cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a Honda EU 2000i with a "cheater plug" in ???

wtfjr
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All
We have an electrical question as follows--

For our first time we plan to use a cheater plug at Sebastian State Park where all that is offered is 30 amp service. One arm of this cheater plug will plug into the 30 amp side of the shore power station & the other arm from this "cheater plug" will plug into the 15 amp side of the shore power station giving us up to 45 amp service into our power line. The only potential problem is that if the 15 amp side of the shore power station is GFI protected, this Cheater plug will not work, as the GFI breaker will trip to off.

Our question is, if this 15 amp plug in can not be used by us due to the GFI breaker, can we use our Honda Generator EU 2000i to plug into as an alternative to the 15 amp power & not negatively affect anything in the coaches electrical system ?

We feel the Honda will run more quietly & use less gas than our Onan 7.7

We'd really appreciate any comments or suggestions here. Thanks !!

PS; we are aware that with 30 amps you only run one a/c & nothing else like a microwave, coffee pot etc.

PSS; what is the difference between running the onboard Onan 7.7 & running the Honda instead ?
Bill in sunny Ormond by the Sea FL
2014 31'SA Allegro Open Road
5 REPLIES 5

oldchief7155
Explorer
Explorer
You need to learn power management. WHen you run high juice items like microwave, hair dryer, water heater, etc, you just turn other things off.

I can guarantee you, your neighbors will not appreciate a generator running plus state parks have strict hours they can be run in dry sites.

Bikeboy57
Explorer
Explorer
Am i interpreting your question correctly, paraphrasing "Can I plug one of the cheater plugs into the campground 30 amp service, and the other cheater plug into my Honda generator?"

If that is the question, the answer is a solid NO!!!!!!!!!!

You would be tieing your generator into the national grid and backfeeding the power supply. There are all kinds of real safety problems and phase problems with this.

If I misread your question, please forgive me.
Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Third time I have seen this thread today.

Using a meter find out if your cheater box is like mine.. The neutral and ground are common, The HOT wires however one plug feeds one side of the 50 amp outlet, the other plug feeds the OTHER side.

IF that is how yours is wired... THEN I think your plan SHOULD work since the two legs are independent of each other on a motor home.. This assumes you do not have any 240 volt stuff.. YOUR Energeny management system (If you have one) may, however, fail to detect the generator... Just so you know. Manual override may be needed. (I forgot that in the other threads)

WHY is this: So long as the two legs are seperated (Except for the neutral and safety ground) there should not be any interaction between the genny and the mains.

One other thing.. Some Gennies do not like to have neutral and ground bonded. Others do not mind. If yours is of the first kind you will need to "Break" the ground lead to the genny... There are several ways to do this.. Hopefully the genny maker will have done it internally (How I would do it)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
EVERY thing will work on the 7.7

The other is if they only offer 30 amps then that is all you are going to get. The 15 amp probable is wired on the same leg.

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
why go though all that troble many times camped with 30 amp service on my 50 amp mh can run both ac fridge tvs no problem if you have to use microwave your mh should shed current or turn 1 ac off when using microwave