cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

$130.00 For 4GM RAM?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
That's what CRUCIAL quoted me for a pair of 2GB chips for that 8 -year old Gateway laptop. Without looking too hard I found the same number on an eBay site who confirmed it's the correct RAM for that computer.

Thirty three dollars free shipping no tax for both chips. I've got to do something quick tomorrow as a driver is going 750 miles north next Friday and will go to my PO Box the following Tuesday. If I squeeze for the Crucial RAM- no hard drive limited now to 70+ GB disk.

Advice sought por favor
28 REPLIES 28

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
TheBearAK wrote:
strollin wrote:
The OP should realize that $130 for 4GBs of RAM is really a bargain. I remember paying more than $300 for 512K of RAM to raise the memory in my IBM PC from 128K to 640K back in about 1984.

Heck I remember a lawyer bringing his Mac Plus in just after the Toshiba plant burned down in 86 or 87. Memory prices shot up up like crazy. $1800 for 4 MB of RAM.

That would be a bargain compared to $300 for 512K. Let's see 2x512K = 1M, so $600 per MB x 4 would be $2400 for 4MB!
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

TheBearAK
Explorer
Explorer
strollin wrote:
The OP should realize that $130 for 4GBs of RAM is really a bargain. I remember paying more than $300 for 512K of RAM to raise the memory in my IBM PC from 128K to 640K back in about 1984.

Heck I remember a lawyer bringing his Mac Plus in just after the Toshiba plant burned down in 86 or 87. Memory prices shot up up like crazy. $1800 for 4 MB of RAM.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Jeeze thanks I looked at the results of the Crucial site wrong. That's why I came here - looking to get steered straight.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Just like other obsolete tech. When PLC's we used at work went out of production the prices split two directions. Remaining new inventory was rare and expensive. As more customers removed them the used market became larger and cheaper.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
strollin wrote:

LOL!

The memory chips came in static tubes. You gently slid them out then ever-so-carefully rolled the pins a little bit inward so they'd snap into the sockets!

I had an Apple //e and the kid in the upstairs apt had one of the first PCs. I was envious of his dual floppy drives.

๐Ÿ™‚

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

BTW, the Crucial link to the memory modules can be found at Gateway S-7320M.

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Got the ram id info: S-7320-M Gateway laptop

I think you may have looked at the wrong modules previously? Crucial has them listed for $54. total for 2-2GB(=4GB) memory sticks for the Gateway S-7320M. That sounds more in line price wise?

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I'd buy the $33 Ebay RAM, if the seller has good feedback and is somewhere that ships fast (Hong Kong or west coast of China, not inland).

Ebay is the best place for outdated electronics. Yes, Crucial will try to recoup their 8 years of storage cost. Ebay sellers won't.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
In 2002, I bought a Dell Dimension 8200 (about $3600 then, at a computer market in Beijing) which was about the fastest, hottest running consumer PC then available from standard production. I was editing encoding digital video, a task then way out of reach of most single processor PCs. This model came in a really good full tower case, same box that was housing the $12,000 multiprocessor Windows workstations used by our reservoir engineers (my desk had a SPARCStation).

To make the memory keep up with the processor, this model used RDRAM, at the time the standard RAM technology for RISC workstations and multiprocessor servers, way ahead of the fastest SDRAM then available.

Home in the US three years later, I looked into upgrading it for flight simulation. To take it from 512MB to 1 GB cost $500 for two more RDRAM modules, and the best graphics card I could get for the AGP slot was about two steps above entry level PCIe cards, barely improving on what I had. I really wanted to take it to 2 GB, but that meant replacing the two 256M modules with four 512M modules at a cost of $2000. I'm not guessing what 2GB might cost today, but I suspect one would have trouble finding it at any price (like obsolete pioneer circuit breakers, but that's another story).

Solution was a Dell XPS box with Core i7, 8 GB DDR memory, 1.5 TB drive, enthusiast level 3D HD graphics, for less than the price of upgrading the Dimension 8200 to 2GB and adding another 500 GB drive (max supported by the chipset). The XPS came in a really cheap mid-tower case, but it was a 16X improvement in throughput for video encoding. Upgrading the old one would have gained no more than 20% for the video work.

However, the XPS has died, the Dimension 8200 is still slogging along ten years later on the smaller tasks I give it, and I was able to replace the XPS with an entry model iMac for $1200, and again improve throughput on my photo and video work.

Sometimes just replacing the thing is the cheapest way of imprving its performance, although I must admit the improvements in Windows PC technology 2008 to now are nothing like the gains made 2004 to 2008, or 1992 to 2000.

OK, this is crazy. The RDRAM modules for the early Dimension 8000 machines is still available, and now dirt cheap. 2GB for less than $50. The demand is apparently now very small, and the supply has probably been inflated by taking all of those early 21st century servers off line and scavenging the parts. Pentium 4 CPUs are probably real cheap too ๐Ÿ™‚
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

8.1 Van wrote:
$130 RAM for an 8 year old laptop is a waste of money since you could get a much better laptop for less than $130.
Dell Latitude E6400 14.1" Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 2.66GHz 4GB 160GB Notebook PC

I just saw on EBAY a Lenovo 14" Intel Core i5 refurb notebook, WIN 7 Pro, 4GB memory, 500GB HD for $130. sans shipping.

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
I try to max out RAM with third party RAM (in my case, not bought from Apple) shortly after purchasing a computer for just this reason. Yes, I learned the economics of RAM many years ago.

It's worth pricing RAM at the same time you purchase a computer. I've found it cost effective to buy the minimum RAM with the computer and then toss those sticks right away and put in the max RAM.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
$130 RAM for an 8 year old laptop is a waste of money since you could get a much better laptop for less than $130.
Dell Latitude E6400 14.1" Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 2.66GHz 4GB 160GB Notebook PC

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Doesn't make sense why obsolete stuff costs a fortune.

Yes it does. It's now a scarce resource. And they're not making any more of it.

It's been this way with computer stuff, for 20+ years. It's cheap when it's plentiful. It's plentiful when it's in vogue and common.

Watch DDR3 prices rise now as DDR4 becomes mainstream.

Is there anything on eBay?