cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No-Nonsense RV Recipes

SkylineSearcher
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I'm seeking some simple RV recipes for on-the-go meals. A lot of cookbooks ask for too many ingredients, and I'm looking for down-and-dirty, step-by-step directions for quick meals.

I'd also like to submit some of these recipes for inclusion in the 2023 edition of the Good Sam Guide.

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
JRscooby wrote:
magnusfide wrote:
SkylineSearcher wrote:

I'd also like to submit some of these recipes for inclusion in the 2023 edition of the Good Sam Guide.

Will we receive compensation for our recipes? I think it's only right that if someone makes money off of something I authored, that I receive compensation.

While I agree artists and engineers should be compensated for their work I wonder who can point to what recipe and say "that is all mine"
I bet that most societies have tradition of sharing food, and ways to prepare it from the time we climbed down the trees.

People get paid for recipes all the time. That's why people write and sell cookbooks.

In this case, the OP is asking for actual detailed recipes specifically to include in a to be published cookbook not just "cooking ideas".

On a travel forum, the forum owners (who publish travel books) will at times use quotes from the forum in their books. When they do, they give credit for the quote to the author AND they offer the author one of their travel books (the author can choose which book) in compensation.

Seems fair to me for Good Sam to offer some sort of compensation when they are asking forum members to provide the actual content of their cookbook (rather than just a one or two line quote like the travel book company).
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
magnusfide wrote:
SkylineSearcher wrote:

Will we receive compensation for our recipes? I think it's only right that if someone makes money off of something I authored, that I receive compensation.

While I agree artists and engineers should be compensated for their work I wonder who can point to what recipe and say "that is all mine"
I bet that most societies have tradition of sharing food, and ways to prepare it from the time we climbed down the trees.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
From SkylineSearcher's prior posts, I believe they work for Good Sam and are looking for actual recipes, not general ideas, to include in cookbooks to be published by Good Sam.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
SkylineSearcher wrote:

"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
A simple chicken pot pie that we do using precooked chicken and stove top stuffing.
Pot pie

LMHS
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have found good recipes by doing online searches for "five ingredients or less recipes".

Making your own homemade mixes for "convenience foods" let's you controls ingredients. You can even make your own homemade Mac & Cheese with powdered cheddar cheese (no artifical colours or added stuff). I make my own "rice-a-roni" mix and have done so for years. I can't even remember the last time I bought a box of it. Works just like the boxed stuff.

I don't like recipes that take longer to prep & hands-on cook than it takes to eat it.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I donโ€™t have more or less ingredients in my TT than my homeโ€ฆjust smaller quantities.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
What do you consider "too many" ingredients?

It's easy to do quick meals. What isn't easy is to do them well.

If you like, I can post a number of recipes that use convenience products. Canned Chili + Kraft Mac n Cheese = Chili-Mac. Top with your favorite hot sauce and/or shredded cheese. There certainly is a market for these types of recipes, but I would never encourage their use. They're quick, but lack nutrition and subtlety of flavor. And then there's the salt and fat content. Oh my.

There are also a number of great, simple recipes with fewer than 10 ingredients and don't use any convenience products, but those generally aren't "quick." Cooking heirloom beans with greens comes to mind. BUT...these CAN be made ahead and either canned or frozen. I prefer this approach.

Automatic cookers are another great approach. Instant Pot and the new generation of so-called "air fryers" can cut the cooking time of scratch cooking in half. Again, the beans are a great example.

I'd personally love to see people get back to authentic cooking more, tossing the microwave into the trash bin and visiting the local farmer's market. There's nothing quicker and better than fresh corn and other vegetables cooked on the grill.