cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magnusfide you inspired me

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Well all this talk about dutch oven cooking, you magnusfide, have inspired me to break out the dutch oven today. I've only used it to make a chicken and rice meal and the dump cake before. I wanted to make another dinner with it, but really couldn't select just one. So I was looking in the cabinet and saw a banana bread mix in there. I haven't done any breads or anything like that. So I thought I would give this a try and broaden my skills ever so slightly.

Now I need to think of so wing else to make maybe next weekend.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
9 REPLIES 9

Quality_Johnson
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:

I see; when you said "turn up the heat" that's the phrase we use for stoves and ovens. In our DO gatherings we use the phrase "increase the temp."

Still sounds like a winner of a recipe! Well done you!

See, I learned something new today! Thanks!
Al
'93 Dutchmen 18' TT, pulled by '02 Dodge Durango 5.9

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Quality Johnson wrote:

The described method was done with charcoal under and on the lid. Cooked at about 350 with the liquid for maybe 45 minutes to 1 hour, then add coals to bring the heat up to at least 400 to brown and caramelize the sauce. Best ribs I ever made, but I never made very good ribs before.

I see; when you said "turn up the heat" that's the phrase we use for stoves and ovens. In our DO gatherings we use the phrase "increase the temp."

Still sounds like a winner of a recipe! Well done you!
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Quality_Johnson
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
Quality, good idea. But the kind of DO cooking we're referring to involves charcoal or wood coals on the lid and the bottom to create an oven effect.

Yours sounds like a good way to do it on a stove though. Have you ever done the charcoals?

Quality Johnson wrote:
camperpaul wrote:
I use a wire 10" round cake cooling rack in the bottom of my 12" DO to provide a space below the cake pan or bread pan.

This also works perfectly as a rack to hold meat above the bottom of the pan, and you can put a small amount of liquid in it, which will steam cook your meat. Then add BBQ or teriaki sauce to the meat, remove the liquid, and turn up the heat to finish. Works perfectly with chicken and pork ribs, for example.

The described method was done with charcoal under and on the lid. Cooked at about 350 with the liquid for maybe 45 minutes to 1 hour, then add coals to bring the heat up to at least 400 to brown and caramelize the sauce. Best ribs I ever made, but I never made very good ribs before.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Quality, good idea. But the kind of DO cooking we're referring to involves charcoal or wood coals on the lid and the bottom to create an oven effect.

Yours sounds like a good way to do it on a stove though. Have you ever done the charcoals?

Quality Johnson wrote:
camperpaul wrote:
I use a wire 10" round cake cooling rack in the bottom of my 12" DO to provide a space below the cake pan or bread pan.

This also works perfectly as a rack to hold meat above the bottom of the pan, and you can put a small amount of liquid in it, which will steam cook your meat. Then add BBQ or teriaki sauce to the meat, remove the liquid, and turn up the heat to finish. Works perfectly with chicken and pork ribs, for example.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

Quality_Johnson
Explorer
Explorer
camperpaul wrote:

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Made it and it turned out great. Don't have the trivet yet. Used some rolled up tin foil to raise the ends of the bread pan off the bottom.

My birthday is in March. Made a list of things for my wife to buy me...
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutch Oven Gatherings are wonderful places to RV and meet up with helpful folks too. DOGs give us a great reason to visit different parts of the country as well.
Here's a website that lists some of the DOGs
http://dutchovengathering.com/

I've listed more Dutch Oven reference sites in this thread
http://forums.woodalls.com/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27544284.cfm

Magnus

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
When doing breads, biscuits, pies, etc I have found that using a baking pan raised above the bottom slightly can insure that the bottom won't burn. It doesn't take much. I use a Lodge trivet in mine. small, say 1/4" nuts would work fine.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde