cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water pump/no pressure?

chast
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi all--'97 RT170P. All was well with the water system until I decided to install an anode rod. Now when I turn on the pump, it runs and water flows, but it will not built pressure (taps off) and shut off. I have checked to see the water heater is full (pressure relief valve) and the pump sounds normal (pumping water) but then goes quiet and keeps running. I suspect air in the lines but can't get the pump to build pressure and shut off. What gives?
chartrue2@aol.com
4 REPLIES 4

chast
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks all--problem solved. Tried hooking up to city water and letting pump run--no effect. Pump would begin to make a "throaty" sound like it was picking up water then continue to run without building pressure and shutting off. Although I had plenty of water in the tank, I filled it completely, turned on the pump, let the taps run for a few minutes, shut the taps and viola'--problem solved. Pump picked up the prime, built pressure and shut off like it is supposed to. Thanks all for your input.
chartrue2@aol.com

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
chast wrote:
He) and the pump sounds normal (pumping water) but then goes quiet and keeps running.
Not sure I understand this part..
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rav
Explorer
Explorer
can you hook it up to a water connection and let the water run to help get the air out?

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
In the meantime waiting for an expert to respond try opening all of the faucets full blast for 15 seconds to see if that clears the air in the lines.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)