cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to go for Memorial Weekend (northeast US)?

tev123
Explorer
Explorer
3 day weekend coming up and good opportunity for our first real sleep-over trip in the camper to work out the kinks, to do's, not-to dos, etc.

I am in south NH and would like to hear some ideas of where to go for a 2 or 3 night getaway for two in late 40's.

Being Memorial Weekend I can only imagine that campgrounds will be packed and crazy, though I prefer camping in the boonies anyways. (I've only been to campgrounds doing car camping/tent and never with a real camper)

What are your top 3 picks/recommendations that are within a max of 5-6 hour drive from southern NH?

Some ideas I have (tell me if I should avoid):

- Acadia Nat Park (Maine)
- Montreal
- coastal drive staying in different spots up NH/Maine coast
- Cape Cod

Ideas? suggestions? stay away from?

Thanks!
- Tony

1990 Ford E250 Intervec Falcon @midvancrisis
_
14 REPLIES 14

401nailhead
Explorer
Explorer
These are generalities, not specific to your area, but things to research, and of course several have already commented on these.

Any chance you are retired military? You will want to check Federal lands, including Forest Service even in the east, and definitely military lands if you are retired military. They have some options, I have heard. National Parks are more likely than other Fed lands to have only the specific camp sites. Once out west as people are saying, there are more choices for finding Federal open space without set campgrounds.

Just in case you do want to break down and try state parks, many state park are now on reservation systems where they tell you the sites and dates, and you can reserve specific sites online in advance. I know you said that is not your goal, but it beats pulling in at 8 pm wondering if anything is available.

If you really like that approach you mentioned, do some research and find hunting clubs, fishing clubs, other outdoors clubs, or even consider putting an ad out yourself to find a willing land owner. You know the problem in today's world though - fear of litigation. Don't forget counties. While I know of county campgrounds, I do not know of county wild lands, but it gives you something to research.

Good Luck, and report back!

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
tev123 - I'm also in NH. You can boondock for free in many Western states, but here in the crowded East with limited public lands and a multitude of people looking to enjoy it, it is VERY difficult to find a gravel road in the White Mountain National Forest that allows roadside camping not in a campground. It is my understanding that there are more options in Vermont in the Green Mountain National Forest, but I have not tried it there. State land (parks or forests) in NH only allow camping in designated campgrounds. Much of the open space in Maine is in fact privately owned, often by timber companies, and the do not allow such use. You can contact the headquarters for either WMNF or GMNF and inquire about dispersed roadside camping (there are a few areas in NH) locations. Good luck!
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a Speedway, IN native and grew up in the shadow of the track and have been going to the race since the 1950s. I know my way around and have my tickets in hand. This is the 100th race. I was also at the 50th. There is no experience like it.
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
"Is this possible in the USA?"

Alaska and the Western States in the US. Some national parks. Check the Truck Camper's forum. They have good results escaping to places the rest of us with 10 wheels can't get to.

tev123
Explorer
Explorer
I think I may not have specified my desires clearly;
The reason I am getting into conversion vans/class-B is to get AWAY from the mayhem and craziness and to have the freedom to go enjoy and sleep in places wherever I please, as long as it is not private property of course. The last thing I am looking for is to reserve things or book things - for that, I get on an airplane/car and go to a hotel, and plan ahead.

Maybe I am asking in the wrong forum? or maybe my idea of initial tastings of van-life differ from reality here in the north east.

So, here is what I picture:
- I drive off towards a large unpopulated area that has some interesting natural features (ie. lake, mountain, ocean)
- as I get near the area it turns more and more rural, eventually becoming just dirt roads in the middle of nowhere
- I may see people here and there every once in a while. that is ok.
- I see a lake in the distance, or a mountain, and I get closer to it, then decide to park off road, take out my chair, my hammock, sit out and relax. Unbothered.

Is this possible in the USA? without having to book things? or pay fees? or the likes?
eg. akin to Into The Wild....
- Tony

_

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Davydd wrote:
...I am in Indianapolis for the Indy 500 race. It is sold out as is every hotel room and campground in central Indiana. There will be over 350,000 people at that race.

That is way to funny! I'm 61 years old and never been to the Indy 500, and I live less than 1 hour away from Speedway. Every year, since I can remember, I've gotten as far away from Indianapolis as possible over Memorial Day week-end. It's absolutely insane, beginning on Thursday (today) and will progressively get worse and worse. Traffic, down-town Indy area, and all the surrounding roads, business, and ... did I mention traffic! Oh my!

The (very) few times I've had to deal with Indy over this week-end, it's been a real lesson in patients. I don't envy anyone going there.

By the way, the local news announced that Speedway is 100% sold out this year, so the race will be broad cast LIVE this time!

I'll be in Northern Indiana camping. The State Park we're at is 100% booked also. We were fortunate to get a cancellation, and jumped in and got a spot on Monday this week.

I don't envy you at all there, Davydd coming to our direction. But definitely, this is not for me!

And oh... by the way, the news media has sent out a strong warning to arrive very early, and they gave tips which gates to avoid because of the long lines. And if you don't already have a parking pass, you won't be able to park (anywhere). So hope you've got figured out too! Of course the news media is also warning about knock-off counterfeit parking tickets. You don't want to buy one off the street. If you do, you've just lost your money and still will not get a parking spot. Evidently, they are 100% sold out too!

All I can say is, "Good luck with all the crazies!" I'll be relaxing a bit farther North!

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
Every state park campground is booked and reserved in Minnesota for Memorial Day weekend. I would imagine that is normal just about everywhere.

I am in Indianapolis for the Indy 500 race. It is sold out as is every hotel room and campground in central Indiana. There will be over 350,000 people at that race.
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

yrusoslo
Explorer
Explorer
Nice quiet holiday in Indian Lake, NY

Greydennyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
Lake George- Saratoga Springs, NY
Denny, Rosie and Josie the Beagle
2016 Allegro 36 LA
2016 Mazda 3

mkguitar
Explorer
Explorer
we try to do our stuff during low demand periods too.

we generally have the freedom to go mid week.

long weekends can be the perfect time to go to home depot- the store is empty!

mike

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
It may not be as bad in Maine but the traffic in California is so bad we made the decision several years ago to never travel during a holiday weekend.

A trip of less than 100 miles can take up to 7 hours if there are accidents along the way.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Finding a spot this close to Memorial Day weekend will be pretty slim to none.

Considering you are in Maine, if you head "North" you may be better off. I don't think Canada honors a "Memorial Day" like the US does, and I just can't imagine the same zeal to go camping for THIS 3 day week end like in the US. Crowds may be much less.

See what's happening in Canada?

tev123
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
All the places you've mentioned would be great, but the reality is, they may be booked. We enjoy camping the most in the off-season, but because we both work, like to take advantage of the long weekends. We learned long ago to make Memorial Day weekend plans early....like February or March. You might want to call around to a few places and see what may be available. Have fun!

Thanks JFKMK;

I guess my inclination is to go to places that don't require any "booking" or being on someone's land. I prefer the national parks or public lands; I just want to enjoy nature (lake, ocean, mountain), or some city, without the need to pay anyone (I already pay plenty of taxes). I realize this puts me out of any private land that is used as campgrounds, but that is fine.

Thanks again
- Tony

_

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
All the places you've mentioned would be great, but the reality is, they may be booked. We enjoy camping the most in the off-season, but because we both work, like to take advantage of the long weekends. We learned long ago to make Memorial Day weekend plans early....like February or March. You might want to call around to a few places and see what may be available. Have fun!