cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suggestions for Pie Irons/Sandwich Makers?

AJMom
Explorer
Explorer
We have two boys, ages 9 and 12, and would like to pick up a few pie irons/sandwich makers for grilled cheese, etc., on family trips. Single, double, aluminum, cast iron...too many choices! What would you recommend for a family of four and why?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
20 REPLIES 20

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
I got my cast iron pie makers at A.C.E. Hardware; I think they are Lodge but I'm not sure.

Try it with flour tortillas for the crusts and pizza toppings inside.

Your mouth will love you forever.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

Harley_Dude
Explorer
Explorer
Scroll down and look at the Rome offerings....best there is.

http://www.wisementrading.com/outdoorcooking/pie_irons.htm
"You're a long time underground!"

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cast iron for sure. We had a girl scout troop and the camp bought aluminum pie irons. Every one was warped. We personally have one single round and one single square cast iron. I prefer the square one because you can get more goodies inside a square one. Enjoy!

swtgran
Explorer
Explorer
Yes they need to be seasoned just like any other cast iron, but it is so worth it. Once done they get better and better. I seasoned mine over our gas stove top. I would also think you could unscrew the handles and do them in the oven like any other piece of CI.

So much fun your boys will have. terry r.
Swtgran
2007 Casita 17ft SD
2005 Toyota Tundra

AJMom
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I was wondering about that. Do they need to be seasoned like other cast iron? If so, it has to be done in a campfire, right?

BryceB
Explorer
Explorer
Single cast iron. Single just because, but cast iron because we melted a set of aluminum ones in a fire one time.
'01 Ford F-250 PSD CC 4x4 SB
'08 Wildwood LE 26TBSS

State's we RVed in!