cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Was looking ar a small A

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Have run across a small (31') Damon class A, an Avanti with a small diesel. Kinda odd seeing a front diesel in particularlly with a V-6 turbo diesel (4.5 liter Maxxforce) which apparently had issues early on but was better in later years, this one was from the last year of production of that engine, and an Allison 6 speed.
Has anyone had one of these, and was it a nightmare. This 2010 with 40k miles seems on the surface to be a nice little unit, and stuff I read on the other forum indicated fuel economy claims from current owner are not exaggerated at 13.5 to 14. The idea of a small diesel is appealing, and I dont normally drive over 60 anyway so I dont believe the small diesel would be too bad.
7 REPLIES 7

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
This engine was supposed to be for Ford Motor as part of the 6.0L/6.4L deal. The 6.4L was so late Navistar stopped working on the V6 completely and Ford NEVER bought any of them.

There was a very UGLY divorce between Ford and Navistar just before Ford launched their current 6.7L PowerStroke diesel.

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
Think why they stop making them?? That would tell you why their not around

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
OK thanks all.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Adding to what the others have said, Damon is not exactly known as building the best quality RV's by a long shot. Probably a good idea to keep looking.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interior pictures I reviewed show a very nice coach.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Roger_in_VERMON
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Maxxforce engine in one of our trucks. It's been nothing but trouble and cost $$$$$ to keep going. Our mechanic said the worse engine out there.
I would walk away from one now.
๐Ÿ™‚ 2001 41' Holiday Rambler Imperial
2004 Jeep Wrangler
Weekenders and Loving it!

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The 4.5L Maxxforce has a bad reputation.