cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dr. Pepper BBQ sauce

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
I read this and had to try it, especially since it called for Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper and I'm a diabetic, but the rest of the recipe blows that to heck. Anyway a great tasting, thin sauce that goes with almost every thing.

1 cup Sweet Baby Ray's regular Sauce
1 cup of Diet Dr. Pepper Cherry soda
1 tbsp brown sugar

slowly simmer till all is blended thoroughly and let cool. That was the recipe I read and it was good. I doubled that and after cool added 1/2 tbsp of bourbon to the mix.
Told no one about my additional secret ingredient and it was an instant success. Now it's a staple around here.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
9 REPLIES 9

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
IDman wrote:
I can see why you are diabetic!

Lol...No kidding, it's full of sugar!!!
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

SwanInWA
Explorer
Explorer
Ole Man Dan wrote:
wildtoad wrote:
Pepsi, Dr. pepper, Coke, RC Cola, all are great additions to BBQ, oven baked turkeys, chicken. I know you have all seen the oven cooking bags, follow the directions for your normal cooking but add the can of soda. Good stuff.

Boiled, Black Coffee is pretty good added to Sweet Baby Rays.
Instead of Brown Sugar I add Black Pepper and a little Cayenne pepper.
Makes a thinner basting/BBQ Sauce that's both spicy and sweet.

That sounds soooo good. I buy a steak rub that has a coffee base and it's my favorite!

Teri (the RV.netter)

Eric (the significant other)

[purple]Angus (the fur-faced kidlet)[/purple]
The B (2008 Pleasure-Way Lexor RL-4)

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

Ole_Man_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Pepsi, Dr. pepper, Coke, RC Cola, all are great additions to BBQ, oven baked turkeys, chicken. I know you have all seen the oven cooking bags, follow the directions for your normal cooking but add the can of soda. Good stuff.

Boiled, Black Coffee is pretty good added to Sweet Baby Rays.
Instead of Brown Sugar I add Black Pepper and a little Cayenne pepper.
Makes a thinner basting/BBQ Sauce that's both spicy and sweet.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Pepsi, Dr. pepper, Coke, RC Cola, all are great additions to BBQ, oven baked turkeys, chicken.

Agreed!

Here's the base recipe I use for cola soda ribs:
epicurious Grilled Spareribs with Cherry Cola wrote:

Grilled Spareribs with Cherry Cola Glaze
Bon Appรฉtit July 2002

Yield
Makes 6 servings

Ingredients

4 12-ounce cans cherry cola (flat)
2 cups cherry jam or preserves
2/3 cup Dijon mustard with horseradish
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons malt vinegar or apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
7 1/4 to 7 1/2 pounds well-trimmed pork spareribs

Preparation

Boil cherry cola in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat until reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 45 minutes. Stir in next 5 ingredients. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until mixture is reduced to 2 1/2 cups, stirring occasionally, about 35 minutes. Transfer glaze to large bowl. (Can be made 1 week ahead. Cover; chill. Bring to room temperature before using.)
Position racks in top and bottom thirds of oven and preheat to 325ยฐF. Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper. Wrap each rib rack tightly in foil, enclosing completely. Divide foil packets between 2 rimmed baking sheets. Bake until ribs are very tender, switching positions of baking sheets halfway through baking, about 2 hours total. Cool ribs slightly in foil. Pour off any fat from foil packets. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Keep covered in foil packets and refrigerate. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before continuing.)
Prepare barbecue (medium-low heat). Cut each rib rack between bones into individual ribs. Set aside 1 cup glaze. Add ribs to bowl with remaining glaze and toss to coat. Grill ribs until brown and glazed, turning to prevent burning, about 5 minutes total. Serve, passing reserved glaze separately.

And here are my notes on how I've changed it around over the years:

My Notes

Made this totally in the oven.Cooked the ribs as suggested but then continued for an additional hour once the ribs were glazed at 375 degrees to crisp the meat a bit. Oh yes and I air dried the uncooked meat for 24 hours in the fridge. Final result? Still tender but a nice chew to it. Used sour cherry preserves as well as a can of black cherries that was languishing in a corner of the pantry. Drained and pulse chopped em in the food processor. Replaced 1 TB of tamari sauce for same amt. of soy. Seemed to give a more rounded flavour. Hehehehe like another I overboiled the soda which became a syrup but hadn't burned it sooo I added more cola to it and brought it back to 1.5 cups :B. I actually think I'll do this again as the syrup developed some interesting caramel notes. Like others I couldn't find Cherry Coke- so I used Dr. Pepper. Since several toddlers were in attendance I lowered the heat of the hot sauce and horseradish to 1/2 the amts in the recipe. Next time I plan to go fult-tilt boogie and kick this ribs up! I will NOT forget this recipe fer sure!

I no longer bother looking for Cherry Coke and just reach for the Dr. Pepper;). Have also made this recipe on the grill but since I can only grill when I camp (living in a high rise has it's disadvantages)I have to be get creative if I want ribs year round.

I know you have all seen the oven cooking bags, follow the directions for your normal cooking but add the can of soda. Good stuff.

Haven't tried the oven bag version yet but will certainly give it a try. I wuvv easy clean up.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
IDman: The sugars, sodas and sauces did not cause my diabetes. It was a pesticide called Agent Orange. And diabetes doesn't mean that I have to live in a bubble.

thanks
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

SwanInWA
Explorer
Explorer
In spite of it's terrible nutrition label, Sweet Baby Ray's original is probably my fave bottled sauce. On those rare occasions when I buy it, it's hard to imagine adding soda pop AND brown sugar. What would you recommend using this on, and how much? Is it more of a marinade?

Teri (the RV.netter)

Eric (the significant other)

[purple]Angus (the fur-faced kidlet)[/purple]
The B (2008 Pleasure-Way Lexor RL-4)

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
I can see why you are diabetic!

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds yummy,
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.