cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which Blackstone to buy?

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been using a Coleman Road Trip Grill with the optional griddle top, and it cooks OK, but the grease makes a mess. Cooking 1 lb of bacon quickly overflows the griddle top sending grease down into the burner tray and making it tough to clean up. I saw a YT video of a guy using a Blackstone with the rear grease cup and it seems like that's a great way to manage the grease issue. Plus it would be great to have a grill and griddle, that's the best of both worlds!

I started looking at Blackstone griddles and there are a zillion models, give or take a few, plus a million accessories. How important is a lid that closes, windscreen, etc? What size is sufficient? I have a 20 lb propane tank that I use with the Coleman, so I was think a Y adapter would let me connect both grill and griddle to the same tank.
12 REPLIES 12

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I have a 22" with lid and a aftermarket non blackstone stand.
The blackstone stand is OK if you can get a folding model vs. a fixed stand that does not collapse for transport.
I prefer the 22 vs. the 17 because it has 2 burners and can generate more heat.
The 17 can struggle to get hot on cool windy mornings.
On a nice 70ยบ day both 17 & 22 work well. However on colder mornings the 22 shines and generates plenty of heat vs. a 17.
Get a lid it makes a difference and is sometimes invaluable.
Wind screens are also good to have.
You don't need them often, but when you do they are nice to have.
Also get the proper hoses and connections, I can use LP from the RV or I can connect to a standard 20# portable lp tank.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

pbeverly
Nomad
Nomad
22" with lid.

I carry it in and out of camper in two sections, much lighter and easier. I don't do this every day, just on arrival and departure days. I have a bunkhouse and both parts on stored separately on the lower bunk when not camping. I place the griddle section on a piece of plywood with holes drilled for the griddle feet protect the bunk mattress.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
We have the 22 with the lid and stand,it is great. We also had a coleman roadtrip grill I carried it last season along with the blackstone and we never used the coleman one time. I took it out and sold it. The problem with the coleman is that it is a pain to clean after using it.
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

allenb12
Explorer
Explorer
We have the 17 with the lid. We also have a 36 at home. I like the lid on the 17. helps to melt cheese on burgers, sets egg whites etc. It also keeps debris from settling on it.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've got a 17 and a 36. I'd love to sell my 17 then get a 22, but just haven't done it. The 17 only has one burner, and gets small real fast.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I got the 22" with the lid and stand. The stand folds up and the grill comes apart in sections so should be easy enough to travel with. I'll be hauling it in the truck and probably leave the old bbq grill at home (the one that attaches to the side of the Rockwood).

I should figure out how to attach the quick connect hose to the trailers outlet and to the Blackstone.. Should be easy enough with the correct adapters and just delete the regulator on the grill. Can't wait for the first trip!
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
I used a 17" for several years. Last year I bought a 22" with lid and stand. We are very happy with it. It travels in the storage bay and the 17" now lives on the patio.
35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
We got the 22" because it has dual burners, so you can cook at different temps (or just leave things warming if you turn one side off).

Not much bigger or heavier than the 17".

A lid is really nice...if nothing else to keep debris off when not in use. Ours didn't come with one, so I picked up a big aluminum sheet pan and it works well flipped upside down. I'm still experimenting but I've been able to make pizzas with the lid on.

For home or permanent site, the big 36" or bigger models can feed a small army but way too much hassle for a mobile situation.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I like the 22 because it has the 2 burners. I didn't get the cover, and I regret that. Sometimes it is hard to get the griddle up to the high temp you want unless you have the cover and/or some wind shielding.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
IF you have the room the 22" with cover is a great griddle. It has two burners (1 on the 17") which gives you more flexibility. I have both 17" and 22". Walmart sells a 22" package with lid and stand at a great price. I have cooked 16 filet mignons to perfection (from blue to well done) at one time on the 17". Front grease tray on 17" makes pre-made windscreens readily available on Amazon. When my Weber dies at home I will replace it with a 3 or 4 burner Blackstone as I can cook anything (almost) on the Blackstone. Enjoy!

edit..heres the Walmart deal.
22"
I didn't see this was a shipping item. I bought mine "in-store" for $149.

By the way... The stand (a $100 value) fits the 17" as well.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

We have the 17 and love cooking with it.

We use a "Y" adapter between the Blackstone, and the Weber Q2000 and the 20 lb LP bottle..

I can say that we use it a lot and never have I said I wish it were bigger, its a good travel size. We do not have the lid, but we do have a cover..

I made wind screens for mine, we camp a lot at the beach and wind is usually an issue, no more with the wind screens..

Clean up is a breeze, I use a large scraper, then paper towel, then a sprinkle of oil to re season before covering for travel...

Mine has a front trap, my bro in laws is rear, either way, they are fantastic.. 2 lbs of bacon and it's not full...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
We have the 17 with lid. We really like the Blackstone and the lid.
Like the 17 as it is lighter than the 22 but both would be fine. Don't have the wind breaker but it would come in very handy on a windy day.
Those things cook very fast and clean up isn't too bad. We have the earliest version with the drip cup in the front. People seem to prefer them over the back version.