cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Take it or leave it?

quasi
Explorer
Explorer
I cook. A lot. I have gadgets and geegaws, appliances and appurtenances. My question is what to take with us when we start Long-Timing next spring. Do most of you cooks out there take most of your kitchen with you or do you try to get by with a mess kit and a pocket knife? Trying to determine if I need things like a stand mixer, food processor and panini maker, all of which I use weekly at home.
Suggestions?

Jim

Growing old is mandatory,
Growing up is entirely optional.

Remember, It's never too late to have
a happy childhood!

17 REPLIES 17

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Can you something else instead of the dedicated devices? For example, instead of the panini maker, could you simply toast or grill your sandwiches?

You're better off keeping those things that can do multiple things rather than a bunch of dedicated items.

Food processor and stand mixer - can you use one for both purposes? Is there a smaller option available? For example, can you skip the stand mixer and use a hand held mixer that will take up less room? What do you use the food processor for - if just to juice, can you use something smaller?

If you really enjoy cooking, you probably won't be happy giving up all your toys, but pick and choose the most useful, find smaller options, etc.

If you can store items somewhere for 6 months, you might do that. That way if you realize you absolutely must have that food processor, you won't have to buy it again. If you don't miss it over the 6 months, then you can sell it.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
20 demerits for a senior double posting.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Duplicate post........duplicate answer :B

Where do you plan on storing them?

Where do you plan on setting them up to use?

When we went FT...........basics
Large skillet, medium skillet, couple of pots/pans

Hand can opener, hand mixer, small blender (bullet), couple of whisks etc.
Cooked everyday using stove top, oven, slow cooker and BBQ

Space and Weight are concerns so set priorities for YOU
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31