cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have (2) ham bones - now need to make split pea soup. Help!

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Two good sized ham bones with meat and of course fat that will need to be simmered-off, and skimmed off from the top of the water stock, before adding split peas to make soup.

Q: How will I know the ham bones have simmered long enough to flavor the water I add to make stock?

Q: Will the meat fall off the bones by itself from simmering, or will I have to slide the meat off the ham bones after simmering for a while to loosen up the bone from the meat?

Q: Do I cook the split peas separately from the simmering ham bone stock pot? Do I rinse the split peas after cooked when adding to stock pot after cooked? Or, cook the split peas in the simmering ham bone stock toward the end?

Q: What other ingredients go into the recipe?

Thank you!
13 REPLIES 13

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
No need to do them separately. I'm surprised they haven't already been consumed......
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Personal preference. I prefer to cook down the bone, get the meat off the bone, strain it, let it cool down so I can skim the fat off the top. Then I cook the split peas in it. Usually cook the bone down the day before. I also add onion, carrots and celery to the stock. Peppercorns and a bay leaf too.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
There's some great advise here! I'll not boil the ham bones - I'll simmer 'em as advised.

To clarify, do the split peas not need to be prepared - simmered separately? That's where I'm getting conflicting cooking instructions here.....

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
Split pea soup always makes me smile because I can remember Dad making it after he retired. He left all cooking to Mother but Pea Soup was "his" and he worked on it several days besides making a lot of dirty dishes (to hear Mom tell it). Now our son (his only grandson) has picked up the ball, but he makes Ham and Bean Soup.

swtgran
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave, not wrong unless you want to skim the fat off.
Swtgran
2007 Casita 17ft SD
2005 Toyota Tundra

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't know I was doing it wrong all these years. I cook everything together at the same time.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
The hard part is cutting all those peas in half with a razor blade. 🙂

We always use an axe...hence the term "split" pea. 😉
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
The hard part is cutting all those peas in half with a razor blade. 🙂
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
And you don't boil the bones. Should be just a few bubbles a minute.
180 degrees or so. Low simmer.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you can cook it too long if you're making stock. I would cook them until the bones come out pretty clear. Separate as much meat and cartilage as possible and put the stock in the fridge. the fat will gel and separate from the stock. You can pick through the meat and separate it from the cartilage.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

2hams
Explorer
Explorer
You are making it too hard. Here's how I make it.

Cut larger pieces of fat off bones. Combine in large pot: ham bone, pound of split peas, large onion cut up, 3 or 4 peeled carrots cut about 2" long, tsp or so whole peppercorns, couple of bay leaves. Cover with water. Bring to boil, reduce to slow simmer. Stir every 20 or 30 minutes. After an hour or two the peas will turn to a smooth mush and this is when it starts to stick so be careful and stir more often. I take the bone out, let it cool, and cut the meat off. Stir soup and pick out any fat or gristle you can find. Put ham back in soup.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2019 GMC Denali 3500 D/A SRW

swtgran
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to get the fat off. Cook the bone with the meat, until it is falling off. Remove the bone and meat. I strain mine. Pick through the meat and get all the good lean pieces off. Put the broth some place cold overnight. I use my back porch this time of the year.

Next morning, peel the fat off the top and then cook your soup the way you want it using the broth. Don't for get the meat you saved.

If you have a pressure cooker, you can cook the bone for 30-35 min. under pressure, let the pressure release naturally and proceed.
Swtgran
2007 Casita 17ft SD
2005 Toyota Tundra

chast
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi--don't make it so hard! Not rocket science--just simmer the ham bones for about an hour or so, add peas and extras and cook until the peas are soft. The texture is smooth, so cook long enough to have the peas are like a smooth paste. We always add onions, carrots, salt and pepper. Enjoy!
chartrue2@aol.com