cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to use for GPS

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
Went to update my Garmin (RV 760) this morning. I got sent to a site that wanted to charge me for updates. This unit is supposed to have lifetime maps. Any advice on how to get those updates ? Failing that is there an app to use on a phone that is reliable and reasonably priced ?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
34 REPLIES 34

wa8yxm
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will say this.. I like to back whatever I use with paper maps. I've seen some "Strange" routing on the GPS. Plus paper gives me a larger view.

I also engage brain before starting engine... Why I say this.
One CG I used to stay at if I went to visit Darling Daughter at one point the GPS would tell me to "Turn left" Well, legally I was turning left but ... Physically I was going straigt.. To the left was a fence... If you just listen to the GPS.. Well there are TV commercials about that.. "Turn Right" (Crashes into flower shop) "In 800 feet".
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
Best advice I ever got about GPS: small TVs with a funny sense of humor.
I use a Garmin and a Rand McNally Road Atlas.
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

Lantley
Traveler
Traveler
valhalla360 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Like I said I thought I thoroughly checked the route, but missed the tight curves/almost switchbacks. And again google maps is good and I trust it when out west, but in the east with the tight roads everywhere it’s no good. And you can only pre check a 400 mile route so much. At 400 miles something will get past you. The GPS is a tool to go along with the knowledge on how to use it. I haven’t gotten stuck because of this thinking. But I prefer to skip backroads in the MH unless I’m well aware of what to expect!


If you are doing a 400mile day, it's probably mostly freeways and major roads except at the beginning and end. Not too many tight switchbacks on the freeway system, so just focus on the non-freeway part.

Never had an issue quickly finding tight areas with a quick pre-check.

I tend to agree with you. But if you own a large RV it is worthwhile to have a GPS with RV features vs. a standard GPS...there is a difference.
For the record I tend to use both RV model and Google maps. Between the 2, I manage to make it to my destination....LOL
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

valhalla360
Traveler
Traveler
dodge guy wrote:
Like I said I thought I thoroughly checked the route, but missed the tight curves/almost switchbacks. And again google maps is good and I trust it when out west, but in the east with the tight roads everywhere it’s no good. And you can only pre check a 400 mile route so much. At 400 miles something will get past you. The GPS is a tool to go along with the knowledge on how to use it. I haven’t gotten stuck because of this thinking. But I prefer to skip backroads in the MH unless I’m well aware of what to expect!


If you are doing a 400mile day, it's probably mostly freeways and major roads except at the beginning and end. Not too many tight switchbacks on the freeway system, so just focus on the non-freeway part.

Never had an issue quickly finding tight areas with a quick pre-check.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just a note. Google maps are fine for cars, but if you are hauling propane it will not tell you what roads propane is NOT allowed on. Also, if you have a high rise RV like mine, that it will not inform you of low bridges or over pass. I use for my RV the Garmin GPS along with Rand McNally truckers atlas to double check the GPS routes, confirm roads and underpass heights. For my car and truck I use exclusively Google Maps. It is great and beats Garmin hands down.

Nodaker
Explorer
Explorer
Another user who just updated my Garmin 760 yesterday with Garmin Express and NO CHARGE.

As someone said above, the Garmin works great for the main navigation. Co-Pilot will occasionally use Google Maps on phone to find local info or alternate route around construction or traffic issue.
Nodaker
2017 Newmar Bay Star 3113
2011 Chev Colorado dinghy

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
I would steer clear of any phone app GPS! I tried CoPilot, the routes always seemed questionable. The very last time I tried it it sent me down a road in WV highway 60 (Midland Trail) through Gauly Bridge.


If you expect to just plug in your destination and the car will drive you there...sure it might be problematic.

But GPS is an aid to navigation. As the helmsman, you still have a responsibility to look at the route. If in doubt, stick to interstate and major arterials if you don't want to vet side roads. That's basically what the dedicated RV/Trucker GPS units will do anyway.

Google maps is free, constantly updated and includes construction and congestion information. If you've looked at the route before departing, it's a really good option and avoids having an extra item kicking around on the dash board.

As far as finding things while on the road, the co-pilot will typically use Google Maps on her phone while mine is doing general navigation.


Like I said I thought I thoroughly checked the route, but missed the tight curves/almost switchbacks. And again google maps is good and I trust it when out west, but in the east with the tight roads everywhere it’s no good. And you can only pre check a 400 mile route so much. At 400 miles something will get past you. The GPS is a tool to go along with the knowledge on how to use it. I haven’t gotten stuck because of this thinking. But I prefer to skip backroads in the MH unless I’m well aware of what to expect!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

valhalla360
Traveler
Traveler
dodge guy wrote:
I would steer clear of any phone app GPS! I tried CoPilot, the routes always seemed questionable. The very last time I tried it it sent me down a road in WV highway 60 (Midland Trail) through Gauly Bridge.


If you expect to just plug in your destination and the car will drive you there...sure it might be problematic.

But GPS is an aid to navigation. As the helmsman, you still have a responsibility to look at the route. If in doubt, stick to interstate and major arterials if you don't want to vet side roads. That's basically what the dedicated RV/Trucker GPS units will do anyway.

Google maps is free, constantly updated and includes construction and congestion information. If you've looked at the route before departing, it's a really good option and avoids having an extra item kicking around on the dash board.

As far as finding things while on the road, the co-pilot will typically use Google Maps on her phone while mine is doing general navigation.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I haven’t updated my older Garmon in about 6 months, it has lifetime updates. I’ll have to check it out this weekend.

I would steer clear of any phone app GPS! I tried CoPilot, the routes always seemed questionable. The very last time I tried it it sent me down a road in WV highway 60 (Midland Trail) through Gauly Bridge. I would have never chosen that route. I thought I researched it thoroughly. I was wrong. I was set up for length with toad, height and weight! It was questionable with a PuP and SUV let alone a 37ft class A towing a car! I stopped using that app immediately. I just use Apple Maps for now. I will be purchasing a new Garmin RV GPS soon.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Aside from it being far easier to me to input my route, I just prefer to use GPS app on an iPad (or iPad mini) because it means I get a really big screen which can be very easily seen at just a glance and I can get voice cues in an ear bud even with the music cranked up.

Being able to put the antenna in a better location is great too.

It also means one less device to tote around and keep plugged in. I can use the iPad as my main internet access device and other tasks that a traditional GPS is useless for.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
viajante wrote:
Thanks everyone. It appears Garmin is using another company for updates, which requires charging me again. That really stinks...

What about cell RV map apps? We love google maps as they always have the latest info. Unfortunately, Google does not provide assistance to rv'ers! Used Google one time in Oregon for our motorhome and ended up on a road only wide enough for us! Really hairy.

So anyone out there using a cell app that gives RV map info that they like?

Dave


Updated my Garmin Nuvi 57 LMT today using Garmin Express and had no problems. I'll try our older Nuvi 255 tomorrow.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
viajante wrote:
Thanks everyone. It appears Garmin is using another company for updates, which requires charging me again. That really stinks...

What about cell RV map apps? We love google maps as they always have the latest info. Unfortunately, Google does not provide assistance to rv'ers! Used Google one time in Oregon for our motorhome and ended up on a road only wide enough for us! Really hairy.

So anyone out there using a cell app that gives RV map info that they like?

Dave
Yes I bought a Copilot RV app years ago for $6.99 it allows you to input the ht. of your RV and routes you around propane tunnels. Once down loaded to your cell phone or Ipad it is a standalone GPS, no cell towers needed. It has automatic updates unlike my previous Garmin's. After spending a small fortune on these Garmin GPS's I decided to give this APP a try rather than spending another $400 plus on an new RV specific gps, I would never buy another Garmin.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
I've been using Google Maps on my phone to navigate the country. Normally it shows me 3 different routes to chose from. It's free and reliable. However, I like to check it against a hard map. I use the Motor Carrier's Atlas, which shows me approved trucker routes.


^^^what he said -- why bother with something additional that you've got to buy in the first place, then you've got to upgrade, when google maps on your cell phone is all you need?
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you using the program "Garmin Express" for updates. I have a garmin and no problems "yet". If they are supposed to give you free updates then I would email or call them.

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t know, I have found that CoPilot for RV with their off-line maps is an incredibly powerful GPS with no Internet required. Someone said CoPilot led them down the wrong road! All I know after thousands of miles in all kinds of places it has never led me wrong.

Make sure you get the occasional upgrades and always download the new maps and you will be good. CoPilot makes a GPS for truckers and that is really telling. It is known as one of the best ones out there. As you can imagine truckers must have the right and best in directions and also the amount of time to get there. It’s a route planner and you don’t get much better than that.

My Garmin decided to recalculate just outside Indianapolis, IN putting me someplace I should not have been! With off line maps there is no recalculation or need for internet.

Try it you’ll like it... Hey Mikey!