cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Antenna delema

BuckyBadger
Explorer
Explorer
So I have a piece of private property with one of my campers on it. I'm in the middle of putting a large "pavilion" style roof over it. It has a metal roof so the antenna isn't working so good any more.

I have put up a 25 foot pole with a rotator on it to mount an antenna. I have always loved the reception of the wineguard antenna.

I was thinking of buying one and mounting it on the pole. Then I got to thinking of powering it I don't have a battery and wanted to use something like this to power it. Real Output: 12V 1.5A 18W. 99% of the time the TV will be outside
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015HSS57Y?psc=1

I have also thought about the DB8 or DB8e, but the low profile RV antenna would be better in windy conditions since the pole has no guy wires on it

https://www.amazon.com/High-Bowtie-Indoor-Outdoor-Antenna/dp/B000EHWCDW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=14725...

You insight would be appreciated
14 REPLIES 14

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is the one I would recommend. Good for both VHF and UHF bands

http://www.channelmaster.com/Masterpiece_Digital_HDTV_Antenna_p/cm-5020.htm
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

BuckyBadger
Explorer
Explorer
As I was board today I went up unhooked the cable front the TT and pulled the 2 pins out of the antenna mast on the TT. Put the antenna on the pole with muffler type clamps, 26ft up, hooked the RG6 to the antenna inlet on top of the camper and the results were awesome!! Cost Free. Had everything laying around I needed. Just have to clean the wiring up a bit

BuckyBadger
Explorer
Explorer
Lorne&Lorraine wrote:
Channel Master 4228 with amplifier. It's a powerful residential UHF antenna but unlike some other UHF antennas it does a decent job on VHF too. We have two installations in different locations. One on a 35 foot tower picks up an NBC UHF station from 100 miles away (but reception at any given location depends on many factors as noted in the other posts). Because of the small "foot print", compared to those massive VHF antennas, it handles windy and winter weather just fine. It's a highly directional antenna (to get the range) so use with a rotor may be a must if TV signals arrive from different compass directions.

Channel Master 4228

Yeah, I was looking at ones like that. Being on sale I'm going to give it a try

Lorne_Lorraine
Explorer
Explorer
Channel Master 4228 with amplifier. It's a powerful residential UHF antenna but unlike some other UHF antennas it does a decent job on VHF too. We have two installations in different locations. One on a 35 foot tower picks up an NBC UHF station from 100 miles away (but reception at any given location depends on many factors as noted in the other posts). Because of the small "foot print", compared to those massive VHF antennas, it handles windy and winter weather just fine. It's a highly directional antenna (to get the range) so use with a rotor may be a must if TV signals arrive from different compass directions.

Channel Master 4228
Lorne Ross
2003 Pleasure-Way Ford Excel TD
Camped the lower 48 states and 9 provinces
Most multiple times and now on the repeat!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would go taller, Use a quality Tower or a good Telephone type pole. and a fair size Channel Master Signal grabber with rotor.

My parent's 2nd house I put up a 100' Tower, I think it was CM's biggest or 2nd Biggest with mast head amplifier (opitonal) and power injector in basement of house... A distribution system feeding I think eight different loactions (Lots of loss in all those splitters) and we watched TV from over 100 miles away often. Very good signal, of course this was in teh analog days

Today.. The Biggest antenna is a bit smaller, but still has the range.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SCClockDr
Explorer
Explorer
Most HD digital channels broadcast in the UHF range but not all.
You could use the web based TVfool tool to confirm if there are any VHF channels in your mix.
If not, then only a UHF antenna is needed & they come in a much smaller footprint reducing the snow load issue.
It would also be good to position your pole so the structure is NOT between the pole and the transmit towers to limit phasing issues.
George & Cathy
08 Titanium 28E33SA, XM, Honda EU 3000is, Trimetric, RotoChocks, LP Reg. Mod, 2 Gal Accum., WiFiRanger GO2/Mobile
04 Ram 3500 5.9 DRW, PAC PRXB E/B, 4" MBRP SS Exhaust, Gauges, Aux Tank/box, BrakeSmart.
ETCS (ss) USN Ret

BuckyBadger
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
Bucky
I bought this one at Fry's in the store, Home Depot, also carries it online

http://www.frys.com/product/8867072?site=92premail072316

It's 37" across after assembly, it looks like the bat wing and is rated for outside, has bracket for pole mount, no internal amplifier, use the one from amazon

Since the wineguard batt wing worked before the shelter roof
This one might do it for you

Thanks for the Link I remember that from a post you made a while ago.

MrWizard
Bucky
I bought this one at Fry's in the store, Home Depot, also carries it online

http://www.frys.com/product/8867072?site=92premail072316

It's 37" across after assembly, it looks like the bat wing and is rated for outside, has bracket for pole mount, no internal amplifier, use the one from amazon

Since the wineguard batt wing worked before the shelter roof
This one might do it for you
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with Bill....a residential antenna would be most appropriate. If aesthetics play an important part...then can't really offer further opinion. Even a fairly small residential antenna is better than any RV antenna.... You may not need a powered pre-amp if you have a good residential antenna.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

BuckyBadger
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Hopefully, you are not looking at RV antennas for the installation on a fixed building. Household antennas are SO much more effective than anything that an RV could use it would make no sense to mount an RV antenna at the top of a 25 foot pole. If you like Winegard (and who doesn't) they make fixed location antennas that you could mount and receive a much better signal than anything as limited as an RV antenna.

I have a 25 foot pole. The pole is lagged to a fence post. I live in Wisconsin. I don't think the "residental" antenna will stand up to our Wisconsin winters on a pole with out guy wires. another thing the residential antenna is pretty ugly at 168 inches long. As I said we were able to pick up many stations with the antenna on our RV until I put the roof on.
http://www.winegard.com/hdtv-outdoor-antennas?q=offair

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hopefully, you are not looking at RV antennas for the installation on a fixed building. Household antennas are SO much more effective than anything that an RV could use it would make no sense to mount an RV antenna at the top of a 25 foot pole. If you like Winegard (and who doesn't) they make fixed location antennas that you could mount and receive a much better signal than anything as limited as an RV antenna.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
We dumped cable a year ago saving $120 a month and just use a OTA TV antenna now. Had to install a booster that runs off of 120VAC, it really helped with the reception.

Amazon TV amplifier

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

BuckyBadger
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
you do not say the miles to transmitter.

the larger the better. the higher the better.

but space and guy wires can limit options.

and Forget/Ignore advertising of Digital signals.. any good VHS/UHF antenna is good for your needs.. and a powered amplifier may not be needed.

50-80 depending what city I want as the crow files. Yes an amp will be needed.
Before the roof I have received signals over 80 miles away

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
you do not say the miles to transmitter.

the larger the better. the higher the better.

but space and guy wires can limit options.

and Forget/Ignore advertising of Digital signals.. any good VHS/UHF antenna is good for your needs.. and a powered amplifier may not be needed.