cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you think this Prevost is worth?

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
A friend of mine bought his first RV back in 2000. It was a Liberty Coach Elegant Lady on a Prevost chassis, with all of the bells and whistles, custom ordered from the factory at a cost of slightly over one million. It was set up to sleep 6 since they have four children and had all of the latest electronics for 2000. At the time, I was doing construction work for this gentleman and I built a custom garage to house it that was air conditioned and allowed it to be powered up at all times. The coach has a total of 22,000 miles. I have put about 1500 miles on it, about 10 years ago, and it drives like a dream. It is 45 foot long with the tag axle, etc. It is set up for a toad.
Here is the question.......What do you think the coach is worth today?
It still looks like new but it has the original 13 year old tires. Batteries were changed 5 years ago. It has the 20KW diesel generator. IT HAS NO SLIDES. All of the electronics are now 13 years old. The exterior and interior look like new. The exterior is very tastefully done in polished stainless with black stripes. This was a top of the line coach in year 2000 but to me personally I would guess that he would have trouble finding someone willing to pay more than $150,000 today. He is thinking much more.
What do you think?
42 REPLIES 42

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
W E L L .... T H A N K Y O U very much! Why did I have to click on this site? I made the mistake of browsing over at the Precoststuff.com and found a beautiful coach and now I can't sleep at night.

It's the 2014 Prevost converted by Outlaw. I had never heard of them and found their website and they have been in business for quite a while. They are now an exclusive seller of the Outlaw coaches with Motorhome Speciality in Texas. That design and color are just about perfect, although I would like a small red stripe somewhere on the outside paint. Generally, I will find a dozen 'wrong' things but this one maybe just one or two.

$500K off MSRP caught my eye. I'm assuming it has the Volvo engine and I wonder how hard it is to locate a service shop like I do with my Cummins. I guess I better get my google on! LOL!

It even has matching outdoor chairs and a pull-out grill with a little fridge..... I wonder how much they'll give me for my Dynasty?

You guys are going to get me in trouble!

MM.

Only two words for you Mr. Mark. "DO IT"

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
W E L L .... T H A N K Y O U very much! Why did I have to click on this site? I made the mistake of browsing over at the Precoststuff.com and found a beautiful coach and now I can't sleep at night.

It's the 2014 Prevost converted by Outlaw. I had never heard of them and found their website and they have been in business for quite a while. They are now an exclusive seller of the Outlaw coaches with Motorhome Speciality in Texas. That design and color are just about perfect, although I would like a small red stripe somewhere on the outside paint. Generally, I will find a dozen 'wrong' things but this one maybe just one or two.

Even the front bumper flips down for extra storage and it has windows in the sides of the slides. I don't recall seeing that on regular Prevost models.

$500K off MSRP caught my eye. I'm assuming it has the Volvo engine and I wonder how hard it is to locate a service shop like I do with my Cummins. I guess I better get my google on! LOL!

It even has matching outdoor chairs and a pull-out grill with a little fridge..... I wonder how much they'll give me for my Dynasty?

You guys are going to get me in trouble!

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think it is obvious that the real sales price/value of this coach would depend on whether the buyer is able to do the required mechanical work himself to make it roadworthy as opposed to a buyer that would have to have it towed, and worked on, by some shop that would base their total labor and parts cost on the fact that it is a Prevost. Go in to a shop with a coach like this, without a complete knowledge base of what it needs, and you are at the mercy of the shop. This is a dream come true for a lot of shops, especially in this economy.

JTHarley
Explorer
Explorer
In actuality a coach is worth what a seller will sell it for and what a buyer will pay for it. Just like any motorhome, I've seen prevost for sale for a year on the prevost-stuff.com site. Once the seller gets realistic the buyers will come. I've been watching the site for about 4 months now......I've seen a bunch of older prevosts sell and alot sit. A fair starting price for a 14 year old prevost with no slides (especially a Liberty) would be $150K in my opinion.

Remember a buyer will want to zero out a coach that old so new tires, batteries, air bags, diesel service, genny service, aqua hot service, belts, hoses ect.....are not cheap!
Jim , MJ & Spirit of Sambuca Bear
2015 Dynamax DQ320XL
Jeep Sahara Toad

snooderhound
Explorer
Explorer
Drive it every month , run the genny with load , treat the fuel with good products- algacide + Howe's. Have him and you keep using it when you need a portable living room or running from the hurricane. Watch for mice , they will cause damage. Run all the systems-heat. cool , toilet etc. put bleach in the water tank. It will be worth 100,000 for years to someone. It will be decades before it's worth $20,000. But, it is not worth $200,000 or more, yeah it hurts , paying 1M and having it depreciate down to 100k, but most autos do the same . I've taken mine to triathalons, marathons etc and volunteered as a command post vehicle. The other volunteers cherish the AC and a real toilet. Nice to give back !!!
97 MCI 45ft Custom Coach conversion , Detroit Diesel Series 60 . Chevy Suburban K2500 8.1L

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
It might be a long time before this becomes a widow's coach. The owner is just 46 years old. As mentioned he doesn't need the money which is why he is in no hurry to get rid of it. It is not in the way of anything and he does not need the garage space. Think of him as a hoarder that just accumulates toys or whatever, with the hope that some day, they will be useful for something.
Since it is in a climate controlled garage, I can't ever imagine that it would decay to the scrap yard. At a certain point in time, the necessary maintenance on any piece of equipment sort of levels out. It may already be at that point. Ten years from now, you may still have to do the exact same things to make it roadworthy again. I've restored vehicles that have sat for decades and it is doable without that much of a hassle if they were not left outside to rot.

snooderhound
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's worth $100-125,000 . It actually has a market for entertainer use or a family of 6. If the owner were to pass and it was a widow sale because she couldn't drive it anywhere, the value is $75,000. I would not change the interior just yet. It needs tires, check batts for corrosion & charge, service the main and genny. Forget about old electronics, if they work , they'll be more stable than new crap. Ad an IPAD, and XM radio... I own a 1997 Bus Conversion 98% original garaged and everything works. There are buses for sale, it is a buyers market. I wouldn't hesitate buying that bus if I wanted "the last RV you'll ever need" ...I have no slides , but I don't live in campgrounds for weeks. If he flies a Bell he doesn't need the cash for mortgage money. If he owns the "garage" , keep it plugged in , do the service I said above , drive it a few times a year. Best limo ever made. I have a driver now and then take us out for an evening. Did I say best limo EVER. .... Bus Conv are NOT classic cars, they depreciate like boats, eventually leveling off. If it has to go I know a guy who buys the "widow" buses for cash. My wife has his # in case I fall under the tractor etc.
97 MCI 45ft Custom Coach conversion , Detroit Diesel Series 60 . Chevy Suburban K2500 8.1L

JRS___B
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting, but kind of a sad story. This guy has so much money he can let a good piece of equipment sit and decay. Five years from now it will still be sitting there, and it might ultimately be scrapped for parts.

If he is not going to use it, he should consider donating it to charity and take the tax write off. It should not be 100% depreciated because it was not used 100% for business. So the non-business portion that could not be depreciated might still be available as a charitable donation. (Consult a tax expert, I certainly am not one).

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
H345 wrote:

Ron

A Prevost as you described would be a great deal for a couple or a family to travel in , but .... the issue is the shell / chassis / engine maintenance log . There is a lot of Prevost / Liberty level maintenance that should have been performed over the years and this is very expensive to catch up on . 13 year old tires are an indicator that other important items may have been deferred .

This coach should be surveyed by a Prevost Factory / Regional Service Center - then the real condition would be known and a fair value could be given .

I agree there has been a lot of "deferred" maintenance on this coach. To the best of my knowledge it has only been out of Florida twice. It was used for local trips and to use as a command center for some of his charitable functions. I'm sure that it has already been fully depreciated on the company books. The nearest factory service facility is in Stuart, FL, about 190 miles away. There is no way that he will ever drive it over there. Right now he is spending more time playing with his Bell Helicopter, which I have to admit is a lot of fun. I believe it is also has a 24 volt chassis main battery system, that just complicates things even more for the average mechanic.
When I built the garage for this coach it was in an unused portion of one of his large warehouses. Basically it is out of sight and pretty much out of mind. I ask him about the coach a few days ago and he said "oh yeah, the motor home, it just sits there."
He runs a very large and very successful company and he is always getting new toys to play with. Most of the old toys just sit around unused.
If anyone was seriously interested in the coach I would ask him if he wanted to negotiate a deal with someone. Keep in mind I thought it was worth $150K, give or take a few thousand, and I said awhile back that he thinks it is worth more. How much more, I do not know.

H345
Explorer
Explorer

Ron

A Prevost as you described would be a great deal for a couple or a family to travel in , but .... the issue is the shell / chassis / engine maintenance log . There is a lot of Prevost / Liberty level maintenance that should have been performed over the years and this is very expensive to catch up on . 13 year old tires are an indicator that other important items may have been deferred .

This coach should be surveyed by a Prevost Factory / Regional Service Center - then the real condition would be known and a fair value could be given .

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Well we are know how to find out what it is worth!. Put in on the market and see what you get.

First a little story. We had some friends that had a half million dollar house or so. Most people that sow it that were not in the market said so. So they priced it at $550,000 and in a few weeks rejected a $475,000 offer. About four years later they sold it for about $400,000.

Most of us think our stuff is worth more than most people are willing to pay JMHO.

Would I pay the price? NO!!! If the wife told me it was here life's dream I would offer less and then see what kind of deal I got.

The real issue is how bad does the owner want to sell and how long does he want to wait for it to move. Want to sell bad and want to move fast then lower price. Don't care if it moves then higher price.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

hipower
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
JRS & B wrote:
People who travel with dogs could use those bunks for their pets to sleep in.

That is a good suggestion. I was thinking that possibly the bunks could be removed and that area turned into closet/storage space. Weight is not a big concern with this chassis. You can stuff it full of things and I don't think you could ever overload it.

Without seeing this unit that would be my thinking.

What we are seeing in the replies leads me to think that the lack of slides is an issue for many potential buyers as is to be expected. There are major differences of opinion between those who could afford this type of a coach when new and those who would be interested in it at a price point where it would be affordable to many more potential owners.

My personal opinion would be that the floor plan could be changed without too severe of an expense. Tires, batteries and electronics can be upgraded/replaced without breaking the bank and the coach would be a great unit for a long time. Could there be some issues with seals or things that just deteriorate over time? Absolutely, but nothing that couldn't be dealt with.

It's all a matter of how willing is a buyer to accept the good with the potential bad. For me it would be an acceptable risk for a total buy-in, with upgrades and replacement of tires, etc that would get me in the driver's seat for something around $170K. But that's just me. For most of us this would be the best and last motorhome of our lives.

bigdad1
Explorer
Explorer
If this was anything other than a Prevost, I would say this is a high price, But, that being said, I have to say $150,000.00 is a cheap price. I'd go for it in a minute. There's nothing like a Prevost. I've owned and R.V.'d in other brands, but the ride and comfort in the Prevost is the best. JMHO

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
JRS & B wrote:
People who travel with dogs could use those bunks for their pets to sleep in.

That is a good suggestion. I was thinking that possibly the bunks could be removed and that area turned into closet/storage space. Weight is not a big concern with this chassis. You can stuff it full of things and I don't think you could ever overload it.