cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where to get water when boondocking

lucytravel12
Explorer
Explorer
We're travelling for a couple of weeks in the Northeast states, and most of the campgrounds are closed so we're boondocking at Cabella's. They have dump stations, but not fresh water. Where do you find water when boondocking?
2004 Pleasure-Way Plateau TD
1987 Intervec Falcon

"Rockin" Retirement
16 REPLIES 16

B-ing
Explorer
Explorer
We always buy our drinking water in three one gallon jugs at the grocery store. Cost is ~$1 each. I'd buy more of these these jugs and refill them someplace when you you know the water is potable. It's not the most convenient but worth it to have some water. I wouldn't use just any business water hose to fill up my system. It could contaminate it for later.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Don't get water at car washes as I understand they recycle their water. I know that hear in Washington, road side rests often have dumps and some also have water. It they don't have potable water, there will be a sign.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
I have always carried a couple of containers like this and filled them when I filled the tank. If you are boondocking in the same place for several days, two of these is 14 gallons and that is about half of the water capacity of many B water tanks.

https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Products-Aqua-Tainer-Gallon-Container/dp/B001QC31G6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1478050631&sr=8-2&keywords=reliance+water+containers

I also constructed a little submersible 12 volt pump from a small marine bilge pump with a 20 foot cord and two alligator clips and a short five foot hose. I clip to the batteries and pump up into the rig's tank. I carry my plastic cans in the shower area in transit and set them outside when I get to my campsite. This is not a direct answer to your OP question, but it sure lengthens the stay a bunch. When we had the Roadtrek we just placed them in the aisle at the back until we got settled.
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

redwingfans
Explorer
Explorer
State Parks are a good source. Pay a day use fee, you get water, dump and a shower. Most also have day activities, trails, water front picnic area.
Mark and Linda
2013 Pleasure Way Excel

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
When traveling, I usually stop every 2 to 3 weeks at a full hookup RV park/campground for 1 or 2 nights to take care of . . . well you know the drill by now! I ALWAYS keep my eye out for free dump stations/water supply, etc. When in unfamiliar areas, talk to others when you see them parked in their RV's. Most are very helpful in finding free/low cost services. Other posters have previously stated some good options for you. Google is your friend if you have internet access on the road.

Chum lee

sprintstream
Explorer
Explorer
Another idea is RV dealers, if open. They want to be friendly. Some let you dump too.
Was living the dream in the Ozarks
Now just living

lucytravel12
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks - I'll be on the road for another 2 weeks and will give all your suggestions a try!
1987 Intervec Falcon

"Rockin" Retirement

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Convenience store/Quick-stop gas station that sells food, chips, etc.

lucytravel12
Explorer
Explorer
What's C-store?
1987 Intervec Falcon

"Rockin" Retirement

Mmwtdh
Explorer
Explorer
We just sweet talk the C-store people and spend some money and they never say no...

lc0338
Explorer
Explorer
Rest Stops

Gas stations

Propane stations

National Parks

lucytravel12
Explorer
Explorer
Great ideas - thanks! We ended up going to Home Depot tonight and they had a hose at the Garden Center they let us use. Who would have thought all the campgrounds would close right during the peak Fall leaf season!
1987 Intervec Falcon

"Rockin" Retirement

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
when we stop at cracker barrel. for the night, I,ve asked the manager if I could pay for some water from there outside hose, always been ok,and never charged, we use this for showers,and the toilet.we bring drinking water from home or buy it.even a police station ,or some thing in that order.