cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another HughesNET Gen 5 Speed Test

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
I think this is the "realist" test I've done as it seems to accurately describe web browser behavior.?

HughesNET Gen 5 Evaluation 3
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs
8 REPLIES 8

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I prefer fast.com because it check latency (ping) under load.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
What's the advantage of these "speed test" websites, versus actually using a program that measures download speed at your computer? Wouldn't that be more accurate? Just curious.

These websites DO measure the download speed at your computer. The old ones used Flash or Java programming to do it. The newer ones use JavaScript and HTML 5.
Thanks, I knew the old ones weren't always as accurate as they could have been. I've always use Networx to check download speeds, but can no longer update as they've gone to a subscription program. Bummer.

Can't speak to accuracy, since the code could be influenced such to skew results in favor of a certain isp for example. not saying that's the case for speedof.me. the speedtest from dslreports.com aggregates results of multiple remote sites, it's pretty high on my accuracy scale.

Go old school with netcat but you'll need to control both ends of the connection since it's a client/server relationship.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
GordonThree wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
What's the advantage of these "speed test" websites, versus actually using a program that measures download speed at your computer? Wouldn't that be more accurate? Just curious.

These websites DO measure the download speed at your computer. The old ones used Flash or Java programming to do it. The newer ones use JavaScript and HTML 5.
Thanks, I knew the old ones weren't always as accurate as they could have been. I've always use Networx to check download speeds, but can no longer update as they've gone to a subscription program. Bummer.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
What's the latency (ping time)?

Typically, between 600 - 800 ms
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
What's the latency (ping time)?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks for posting!

Any news about the many several leo satellites?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.