cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Alternate recipes for Weber Q?

sjturbo
Explorer
Explorer
I love my Weber Q (1200 size). Burgers, steak, corn, ect. turn out great. But I am looking to be a bit more adventurous and hoped some other Q owners had some suggestions? Anyone tried low and slow with one? Thanks!
23 REPLIES 23

Shavano
Explorer
Explorer
Keep it on topic folks.

'15 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
'18 Forest River Avenger :C "Dolci"
Kipor KGE3500Ti

CHECK OUT THE RV.NET BLOGS!!

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
IAMICHABOD wrote:
It is really sad that same people always seem to hijack threads.

That being said,I love my Weber Q 220 and have done a lot of cooking on it in various ways. Like using using One of these I find that if you have something that has a marinade or sauce on it this will keep it from dripping away and make your food juicy and moist and you still get grill marks if you want them. Works great.

To slow some things down,like baking a chicken I take a throw away alum pan and make a rope of tin foil and snake it in the bottom then put another pan on top of that,season my chicken add some white wine and a veggie or two then crank up the grill with the lid closed until it hits about 400 degrees and put the chicken in,close the lid and wait about 20 min. then open it to see if the skin has browned,then turn it all the way down,close lid and let it bake until it reaches the correct temp on my remote thermometer. This makes a juicy and moist chicken.

sjturbo wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions! My 1200 is a bit smaller but the baking idea with the rope and wine sounds very interesting! The tin foil pans come indifferent sizes so that also may get some experimentation! Thanks again!!

One advantage to this is you can carry fewer appliances in your rig. Your OP is a good jumping off point for turning the WeberQ into a multi-tasker. Good topic.

If you have the budget you can make a terrific beef loin. All you need is the foil pan (no aluminum rope necessary); butter; your favorite steak seasoning.
Butter in the pan. Seasoned loin on top. Cook to preferred finish turning every 15 minutes (I use a meat thermometer in the thickest part for inner temp).
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well apparently my first apology was not enough for some of you.

So please consider this: This thread as I read it was about COOKING and RECIPES on the Weber Q/

MY post addressed COOKING and WHAT COULD NOT be cooked well in my opinion on the Weber grill. I see that as completely within the parameters of the original post.

I do not consider that hijacking a thread. If I had written about how the Coleman was a much better grill...that would be hijacking in my estimation.

I was not aware that the OP had such a narrow view of his subject.

Sometimes when a thread takes on a SLIGHTLY different angle on the original topic you actually get some interesting information.

But again my apologies to those who feel offended or threatened by my post and/or my opinion about the Weber Q.

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Multiple burners is a must if you wanna cook slow and low. The Q is just an overpriced propane grill that cooks burgers and dogs, so what.

Untill it gets clogged with grease and wont light. Its not even made of stainless at the price they sell them for, stand is extra too.

I didnt buy into the Q hype....
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

sjturbo
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:

That being said,I love my Weber Q 220 and have done a lot of cooking on it in various ways. Like using using One of these I find that if you have something that has a marinade or sauce on it this will keep it from dripping away and make your food juicy and moist and you still get grill marks if you want them. Works great.

To slow some things down,like baking a chicken I take a throw away alum pan and make a rope of tin foil and snake it in the bottom then put another pan on top of that,season my chicken add some white wine and a veggie or two then crank up the grill with the lid closed until it hits about 400 degrees and put the chicken in,close the lid and wait about 20 min. then open it to see if the skin has browned,then turn it all the way down,close lid and let it bake until it reaches the correct temp on my remote thermometer.

Thanks for the suggestions! My 1200 is a bit smaller but the baking idea with the rope and wine sounds very interesting! The tin foil pans come indifferent sizes so that also may get some experimentation! Thanks again!!
This makes a juicy and moist chicken.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
sjturbo wrote:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion! The crux of my inquiry was to get other recipe ideas from those who have been successful with their Q. I was not soliciting opinions regarding the quality, fit or purposing of the Q. Although I believe that everyone has an opinion I think the responses should focus on the original posted inquiry. As a member of various forums RV as well as other types. I always wondered why people stray from the original post. And, this is just my opinion.

Well said.:w
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II

To slow some things down,like baking a chicken I take a throw away alum pan and make a rope of tin foil and snake it in the bottom then put another pan on top of that,season my chicken add some white wine and a veggie or two then crank up the grill with the lid closed until it hits about 400 degrees and put the chicken in,close the lid and wait about 20 min. then open it to see if the skin has browned,then turn it all the way down,close lid and let it bake until it reaches the correct temp on my remote thermometer.

This makes a juicy and moist chicken.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

sjturbo
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone is entitled to their opinion! The crux of my inquiry was to get other recipe ideas from those who have been successful with their Q. I was not soliciting opinions regarding the quality, fit or purposing of the Q. Although I believe that everyone has an opinion I think the responses should focus on the original posted inquiry. As a member of various forums RV as well as other types. I always wondered why people stray from the original post. And, this is just my opinion.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
magnusfide wrote:
4X4Dodger wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
Dodger, you just have to think outside the box or have someone do it for you. It wouldn't be that hard to make some heat shields for half the cooking surface.

Well sometimes when you think outside the box, like your suggestion, you simply find yourself outside of the box.

Using a heat shield Will not result in the same cooking state as it does not lower the temp. a Shieled will just radiate much of the heat just protect it from the flame.

In indirect cooking especially of meats you want a lower temp for longer periods and of course you do not want heat of any kind radiating up directly on the food. This is the whole point of indirect cooking.

By shutting off half the burners you decrease the heat by a factor of from 50% to something else depending on how high you keep the other burners...You suggestion does not allow for this.

ME thinking outside the box is not the problem...the problem is Weber did not think outside the box.

Instead of complaining and hijacking someone else's thread, why not just go ahead and make the suggested modifications to take your preferred unit along? No one MADE you buy a Weber instead of following through on the modifications as you mentioned. We all understand you don't like the Weber so just sell it and take your other unit with you.

sjturbo wrote:
I love my Weber Q (1200 size). Burgers, steak, corn, ect. turn out great. But I am looking to be a bit more adventurous and hoped some other Q owners had some suggestions? Anyone tried low and slow with one? Thanks!

SH, we enjoy our Weber too. Hopefully our suggestions for adapting recipes will be of use to you.

I dont think I was the one who "hijacked" anything. I simply added a point of view about the weber and it's ability to cook some things...thus limiting the recipes you CAN cook on it.

I think what really bothers you is that I am just not a cheerleader for the weber. It's a great Grill...as far as it goes...but it is limited.

My apologies if that sentiment makes you feel I have somehow hijacked this thread.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
4X4Dodger wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
Dodger, you just have to think outside the box or have someone do it for you. It wouldn't be that hard to make some heat shields for half the cooking surface.

Well sometimes when you think outside the box, like your suggestion, you simply find yourself outside of the box.

Using a heat shield Will not result in the same cooking state as it does not lower the temp. a Shieled will just radiate much of the heat just protect it from the flame.

In indirect cooking especially of meats you want a lower temp for longer periods and of course you do not want heat of any kind radiating up directly on the food. This is the whole point of indirect cooking.

By shutting off half the burners you decrease the heat by a factor of from 50% to something else depending on how high you keep the other burners...You suggestion does not allow for this.

ME thinking outside the box is not the problem...the problem is Weber did not think outside the box.

Instead of complaining and hijacking someone else's thread, why not just go ahead and make the suggested modifications to take your preferred unit along? No one MADE you buy a Weber instead of following through on the modifications as you mentioned. We all understand you don't like the Weber so just sell it and take your other unit with you.

sjturbo wrote:

SH, we enjoy our Weber too. Hopefully our suggestions for adapting recipes will be of use to you.

Magnus

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super_Dave wrote:

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
I think the Webers are the best PORTABLE grill I've seen. I love my 3 burner at the s&b, but sure wouldn't want to lug it around for my camping trips. Many times when cooking multiple items I employ the original outdoor grill, the campfire, along with my Weber.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
sjturbo wrote:
Thanks for the varied inputs. It is true that you should not expect it to cook a three course meal but it does what it does very well. I was just looking for some "real world" ideas. I guess I should take Super Dave's advice and think outside the box and inside the Q.

SuperD is right about bricks or pizza stone. Another option for heat motigation is a cast iron griddle. We have both a rectangular and a square Lodge cast iron griddles that travel with us full time and are great multitasker.

The square fits well on our Weber Q 2200.

Magnus

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We've owned one before....

It's a grill...whatever you can do on it, you can do on other grills and vice versa... just gotta remember if you try to do extended cooking to not use the small green propane tanks. The grill is nothing spectacular, besides being well built.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L