cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speaking of Bacon

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bacon Day!!! Got about 3 lbs package of bacon ends and pieces. Spent this morning cooking them in the oven, so we could have bacon fat in the crock and bacon pieces in the freezer, ready for whenever we need bacon.

It was delicious in a butty (UK thing, heavily buttered toast and bacon).

Will definitely be buying that brand again.

Spousal Unit just made a club salad. Instead of turkey, which I'm not fond of, we're substituting bacon. Yum.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more
3 REPLIES 3

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
TexasShadow wrote:
I get Sam's Club bacon. 3 lb Black Label thick cut or 4 lb thick cut Wright.
I cut off the fatty end and keep for seasoning beans or green beans. Then bake the rest and freeze and just take out the number of pieces I want and zap them in the micro wave. The bacon fat goes into the fridge or freezer to use for frying eggs or potatoes or chicken.

Yep I like the Wright's thick cut too. I'll cut off the fatty ends on half of the slices for seasoning purposes. Bacon sandwiches need those slices cut in half before I cook them. Makes them fit on the bread better.

The uncut slices I use to wrap around pork roasts or to make pig candy (grandkids' favorite).

Or if I can find smoked ham hocks I'll season with that instead. Makes some slamming bean soup we eat regularly (No musical fruit jokes please. We soak the beans to avoid that).

There's a meat market about 30 minutes from us that I've been visiting and they'll custom cut bacon to the degree of thickness I like which is a little thicker than Wright's thick cut.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
I get Sam's Club bacon. 3 lb Black Label thick cut or 4 lb thick cut Wright.
I cut off the fatty end and keep for seasoning beans or green beans. Then bake the rest and freeze and just take out the number of pieces I want and zap them in the micro wave. The bacon fat goes into the fridge or freezer to use for frying eggs or potatoes or chicken.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can’t go wrong with bacon. Which brand did you get? Sounds as though your prep was a solid idea.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus