cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats the best car to tow ??

Ozzie1
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I will be buying our first MH in the very neat future and we have decided that we will need a car to get around in when the RV is parked, But I have read in this forum that there is some question about what you can tow and what you can't. We have looked at an MH with Blue OX equipment fitted, is this the best way to go ???? Thanks for any comments. O.
61 REPLIES 61

HEASON
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2009 Saturn Vue equipped with a Blue Ox hitch. We use the Saturn to drive around town and make short trips. It is a great car for towing and easy to hook up with the BO hitch. I put a switch in the fuse line to cut the fuse off and that is a real asset to a quick hook-up. A word of caution, Be sure the hitch pens are installed correctly. Read the directions carefully and enjoy. I would test drive several vehicles before making a decision if you plan to use as a second car.

JV_RV
Explorer
Explorer
What about a Mini Cooper? My wife is in love with that car and I need a car to tow so I thought I could kill two birds......

nemo45
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Two different thoughts....ease of TOWING....Jeep, Equinox, Saturn, Geo Trackers, even the Suzuki Samurai....however, if you want to open Pandora's box, talk about which TOWED Vehicle provides the BEST and most COMFORTABLE ride! Add to that which one(s) have the most INTERIOR room....good luck....:B:B....Dennis

Well, then if you're talking about room and ride you're going to have to add the GMC Acadia, Chevy Traverse and the Buick Enclave all towable 4 down.
Don Niemeyer
2006 Gulf Stream Tour Master T40A
2011 Chevy Equinox LT1 Toad

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Honda Fit or CRV and I suggest a Roadmaster Tow Bar, I'm on my 15th year using my Roadmaster Tow Bar there very strong and durable!

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two different thoughts....ease of TOWING....Jeep, Equinox, Saturn, Geo Trackers, even the Suzuki Samurai....however, if you want to open Pandora's box, talk about which TOWED Vehicle provides the BEST and most COMFORTABLE ride! Add to that which one(s) have the most INTERIOR room....good luck....:B:B....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
follow this THREAD - i just answered a bunch of question about flat towing a jeep, including part numbers & pictures

LINK HERE
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

nemo45
Explorer
Explorer
Yellowboat. wrote:
nemo45 wrote:
Yellowboat. wrote:
A Saturn Vue can be towed as is. GM doesn't make the Vue anymore. The last Vue’s were built in 2009/2010. They do make a Chevy Captiva that is mostly the same car. One difference between the Vue and the Captiva is you pull a different fuse when you tow the car. You can't buy a Captiva new as it is only sold to Rental Company’s but used Captiva’s are now on the market.

Whatever car you tow you will need to decide on a braking system.

Safe travels.

JD

Captiva is not the same car as the view. It is much smaller. The same car as the view is the Equinox and the GMC Terrain. Both great toads.

The 2007 through 2010 Saturn Vue and Chevy Captiva are the same size cars. Prior to 2007 the Saturn Vue was a larger car. In 2007 Chevy took over production of the Saturn Vue and they downsized the Vue.

Here is a LINK.

Look at the picture of the second generation Saturn Vue and then compare it to the Chevy Captiva.

Info from link:

Following the demise of the Saturn brand in 2009 for the 2010 model year, the Vue was discontinued. However, GM continued to produce the Chevrolet Captiva Sport, for the Mexican and South American markets. The Chevrolet Captiva Sport was introduced for the US commercial and fleet markets in late 2011 for the 2012 model year.

Safe travels.

JD

The Equinox, Terrain, Vue and Captiva were-are on the same GM theta platform, which was beefed up a little in 2009. They had the same power train and unibody frame when they were manufactured at the same time. When I bought a trailer hitch for my 2011 Equinox it stated right on the box that it would fit a 2009-10 Saturn Vue.
Don Niemeyer

Roger_in_VERMON
Explorer
Explorer
Wrangler for the past 12 years. So easy to attach and go.
🙂 2001 41' Holiday Rambler Imperial
2004 Jeep Wrangler
Weekenders and Loving it!

Yellowboat_
Explorer
Explorer
nemo45 wrote:
Yellowboat. wrote:
A Saturn Vue can be towed as is. GM doesn't make the Vue anymore. The last Vue’s were built in 2009/2010. They do make a Chevy Captiva that is mostly the same car. One difference between the Vue and the Captiva is you pull a different fuse when you tow the car. You can't buy a Captiva new as it is only sold to Rental Company’s but used Captiva’s are now on the market.

Safe travels.

JD

Captiva is not the same car as the view. It is much smaller. The same car as the view is the Equinox and the GMC Terrain. Both great toads.

The 2007 through 2010 Saturn Vue and Chevy Captiva are the same size cars. Prior to 2007 the Saturn Vue was a larger car. In 2007 Chevy took over production of the Saturn Vue and they downsized the Vue.

Here is a LINK.

Look at the picture of the second generation Saturn Vue and then compare it to the Chevy Captiva.

Info from link:

Following the demise of the Saturn brand in 2009 for the 2010 model year, the Vue was discontinued. However, GM continued to produce the Chevrolet Captiva Sport, for the Mexican and South American markets. The Chevrolet Captiva Sport was introduced for the US commercial and fleet markets in late 2011 for the 2012 model year.

Safe travels.

JD
2016 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on a 2016 Ford F53 Chassis
2009 Saturn VUE
Buddy our Bichon Frise
JD & Kathy

nemo45
Explorer
Explorer
Yellowboat. wrote:

Safe travels.

JD

Don Niemeyer

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
We tow one of two Jeep Grand Cherokee suv.

They are a relatively easy set up to tow, but the 2005 through 2010 have an electronic neutral switch that has failed on multiple jeeps.

I would avoid those years.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
The one you pick because you might not like my Prius and I'm keeping it so I will be mad if you tow it.

JNW57
Explorer
Explorer
After towing a GEO Tracker for 6 yrs and a CHEVY Tracker for almost 12 yrs , a TRACKER is my answer.
2003 DISCOVERY 39L QUAD SLIDE
2014 HONDA CRV EX-L FWD
BLUE OX ALADDIN, M&G AIR BRAKE, KAR GUARD

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
The "best tow car" is the one that you want to use as a daily driver. Why have another car just to tow on trips?

kjburns
Explorer
Explorer
This is one of those questions with no correct answer. I've towed a Cherokee and a couple of Grand Cherokees. All were easy to set for towing. Now I tow a Fiesta ST on a dolly. The dolly is less convenient, but the car is a blast to drive.

Fiestas are all flat towable except the ST. Towing four down is more convenient, but it isn't the only factor. If you prefer a car that's not towable, a dolly might work for you. It beats towing something you don't want to drive.
2019 Dynamax Isata3 24FW