cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any "Real" Unlimited Plans?

Texsinbad
Explorer
Explorer
Within the next couple of months, we hope to hit the road and looking for “real” unlimited data for internet while traveling.

Things might change, but we probably stream/download 50 gigs a DAY. So, we really need unlimited plan.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
55 REPLIES 55

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
We use anywhere from 600GB to 1TB per month, on "grandfatherered unlimited" plans we lease from a reseller.

RVMobileInternet has lists of resellers you can purchase from. These plans aren't cheap - we pay $240/mo for unlimited Verizon and AT&T plans, and that is with cheaper pricing we locked in years ago.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

Tom_M wrote:
I have Visible and have used as much as 300GB in a month. I think Visible would consider 1500GB excessive and probably shut you down.

Visible unlimited has not set specific data limits on 4G LTE, though I would agree with Tom M that 1.5T a month would get your account flagged. It also states to stream video at 480P though have been able to so in HD.

I have another mobile account with AT&T that allocates 400G of 4G data before network prioritization, and permits 4K video though don't personally stream at that resolution as would eat up data allowance quickly. It's also compatible with 4G router. Still nowhere near you're data requirements.

Realistically, you need to reassess your data usage if going wireless. Unless, you want to pay the equivalent of a car payment each month?

riah
Explorer
Explorer
Seasons Greetings! Be safe and enjoy your travels!

One other thought, maybe an over the air antenna might be helpful to watch local TV where you are camping for the night! That way you won’t need to stream!!

Texsinbad wrote:
I really appreciate all of the comments/suggestions. I am "senior" who only carries a pre-paid cell phone for emergencies. I tell you this so you know that I am NOT up-to-date when it comes to cell phones, plans available, and technology in general.

So, I now know more what I can do when we do start travelling. Being retired, I don't have to have internet everyday. Besides not being technical, I am also not rich. That means that I don't want to spend a lot of money and buy equipment that I won't know how to use or install.

When we start traveling, I won't be able to continue as I usually do, but we won't have to worry about not having anything to watch.

We are planning on taking 1-3 months trips, and then return home for a month or so.

I will find one of the better "unlimited" plans at the best price, and then I will just have to play catch-up on downloading when we are at home.

Again, thanks everyone for helping me get more current with what is available.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
magicbus wrote:
jcpainter wrote:
I have two AT&T Mobley plans and they are not subject to "throttling", just network management. . . there's a HUGE difference.
For the pedantic among us, yes deprioritization , not throttling. Both however result in slower data speeds which I would expect are PITA for those who choose to stream.

Dave

I was surprised how well my Mobley streamed movies without hiccups in busy areas of SF (Fishermans Wharf) and Sacramento.

I have NEVER had the Mobley service buffer my streaming. Cool, huh!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Texsinbad
Explorer
Explorer
I really appreciate all of the comments/suggestions. I am "senior" who only carries a pre-paid cell phone for emergencies. I tell you this so you know that I am NOT up-to-date when it comes to cell phones, plans available, and technology in general.

So, I now know more what I can do when we do start travelling. Being retired, I don't have to have internet everyday. Besides not being technical, I am also not rich. That means that I don't want to spend a lot of money and buy equipment that I won't know how to use or install.

Right now, I stream/download everything through my computer, and then watch via hdmi cable on my 75" Sony 4k tv.

Everyday, I am downloading movies/shows (mostly tv shows). For us, the internet has made the whole world available to us. We watch shows/movies for all over the world-Korea, Japan, Germany, Russia, Australia, England, and Thailand to name a few. We don't mind reading subtitles.

I don't keep track of my usage, but recently saw that I downloaded about 20 gigs, which was a slow day, and I am sure that I occasionally download a 100 gigs a day.

I have probably 12 TB on external hard drives saved up, which sounds like a lot, but probably 60% or more we won't like and will just delete.

When we start traveling, I won't be able to continue as I usually do, but we won't have to worry about not having anything to watch.

We are planning on taking 1-3 months trips, and then return home for a month or so.

I will find one of the better "unlimited" plans at the best price, and then I will just have to play catch-up on downloading when we are at home.

Again, thanks everyone for helping me get more current with what is available.

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
jcpainter wrote:
I have two AT&T Mobley plans and they are not subject to "throttling", just network management. . . there's a HUGE difference.
For the pedantic among us, yes deprioritization , not throttling. Both however result in slower data speeds which I would expect are PITA for those who choose to stream.

Dave

The big difference between throttling and network management is that throttling lasts from when you hit the 22GB usage until the end of your billing cycle. Network management only slows down when the towers are super busy and then resumes normal speed when they are not. Network management can last a few minutes, hours, or days depending on your location and tower traffic during a specific time of day.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
magicbus wrote:
jcpainter wrote:

Dave

I was surprised how well my Mobley streamed movies without hiccups in busy areas of SF (Fishermans Wharf) and Sacramento.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
jcpainter wrote:

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutch_12078 wrote:
I've been using my Mobley SIM in a Netgear hotspot for a couple of years now, with no complaints from AT&T. One of their retail stores even replaced a faulty SIM with no problem. I regularly use 100-150 GB/mo with it and haven't received any notices from AT&T except the monthly billing notice.

This has been my experience as well. I have used 400-500 GB a couple of times when I have thought to check the router. I have never been contacted by AT&T.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using my Mobley SIM in a Netgear hotspot for a couple of years now, with no complaints from AT&T. One of their retail stores even replaced a faulty SIM with no problem. I regularly use 100-150 GB/mo with it and haven't received any notices from AT&T except the monthly billing notice.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
The most I ever used on my Mobley was around 50 gig, but recently I have started to get an email from AT&T if I’m over 16 gig mid-billing cycle. They let me know I might be throttled if I go over 22 gig. I never noticed they do actually throttle me since I don’t stream much video.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

MrWizard
22gig of high speed data, after THAT they throttle your data bandwidth aka speed if tower is busy
Very unlikely to make that 50gig of 4k streaming very often, first day of the billing cycle maybe,? after that with throttling, I don't see how you will attain that much use very often during the month
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MrWizard
I have one also, can't be more than 4 years old I think, I'll have to check my AT&T account to see when it was created, I thinking will be 4 years Feb 2021
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe you can find someone like me with a grandfathered AT&T Mobley hotspot with true limited data that is willing to sell to you. Mine has good reception everywhere I go and I use it as internet backup at home with the AC adapter. Cost for me around $22.00 per month I have used it for many years. Never ever been throttled or caped or warned. Cheers to youa