cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anti-virus recommendations.....

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
We presently have Kaspersky 2013 and will need to renew/replace in about 3-4 months. I am sure this is one of those Chevy/Dodge/Ford questions.
I am even thinking of going the AVAST or AVG route as they seem to be highly rated for the freebee programs. My first BUY choice would probably be the Norton. Rumor has it that it is not invasive like it used to be. A recommendation I got from someone said to go with Microsoft Security Essentials but sometimes I get the impression that the Microsoft stuff may tend to be over rated.
Thanks.
Rick and Patti 🙂
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES 🙂
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY
22 REPLIES 22

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
A free one! I currently use MSE along with Spybot S&D
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Steve_Martin
Explorer
Explorer
I have MSE installed on over 3000 machines in my school district. Not once have I had an issue with it. Seems to work very well.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
I use the free AVG.

I used this for many years until I installed win 8 and now use the microsoft version.
bumpy

weasel4
Explorer
Explorer
Wet Coast
I echo your sentiments on using MSE. I've been using it since it was released, and I also install it on any computer I am repairing.

Removing Norton and/or McAfee in my opinion, gives the computer a breath of fresh life. Many times when transferring files from a customers computer to my backup disc, MSE has detected a virus/worm/Trojan from the customers computer that have been running McAfee or Norton.
BTC

Wet_Coast
Explorer
Explorer
As a technical support person at a college and seen it all, I would recommend Microsoft Security Essentials hands down. We use it here on over 2000 machines with no issues. I have used it personally for over 5 years. It catches whatever comes through and best part is it’s free.

MacAfee is a pig and resource hog, Norton is the equivalent of a virus.

I am sure these comments will bring on a little discussion 🙂

My .025
04 3500 4X4 Auto Cummins QC
Onboard air, Air bags, Pac Brake
05 Cougar 244EFS, Flexair Pin Box, Dexter Equalizers
6x6v, 900watt, 60a Renology MPPT, 2200w Xantrex, 3500w IPower Genset
VA7RKC Advanced

Everything runs on smoke, don't let the smoke out

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I use the free AVG.

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
I use BitDefender Internet Security 2013, but would recommend any of the big 3:

Kaspersky
BitDefender
Norton 360

They are basically on par with each other. It becomes a matter of personal preference/comfort level. I do not recommend McAfee.

What I do recommend is buying from an online retailer like Amazon and buying a multi-year subscription. I have 3 PCs and on Amazon I bought a 3 PC/2yr copy of BitDefender Internet Security 2013. I've seen Norton 360 with a 5 PC license (not sure if t's for 1 year or 2 years).

Here's the trick: Don't pay the renewal fee when it's time to renew. Instead buy a new multi-year subscription from an online retailer. BitDefender only offers 3PCs/1yr, but Amazon also offers it as 3PCs/2yrs (for a few $$ more). The $$ savings are in the multi-year subscription.

With BitDefender (I assume this applies to the other brands as well) my subscription lets me download and install the most current version of the software as soon as the new version is available. So when it's time to renew I just buy a new 3PC/2yr copy from Amazon. Since my installed version of the software is the same as what is in the box, I only need the registration key on the CD to renew the software for 2 more years.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

ccchuck
Explorer
Explorer
I use Norton, supplied free by comcast - it is lighter on its feet than it used to be, I also run AVG free which is a no-no, never two AV but it works for me.

The only AV that has ever failed me big time was McAfee.
RVing since '74..