cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Sausage Gravy

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
So now that you have all helped with my biscuit problem, anyone have a good sausage grave recipe or even which canned you like best. We use to get a brand that came in a #10 can that was really good but it was for groups and we don't have room for that much gravy.
Thanks in advance.
24 REPLIES 24

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Although the above sound OK, they don't compare with this:

ยฝ lb sausage
2 cup milk
3 tbs flour
salt & pepper to taste
ยฝ tsp onion powder
1 Granny Smith Apple
2 tbs butter

peel, core and cut apple to 1/4โ€ cubes
fry in 2 tbs butter until brown & remove from pan
Fry sausage and when done add 3 tb flour. Cook about 2 min
Add milk and keep mixing with whisk until thickened.
Add apple and seasoning

We put over Grands biscuits. ALWAYS our first breakfast on the road as it can be prepared ahead of time and heated quickly on the road.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Merrykalia wrote:
Fry a couple of patties of sausage, remove the sausage and add enough oil to make 1 TBL of oil.
Add 1 TBL of flour and stir with medium heat until the flour begins to brown.

Add salt and pepper, then add 1 cup of milk (I use canned cream) and stir well. Raise heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly to keep from burning. Add sausage back into the gravy and add more milk if needed to thin. If it's still thin, cook a bit longer.

That should make enough gravy for 2 people or 1 hungry person.

This is close to how I make it with some important differences in method. Here's my method:

To prevent lumps, I add the milk slowly as in only 1/4 cup at a time. I let the added milk heat a few seconds on the bottom of the cast iron skillet and then whisk-blend it into the flour to make the roux. I never use cream.

Once all of the milk is blended with the flour I add fresh cracked pepper (coarsely ground) and kosher salt.

I also use a low-medium to medium heat, never use high heat. With cast iron it will come to a bubbling simmer which is what you want. Stir frequently and when it starts to thicken turn off the heat. The cast iron skillet will hold enough heat to bring it the rest of the way.

This is also the same bechamel sauce/white gravy that's used in SOS (chipped beef on toast).
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Fry a couple of patties of sausage, remove the sausage and add enough oil to make 1 TBL of oil. Add 1 TBL of flour and stir with medium heat until the flour begins to brown. Add salt and pepper, then add 1 cup of milk (I use canned cream) and stir well. Raise heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly to keep from burning. Add sausage back into the gravy and add more milk if needed to thin. If it's still thin, cook a bit longer.

That should make enough gravy for 2 people or 1 hungry person.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
Canned gravy? Are you kidding?

No gravy shaming. ?? Lol
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Canned gravy? Are you kidding?

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
My employer limits me to helping campers with biscuits only.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
South Eastern Mills makes a country gravy mix, pepper gravy mix and biscuit gravy mix. Sometimes available at Walmart. Mix some breakfast sausage or bacon in and enjoy.
gravy mixes

I buy it by the case.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
The packets of sausage gravy mis work very well for the tow of us. Just about enough for a filling serving, and no leftovers. We usually crumble and fry a bit of regular sausage first, then fix the gravy package. The sausage gravy has a bit more flavor than the plain white gravy.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I do a combination of Pioneer White Gravy mix and gravy made with my sausage drippings, just a simple bechemel sauce.

P.S. Pioneer also makes a Pepper gravy if you like it a little more spicy.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like to mix hamburger with sausage. I sprinkle Wondra Gravy Flour, then brown, then add a C or so of milk. Salt and pepper to taste.

If youโ€™ve never used Wondra, itโ€™s great stuff. It will not clump. Sauce or gravy too thin?
Sprinkle a T or so on and stir.

A terrific cheat is to brown the meat and open a jar of Ragu Alfredo sauce (there is a light version) and thin it to suit you.

We like some Cayenne or Tonyโ€™s too.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.