cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning a Dutch Oven.

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, i was wondering what the best way to clean the outside of a C/I Dutch Oven, after it has come out of the fire. Does it need to go in a bag or something to keep the soot at bay? Scrape it with sand?
I have only used mine with briquettes, so they don't get too bad. I have had kettles come off the fire that have been black with soot & hard to clean up. Thanks, Gary
8 REPLIES 8

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
I don't intentionally use soap, but if some is on a rag, I don't freak out or anything 🙂
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I guess the easiest way would be to use a scrubbing pad, but it think it would still leave a certain amount of residue? I can see where getting a bag to store it in would also help to keep other things cleaner

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
I use a brass wool pad and the outside shower. Dry with a paper towel and then I wipe it down with olive oil. I never use soap.

Lodge Cast Iron: use and care
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Kit Carson wrote:
the bear II wrote:
I find some sand and add water to create mud and then use that to clean the outside and the inside. Learned this in the Boy Scouts. Then you wash it with soap and hot water and rinse.

At home I often use a brillo pad on the outside. Learned this from my mom.
You use soap on cast iron??

Nothing wrong with using soap on cast iron. The OP is after all is cleaning the outside.

For the inside, I use vinegar and a scrubby pad, rinse in hot water then heat it a bit and coat with peanut oil

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
I always use a little soap when cleaning my CI although I only use a washrag or plastic scouring brush. Dry thoroughly and coat with a little veg oil.

Found my TT outdoor shower is best used for cleaning dutch ovens and su h.
New to the RV world and loving every minute of it.
2015 Nissan Frontier 4x4 6 cyl
2015 Trail Runner SLE 22

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
GaryKH wrote:
Hi, i was wondering what the best way to clean the outside of a C/I Dutch Oven, after it has come out of the fire. Does it need to go in a bag or something to keep the soot at bay? Scrape it with sand?
I have only used mine with briquettes, so they don't get too bad. I have had kettles come off the fire that have been black with soot & hard to clean up. Thanks, Gary

For heavy soot, I've used a little dish soap to wash then rinsed it very well. Then I re-coat it in oil. Have been doing this for years with no ill effect.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
I find some sand and add water to create mud and then use that to clean the outside and the inside. Learned this in the Boy Scouts. Then you wash it with soap and hot water and rinse.

You use soap on cast iron??
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer