cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling out West from Indiana with 40' Motorhome pulling trailer w/jeep in late August.

ThorneIN
Explorer II
Explorer II

Would like to visit Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone and hopefully some other areas within a 10 day span.  Need ideas on stopovers and outside Yellowstone campgrounds for base camp.  Leaving Indiana late August with 40' Motorhome pulling trailer w/jeep. 

7 REPLIES 7

ThorneIN
Explorer II
Explorer II

Planning on staying in Yellowstone/teton area 10 days, not counting traveling and other stops.  Hopefully good base camp located near Tetons and another near Yellowstone.

JOHNBURKE
Explorer II
Explorer II

You have about 1600 miles whether you go to YNP from the north or the south. I mapped the distance from Indianaoplis. Either route is not bad. Take one going there and the other going home. I stay at Grizzlys in West Yellowstone when we go there. It is the highest priced but is the nicest, for a trip like you are doing it is money well spent. When you are in the park it has two loops, upper and lower. Both take a day to do. Stop at the visitor in town, get your info about things to do and get a map of the park there. At Roosevelt, on the upper loop, you can go horseback riding or take the stagecoach ride. I would take the stagecoach. Grandkids went on it last year and saw buffalo and a bear a little way away. Use your third day to hang out in the town, go shopping, hit the bear center, have lunch and relax. Fourth day go to Virgina City, it is an old gold mining town. Take the small train to Carson City, just 2-3 miles long. Stop by the visitor center at earthquake lake, you go right by it. It is about 85 miles one way. Find a brochure for there. It is worth the trip. Be prepared for crowds, leave early in the morning to avoid the worst of the crowds and get back early enough to have a cocktail and start supper. Bring your patience and mostly PAY ATTENTION TO THE GUIDES AND TRAIL SIGNS IN THE PARK, you do not want to be "that guy" that gets put on the internet for doing dumb stuff.

ThorneIN
Explorer II
Explorer II

I plan on spending a least 10 days around Teton and Yellowstone.  Iโ€™ve been trying to find the best area for a base camp for the motorhome  and then traveling the area with tow vehicle.  Decided against mt Rushmore for this trip.  Jackson a good area for that?  Motorhome & Trailer 62โ€™.  Any good areas for jeeping?  Never been to this area so need suggestions.

Gooma
Explorer
Explorer

In 10 days you can drive to Yellowstone, take a picture of the welcome sign and drive back to Indiana.

@Gooma wrote:

In 10 days you can drive to Yellowstone, take a picture of the welcome sign and drive back to Indiana.

Currently, I would have to say that's close to the truth. Figuring in traffic, weather, etc. With that size of rv equipment, finding a place to stay will be hard. Not many sites or places available to handle them.

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II

I have a friend that just enters a state, then clams they have seen and been in that state.  I can not speak about yellowstone as I have not been there. I do know that one can easily spend a week in the SD area. I think you need to pick one go for it and do the next one the following year. 

Last year we stayed at KOA in Interior SD. This gave us a good spot to visit, Wall, Badlands etc 2-3 days. From there drove to Custer SD stayed at our favorite spot Fort WeLikit. This gave us great base camp for visiting all the necessary items in and about Mount Rushmore. 4-5 days. Black HIlls Campgrounds | Fort Welikit Family Campground (blackhillsrv.com)

If possible you may want to adjust your plans to stay in the Custer area for the  Buffalo round up. This event should be on everybodies bucket list. Buffalo Roundup and Arts Festival | South Dakota Game, Fish, and Parks (sd.gov)

Good Luck

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II

Youโ€™ll have about 6 full days of driving (3 each way) (maybe 7 depending on stops) that leaves 4 days at best of being a tourist. In my opinion Yellowstone is the only thing youโ€™ll be able to realistically see; and youโ€™ll only be getting a brief tour of that.

You can do short stops at wall drug, corn palace, devils tower, little big horn, mt Rushmore, etc. along the way, but that will be about it.