cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water/Fuel separator question?

Coach_Cleats
Explorer
Explorer
After empting the separator filter by the drain valve how do we get fuel back in the filter to start engine? Cat 2004 c7.
2004 Safari Cheetah 36 PDD, 03 Wrangler Sahara Toad W/Buddy Brake.
Denise and Bob 70 Years as Teachers!
Kodi D'dog'.
About to play as long as we worked.
Senior Softball! What a blast. Nothing is routine!
12 REPLIES 12

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our Cat on Freightliner chasis water fuel separator is below tank level.
Just turn thee screw and drain out water and anything else until fuel is starting to run out.
Close and good to go.
If you lose prime at the fuel pump then installing the pump, if you don't have one is a great idea. I don't know if we have one or not.
Not going to see air up there unless you take the line off or you run it out of fuel.

diplomatdon
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know what your definition of grime is but if you are getting grit, dirt, foreign material in the bottom of your filter in short order you have problems in you tank. If you have this "grime" in your filter you should be changing filter not just dumping it out. The cartridge material will also be full of the material. To check, replace filter then cut the old one open and have a look. Good luck.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fire Dept do extremely lot of preventive maintenance.
I had Racor separator on my VW diesel installed by PO.
The aging orings on it were major source of troubles and headaches.
I deleted the Racor and problems stop.
I drive diesels in CA for almost 30 years and yet have to see water in diesel.
In last decade all US gas stations had to switch to double-wall tanks that prevent moisture in them.
On Powerstrokes fuel filter should be replaced every 30k. I made over 90k on my F450 while towing heavy before clog filter gave me some hesitation. The filter on Powerstroke is on top of the engine, so 5 minutes job to replace and electric pump does priming.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
You can also install a Racor fuel water separator, and not have to fill filters they have one that auto drains the water, we had them installed in all the fire engines and ladder trucks and all Diesel powered equipment, even on gasoline emergency units.

navegator

Coach_Cleats
Explorer
Explorer
My situation was a layer of grim on the bottom and no water. Still grimy on the bottom and will drain again.
Kodi D'dog'.

diplomatdon
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with wolfe10, and a follow up recommendation. Water in fuel comes from a fuel station fill up or condensation. Nothing you can do about the first however the second comes from partially full fuel tanks left to sit. I always try to leave my DP full when left for periods without use. This is especially the case when greater fluctuations in temp are happening causing the condensation in the tank.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Totally agree:

If a clear bowl fuel filter, you can visually check for problems-- either dirt or water when will be in the bottom.

And, if you do drain, as diplomatdon said, only drain a little into a clear container. Check the container for either dirt or water.

A clear golden color with no dirt and no "layer" is what you are looking for.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

diplomatdon
Explorer
Explorer
FYI there is not really a need to drain the fuel filter unless you like major tow or service bills. This is something sales people who don't know what they are talking about tell newbie diesel owners. If you feel the need to check for water, just drain a small amount into a container, if you have a water issue you will see it in the bottom. water and diesel will not mix and water is heavier than diesel so pools in the bottom of container. I drove commercial truck for over 40 years and went 10 to 12k miles between services and never drained fuel filters. Could tell when a problem, would remove and dump out filter to check, refill and replace. Over 2.5 million miles and only changed filter on the road 3 or 4 times. We always carried a jug of fuel and refilled filter before spinning it on. Just my experience.

Coach_Cleats
Explorer
Explorer
Yes found the pump and used it! It was really hard to push but everything worked out OK.

You should be coaching the Texans in my book!!
Kodi D'dog'.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
If you do have the second fuel filter, WITH MANUAL PRIMER PUMP, USE IT!!

If you have a Caterpillar secondary fuel filter and no primer pump, consider adding one. It just replaces the block off plate held by two bolts.

This totally eliminates the fire drill associated with changing or servicing fuel filter. You can install the filters dry and use the manual pump to prime the whole system.
Brett Wolfe

Coach_Cleats
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I have 2nd filter. I've turn the ignition switch on and off 4 times but no additional fuel has come in the filter. I'm afraid to start the engine and get an air pocket.
Kodi D'dog'.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have the Caterpillar secondary fuel filter with manual primer pump?

If so, unscrew(counter-clockwise)the knurl nut. Pump (in/out). When it goes from easy to move (air) to hard to move (fuel is non-compressible) screw it back in (clockwise). Start engine and drive off.

Let us know if you do not have the manual primer pump.
Brett Wolfe