cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Minor Hassle When Using a VPN

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I’m using both Edge Browser and Nord VPN on Windows 10, and so far am happy. However, there is one fairly minor annoyance. When I try to sign in to my email or online banking websites I need to enter a code sent to my phone in order to sign in. I’m pretty sure this extra step is needed because the VPN assigns a different IP address and location than previously recognized. Having to go through that extra step is somewhat annoying, but perhaps a good thing for security. I don’t think there’s a way to circumvent this, and do understand it's probably a good thing, but I’m open to any ideas someone may have. I will certainly not stop using a VPN because I believe the extra security it provides outweighs any minor hassle.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
24 REPLIES 24

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Happens with my Yahoo account as well Im no using a VPN I'm using assorted browsers and devices but on all of 'em thy now do the phone thing.

You might want to move away from Edge.. But I won't go into why. Research the product to see what the security experts are saying about Tracking.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Aridon wrote, "You should also be cautious and use reputable VPN companies."

I think my VPN, Nord VPN, was a good choice. There are many positive comments on the Web. I was using Tunnel Bear before and that worked well, but it was almost time to renew and I thought, for curiosities sake, I'd give Nord a try. So far, I like it.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. The 2 step situation with g mail seems to have resolved itself, at least for now. I guess the new IP address is now recognized by my g mail accounts. At any rate, I'll continue using a VPN for the privacy and security reasons mentioned here. In addition, I'm using public WiFi at the place where I'm staying.
Of course, 2 step verification when banking is welcome.

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
If you connect to public WiFi or even camp ground WiFi a vpn can make sense.

Who knows, maybe he wants out of market locals or something as well.

Anyway, two factor authentication is there to protect your account. VPN makes it look like you're logging in from somewhere you really aren't so Banks take extra precautions and they should because those are shared Ips.

You should also be cautious and use reputable VPN companies.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP: For banking I turn off the VPN. It is one click to turn off and one more to turn it back on.

Why a VPN? It is no bodies business where I surf or shop. Sites track every click and how long it takes you to click.

My son is in the internet marketing business and can follow anyone and analyze what they like, dislike, and how long it takes them to decide to buy or move on.

He recommends a VPN unless you like getting spam, targeted marketing, etc.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Encrypting encrypted data is redundant and only serves to slow things down. Banking sites are already using adequate encryption, the vpn is adding unnecessary complexity.

In North America, how does using a VPN designed to mask your true location help improve security?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
The primary need for VPN is hide illegal downloads like streaming from out of country and pirate sites.
Why would you need this for basic web use.

Encrypted data is more secure. VPNs have many legitimate uses not connected to illegal file sharing or streaming.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
The primary need for VPN is hide illegal downloads like streaming from out of country and pirate sites.
Why would you need this for basic web use.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Wait.... what?

You're using a VPN because you claim to be concerned about security, but then complain about having to use 2-factor to log into your banking sites?

Post makes no sense.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I like that extra step. It's not like I have to log on to my banking site that often. I have encountered other sites that don't seem to work correctly because of VPN...
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE