cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What do you do for WIFI on the road

Forest66
Explorer
Explorer
Aside from from WIFI at CG and cellular on your phone what do you use for internet access for say a lap top while on the road.
70 REPLIES 70

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Forest66 wrote:
Aside from from WIFI at CG and cellular on your phone what do you use for internet access for say a lap top while on the road.

If your current phone does not offer a hotspot option you can get a new phone or you need to change providers. If you use your cellular internet a lot and you like to be on the phone as well then I would suggest you add a MiFi to your cellular account (with Verizon that's $10/month) and you can do as you please when you please until your data runs out! I happen to have a business and I signed up for the Sprint unlimited data plan. It's about $45/month with truly unlimited data but the coverage is not as good a Verizon and the speeds tend to be on the low side of 4G.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
usersmanual wrote:
the trouble with Verizon using jetpack or usb stick its $$$$$ if u use and need internet several hours a day
its fine if u just want to check a few emails or do some quick banking
or amazon purchase but if your like me surfing 24/7 (exaggerating)
but read all the news and sports and things like Rv net etc etc etc its will be well over $100 per month

I have used 8 GB in the last 7 days for example the other thing is you have to start and stop it all the time which to me is a pain in the butt

I use mine every day (using it now) and I have 4 smart phones 3 tablets, and mifi on my account and we have never hit the 6gb cap. However, I can hit it in a day if I stream video.

If u have 8 devices all using internet and have never hit 6GB in a month then that means vitutually u never use them(for interent) which is fine. I was just pointing out if u use the net like I do then using a cell phone connection is extremely expensive

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
We currently use an AT&T/Cricket hotspot with unlimited 4G/LTE data and a Verizon hotspot with unlimited 3G data. We also have another Verizon hotpot with a 20GB/mo 4G/LTE plan, but I currently have it suspended since the AT&T service has been very good wherever we've been recently.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We've been running Verizon Mifi for 4 years. It has been reliable we try to use campground wifi when available which most isn't. We presently have 4 devices connected two laptops and two samsung tablets and Dw's phone on the same plan 24 gigs unlimited voice and message , good in Canada for $140.00 plus tax and fees.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Verizon jetpack.
2013 ACE 29.2

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Technomadia's Mobile Internet Handbook. They have tested most everything for RVers and are FT RVers themselves.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Aircards used to be what a MiFi box is now, before WiFi became generally available on most devices. It was the same thing, just plugged direct into a card slot instead of being WiFi.. There are some still available that plug into USB. Mifi has the advantage of supporting sever devices at the same time.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
usersmanual wrote:
the trouble with Verizon using jetpack or usb stick its $$$$$ if u use and need internet several hours a day
but read all the news and sports and things like Rv net etc etc etc its will be well over $100 per month

I have used 8 GB in the last 7 days for example the other thing is you have to start and stop it all the time which to me is a pain in the butt

I use mine every day (using it now) and I have 4 smart phones 3 tablets, and mifi on my account and we have never hit the 6gb cap. However, I can hit it in a day if I stream video.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Forest66 wrote:
yep thats what I was looking for. (aircard) Thanks!
You're sure? Because in your OP you said '.. aside from.. cellular'.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Thats expensive option from verizon.. Looks like your locked in to a 2 yr contract.. Blaaaahhh!!!

I use straight talk 4g LTE from walmart. My phones are straight talk also..

Pay as you go. I only use the wifi hotspot for camping.

I get whatever gigs I need for the trip..

When you run out you buy more or get cut off. There is no secret charges when you go over the data.

http://www.shopstraighttalk.com/bpdirect/straighttalk/PhoneDetails.do?action=view&_ga=null&productVa...

Usually I get 2 gigs for $25.. Lets me check e mails on my lap top/ surf net etc....

I lower the bit rate on netflix to .3 gigs and hour. I let the kids watch 3 hours or so of TV/netflix cartoons. That usues about 1 gig. I have a smart TV in the camper.

Data plans

Fast LTE 4G.. I made sure I bought the 288L version from walmart as it uses the verizon towers. There is another version that usues the ATT towers and I read there were issues with that one.

Look for the verizon map on the box.. Old pic. Units ar 39 bucks now I believe..

Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Forest66 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
McDonald's, Starbucks.

There it is again.. first responder quoting the entire OP.

yeah Im more looking for some kind of connecting equipment i can use via a cellular network instead of a location that has wifi

I know there use to be a usb device that you could connect to the internet via cellular but cant remember what its called and cant find it via google

are you thinking of a mifi device? there are several companies that offer a USB dongle that will piggyback onto one or more of the wireless companies but it's still cellular data. if you have a smart phone or tablet you should have wifi hot spot feature you can use to connect your laptop to the net.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer

Forest66
Explorer
Explorer
Clay L wrote:
Forest66 wrote:

yeah Im more looking for some kind of connecting equipment i can use via a cellular network instead of a location that has wifi

I know there use to be a usb device that you could connect to the internet via cellular but cant remember what its called and cant find it via google

Used to be called an aircard but now more often a USB modem. It will plug into a USB port on the laptop.

yep thats what I was looking for. Thanks!

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a Mifi fan.

Jetpack

Its a hotspot through your cellular plan that allows up to 15 items to hook up. I just throw it in the coach on a charger and its like home wifi - everything in the coach automatically hooks up wireless. Our tablets, Dish, Roku, even the smart TVs. I don't think it adds much to your account, although with Verizon, it does share data with your other devices.

The advantage of MiFi over using your phone for a hotspot is, when somebody calls your phone it will kick off your hotspot. Mifi is not affected. You have to watch out for video streaming because it can eat up your data, regardless of whether you use hotspot or mifi.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
We use the Verizon jet pack for secure WiFi, like banking and another device and rv park for nonsecure WiFi for brousing, reading and posting on sites such as rv.net, facebook,etc.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler