tank or you won't have fuel for your genset if needed. And of course when parked turn on your hot water heater. One time I had the electricity and propane to my coach turned off and it got down to 25* and my coach was just fine the next day!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
While in use you should be fine down to 25... maybe even 20.
Go for it.

WTD44
Explorer
Explorer
Often if you have rain or snow, freezing temps, and the slides are out, you will get a freeze on the toppers or the slides . You will not easily be able to put your slides in. So, if you want to leave first thing n the morning, you should clear the ice off the night b-4 and put the slides in for the night.
'07 H.R. Scepter > P A Q
Cummins 400 ISL
Alison 6 speed World
08 CR-V
Wife and,
Sparky the Wonder Dog

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
Keep an eye on your propane level.

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
I've camped in 16 degree weather for a week just using the furnace. My duct work runs through the bays and it usually stays in the fifties down there, even at night. I've never had a frozen line or tank. I seldom winterize and even at home, I just put a light bulb in the bays I want to protect and it stays plenty warm. I love cold weather camping.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

Cubanredneck
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies and incite. I am feeling a little more comfort now with the thought of going on this trip. I actually checked some of the original coach paperwork and found out the G and B area is heated so that was good to know. I will be sure to leave a vent cracked open for the humidity issues.
Danny & Ali
2007 Itasca Sunova 35J.
2011 Ford F150 4x4
2017 Honda CRV

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
You said you would be traveling so the freezing temp won't be a problem. I assume you will be running the heater to keep the coach warm and using the black and grey tanks.

Enough heat will radiate into the bays and the constant use of the tanks will prevent freezing. Just remember to fill the FW tank and disconnect the hose until it's time to refill.

Unless you will be in northern Alberta, you should be just fine.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our previous '95 Coachmen with single pane windows kept us toasty warm at -4 deg.F last January in southern Virginia. The only freeze up was a short pipe leading to our fresh water pressure tank. All that did was make the pump run every time a faucet was opened, and only took about 5 minutes with a hair dryer to thaw out.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Norm___Deb
Explorer
Explorer
Or, you could just winterize the RV with pink stuff in the lines, and use bottled water to drink, and pink stuff to flush the toilet.
Norm

2001 Monaco Knight 38' DP Triple Slide
2001 4WD Blazer in back

"Everything I will ever tell you will be 100% the truth, or would be 100% the truth if it actually happened."

pugslyyy
Explorer
Explorer
With the single pane windows you are going to get quite a lot of condensation on the inside glass - just something to be prepared for.

It's always good to leave a roof vent open part ways so that the moisture will have a way out.

If you are in the habit of turning your water heat off during the night you might want to leave it on when it is really cold.

If you are concerned about the black/grey tanks just dump some of the pink antifreeze in there - it's cheap insurance and might be worth it for the peace of mind.

Cubanredneck
Explorer
Explorer
sdianel wrote:
we have camped in 10 degree weather with no problems. Fill the onboard water tank, unhook the water hose from the RV and dump tanks when you have water that is not frozen. Our bays are heated, if yours are not, you can use a light bulb as Executive said. Make sure you have plenty of propane for the heater. Make sure you ask the campground if the water will be on. Many campgrounds either close in the winter or turn the water off. Be prepared to stay as long as necessary so you can leave when there is no snow or ice on the roads. That area is very popular during the holidays. Reservations may be necessary. We like River Plantation in Sevierville as home base.

Thanks SDIANEL, we currently have reservations at Bear Cove and this will be our base for 3 night. Then we will be stopping in Nashville for 2 nights and Memphis for 2 nights. According to my wife the campground will have water. thanks for the light bulb trick will the light bulb be enough to keep the black and gray tanks from icing over or will i have to use some sort of antifreeze.
Danny & Ali
2007 Itasca Sunova 35J.
2011 Ford F150 4x4
2017 Honda CRV

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
We always leave Florida in the Winter to travel north and west to colder climates. Tennessee will not get so cold, for an extended period of time to cause any major problems.
Forget about hooking up to shore water if the temps are going to get below freezing. Just keep your fresh water tank close to full and use it for your water needs.
If it is going to get below freezing for any length, a 100 watt bulb in a garage trouble light and left in your wet basement compartment will keep things flowing.
Don't hook up your sewer line until you are ready to dump the tanks.
Enjoy the area and worry more about keeping yourself warm than the coach freezing. An electric blanket might be helpful.