cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route Suggestions from Northern AZ to the Olympic Peninsula

RMathis61
Explorer II
Explorer II

My husband and I will be towing our 37 foot fifth-wheel in September 2024 from our home outside of Flagstaff, AZ to the Salt Creek Recreation Area outside of Port Angeles. Looking for route guidance and would prefer to avoid long, desolate stretches as my husband has some health challenges and heaven forbid we have a flat tire or mechanical issues. Thanks for any help.

7 REPLIES 7

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II

Describe your definition of "long, desolate"...  it really does make a difference in the answers.  Does getting off an Interstate qualify, or? 

There are a hundred ways to see some great sites along that route.  Is time an issue?  Is anywhere that has decent cell service acceptable? 

'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

We have travelled a lot pulling our fifth-wheel over 20 plus years and have ventured over several types of scenic highways and two lane byways. With my husbandโ€™s health issues, I am just trying to avoid roads where we may not see another vehicle for ages. The main point of this trip is to get over to the Olympic Peninsula where we will spend 10 days. Weโ€™re allowing ourselves 4 days to get to the PNW from our home in Northern AZ. We have visited CA, OR, ID and parts of WA before so sight-seeing along the way on this trip isnโ€™t that important. 

Got it...  given the choice, we'll always bag out of the CA route.  It's a slog.  Straight up 15 to 84.  It's smooth, enough traffic and people but still moves decently and nothing desolate.  For a nicer drive, I'd break off to 82 and 90, but you could cut into Portland and up 5...a bit shorter.  Enjoy.  Personally, can't stand freeways.

'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Right now the plan is to take I-40 over to Vegas (we have family there) and then 93 north out of Vegas up to Twin Falls and I-84 and westward. I think we will also be on 90 if I remember my routing directions. I will look at 82 as well, thank you for the advice.

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III

Sounds like you do not want to be too far from a town or services.

I-40 west to Barstow.  CA 158 to Bakersfield.  I-5 north.

There are services every 10-15 miles all the way up I-5.  

I-40 has a couple stretches of 60 miles or so between services.

US 395 through California or US 95 through Nevada has some remote stretches.     

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Thank you! Definitely a route to consider.

JDsdogs
Nomad II
Nomad II

Most states out west have areas of little population , Nevada, Colorado, Idaho and the east side of both WA and OR have long stretches unpopulated areas.  From where you  are, my best guess is that heading west to LA and heading north along the I-5 corridor would be your best bet for staying reasonably close to medical care and big rig repair. Good luck.