cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Antenna and Amplifiers for Weak WiFi Signals

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I want to pick up weaker WiFi signals for the rig. What are some of the highest gain WiFi antenna and amplifier products? A directional antenna is OK and the "best" location for me would be on the flagpole at the rear of the rig and I'd like to use a router/repeater for the rest of the rig.

Equipment, options and suggestions welcome.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob
39 REPLIES 39

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The 17 dBi Yagi that I'm looking at is 20" long so at least not 36". These types of antennas are very directional would likely be best aimed with one of the free signal strength apps.

The Nano M2 at 11 dBi which remains inside is more than adequate for most RV situations.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was also wondering about it laying flat in the rain. The reviews on the Titanium model are much better relative to moisture and it comes with the PoE but higher costs. Perhaps with some research there is some type of adapter that would fit over the cable and allow for the use of heat shrink. But the Titanium model may be OK laying flat.

Another option would be to use a short length of coax and keep the bullet inside. There would be some minor signal loss due to the cable.

The Titanium reviews I've seen for boats and RVs are all with a vertical mount and no moisture issue unlike the non Titanium model. Mounting on the RV ladder is easy and popular.

One of my options is to use it with my Flagpole Buddy and a Yagi and it would be taken down when traveling. I would need to device some way to prevent the pole from rotating in the wind.

Lots of mounting options but the reviews on sustained connectivity and range are very positive and that is the most important consideration.

Bob

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
I've read the documents and it looks reasonable but there are always the gotcha's.

Don't plug the AirGateway into the Switching Mode Power Supply until the instructions tell you to. I made that mistake. :S

The Bullet looks good until I read the reviews which have multiple reports of water ingestion causing failure. Laying flat on the roof driving into heavy rain I wonder how to keep it waterproof.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's Windows and I will let everyone know how it works. Based upon the video details and the post installation reviews I have read it should be great. David is also a very good friend so if things go sideways he's going to get a call!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill,

If you are doing a Windows setup please post the details. I've read the documents and it looks reasonable but there are always the gotcha's.

Bob

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the equipment suggested by David Bott on order and it should be here tomorrow. I have a great WiFi connection available (10MB up and 30MB down) as long as I sit in the front seat of the coach. I plan to do the setup as described and hopefully install the equipment behind the TV in the fiberglass cap as that will be the correct direction. If the cap reduces reception then it will sit in the front window unless I get motivated enough to mount it to my spotlight and run the cable inside. It should look ridiculous but it would be fully directional!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Crabbypatty wrote:
The 15db yagi is how I am able to send this message. The 9db omni direction couldn't pull in a signal strong enough. Aiming is an issue and I need to get a wifi signal strength meter. Otherwise it works great.
If you have a mac, it's built in to the system: http://osxdaily.com/2011/12/28/check-wireless-signal-strength-optimize-wifi-networks-mac-os-x/
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
The 15db yagi is how I am able to send this message. The 9db omni direction couldn't pull in a signal strong enough. Aiming is an issue and I need to get a wifi signal strength meter. Otherwise it works great.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have 2 reasonable choices to route a cable:
1. Use my ladder mounted flagpole for the mount and route the wire down under and up to the inside.
2. Mount the antenna on the Batwing, route the wire through the roof into a cabinet. I don't have a problem with yet another hole in the roof sealed with Dicor.

Whichever one I choose I'll first use the flagpole and bring the cable through a window until the final location is chosen. I have a Flagpole Buddy since I like to fly the American Flag so no climbing required to put up the antenna. Plus I can raise it to any height and rotate as desired. While this location will cast shadows on the solar panels in most cases I'll still get adequate solar power to recharge the batteries.

Bob

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
I use the Alfa 2-watt amplifier and the 18db enclosed yagi tubular antenna. I have no db figures to offer but the gain over the Alfa and 12 db whip antenna is insane. No bars to 5 bars. I found out the hard way that De-Oxit D100 is virtually indispensable to gain decent amplification. Am I ever happy with this system! But get the DeOxit! It is not a gimmick. Use it everywhere.
Is the antenna mounted outside your coach or is it inside your coach. My problem is finding a suitable location to mount it outside and then route the cables inside.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

diveman52
Explorer
Explorer
VoodooMedicineMan wrote:
I use an Alfa. I'm going to add an external antenna.

I have been using this with an external antenna for years.
Can't beat it for the price.
40+ Years in Electrical construction.
Retired IBEW Local 595
Every Days Saturday
2008 Newmar Dutch Star 4035

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Alfa 2-watt amplifier and the 18db enclosed yagi tubular antenna. I have no db figures to offer but the gain over the Alfa and 12 db whip antenna is insane. No bars to 5 bars. I found out the hard way that De-Oxit D100 is virtually indispensable to gain decent amplification. Am I ever happy with this system! But get the DeOxit! It is not a gimmick. Use it everywhere.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Summary of the Ubiquiti equipment

Loco M2 8dBi $47
Airgateway $19
Window mount $25
2 cables $16
Optionally:
Nano M2 11dBi $87 - 2x gain from the Loco
Airgateway LR $28

The Bullet option:
Bullet-M2-HP $72
Yagi WiFi 17 dBi $30 on Amazon - 4x gain from the Nano
Plus the above gateway and cables

The bullet option still need further research (for me) to be sure that the cables are compatible (or adapters are available) and understand the software setup. Plus how and where to mount the equipment. My options are to use the Flagpole Buddy mount at the rear of the rig or a more permanent mount on the Batwing.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Heaven forbid that I've helped hijack my own thread!

I've gotten a lot of good input on options to pick up weaker external WiFi and thank you everyone. And with my own WiFi network it's even better. It's really nice to be wire free these days, no LAN or USB cables. Now technology just get rid of the power cords to the laptops...

Bob