cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Worn suspension

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Today someone told me the suspension on our old RV might need work. I was surprised because normally in a car when the suspension is going the ride really changes and there are noises. I had the RV on the road just yesterday and didnโ€™t notice any problems. But it does have over 54,000 miles on it. I also donโ€™t see any uneven tire wear or noticeable sagging. The guy said the right side is lower but I really could not tell. Is it common to need new leaf springs?
I had the rear brakes fixed last year at a truck shop and they didnโ€™t mention a problem with the suspension. How can I tell if itโ€™s really a problem?
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021
14 REPLIES 14

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Well sorry this was the 2003 Itasca. I think I was getting bad info. Just didnโ€™t want to sell it without total honesty. So I told the buyer new shocks were possibly needed. I didnโ€™t mention any other suspension work. Iโ€™ll probably find out as the lady who bought it is a neighbor and very nice. Thanks for all the good suggestions.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Booner wrote:
I'll disagree with some of the posters here.

54,000 miles on factory shocks when your running your unit at maximum weight levels, Ya, it could be time for a change. They don't put premium shocks on these thing when they come from the factory. I'm guessing you can buy heavy duty shocks for around $100 each. While your doing this, change out your steering stabilizer too.

Change out your steering stabilizer, why? At 54,000 miles? Why. Shocks will improve side roll. Steering stabilizer?

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
EMD360 wrote:
Today someone told me the suspension on our old RV might need work. I was surprised because normally in a car when the suspension is going the ride really changes and there are noises. I had the RV on the road just yesterday and didnโ€™t notice any problems. But it does have over 54,000 miles on it. I also donโ€™t see any uneven tire wear or noticeable sagging. The guy said the right side is lower but I really could not tell. Is it common to need new leaf springs?
I had the rear brakes fixed last year at a truck shop and they didnโ€™t mention a problem with the suspension. How can I tell if itโ€™s really a problem?

Oh for Gods sake, IMO, you are being scammed. In your initiaL post you mention no problems. But now, after a "professional inspection" you have some. . . . . . . . FACTS! Your 2018 RV IS NOT OLD! 54,000 miles is NOT a lot of miles. Fix the problems you have. Ignore the ones you don't. Drive on.

Chum lee

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
I certainly didnโ€™t see cracking in the leaf springs nor could I tell it was sagging. Had someone follow me in a car and could not see a problem nor feel a problem while I was driving. I sold the RV and mentioned that it might need new shocks due to 50,000 miles. We never upgraded the suspension. The factory shocks and steering stabilizers worked just fine for us. I thought because it was a short RV but our new 26โ€™ Minnie is just as stable on the highway. But Iโ€™d like it to be a little higher. I can hardly get underneath it especially under the battery compartment in the steps.

Booner
Explorer
Explorer
I'll disagree with some of the posters here.

54,000 miles on factory shocks when your running your unit at maximum weight levels, Ya, it could be time for a change. They don't put premium shocks on these thing when they come from the factory. I'm guessing you can buy heavy duty shocks for around $100 each. While your doing this, change out your steering stabilizer too.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
^That really makes no sense if youโ€™re almost overloaded with just tanks full.

Check out your springs. And as said above, you may just be worrying about nothing. But you wonโ€™t know unless you check.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s been raining so I havenโ€™t gotten under it. The answer to living at full axle weight is probably. Itโ€™s been years since I weight it fully loaded. But my specs say if all the tanks are full I have 239 lbs carrying capacity. Thatโ€™s maybe one adult and a kid. As I recall I wasnโ€™t over on my four corners weight fully loaded except for passengers. I just stopped worrying about it. Maybe it will show up in a suspension issue. Iโ€™m going to check it out.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you cant see where its sagging then how much could it really be sagging ?
I would get a second then third opinion from mechanics who can actually look it at and who know what they are looking at.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want to do something, new shocks might be in order, but it seems you were happy before this unsolicited โ€œadviceโ€ and having no issues.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Good luck checking all 4 corners. To many cargo things affect that, even fuel, water, and waste tanks. 54,000 is nothing.

Gary45
Explorer
Explorer
You can visually inspect the leaf springs, normally one or two leafs can crack/break and you will not feel anything.

EYEMLOST
Explorer
Explorer
EMD360 wrote:

Are the shocks factory originals?

Does the RV's rear live at maximum axle weight all the time?
1998 FWC Grandby
1994 Ford Bronco 5.0 XL 4X4
Sky's ORD 6" Lift / Sterling 10.25 Dually 5.13 Gear Detroit Locker / '99.5 Front F-350 Leaf Springs at Rear / HMMWVtires

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
To see if one side is sagging park the MH in a flat parking lot and measure the ride height front and back at the 4 corners, compare those measurements to what the chassis manual says. Is your front end IFS or straight axle?

tobydad
Explorer
Explorer
The key word in your 1st sentence is "might". If you have not experienced any noticeable change, then there probably isn't any. You can always use a tape measure on each rear corner to the ground to determine any sagging. If you have air bags in the rear suspension, then check for leaks or check that the pressure is equal in each air bag.